Urgent...... suggestions req

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:07 pm

In less than 4 weeks time we have 2 functions to attend in the UK, one a wedding celebration, smart casual and a full blown wedding the following week. Same set of guests at both.

I hate clothes shopping not least because here in Sevilla I have no idea where to look. Sorry to say that all I have found in past fruitless searches have been old fashioned suits and dresses or fashion for thin people which I no longer am.

Has anyone got any suggestions please, been in El Corte and up and down Sierpes and Tetuan many times.

HELP !

cj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cj » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi ValL
You do not say what age range you are looking for or what budget. I know from experience that sometimes finding the right outfit in Spain can be difficult with not the same choice as the UK. You could always order something on-line in the UK and have it delivered to a UK address.

Chrissie
Resident

Urgent

Postby Chrissie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm

What about Zara :?:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:00 pm

I would order loads of stuff online to a UK address. Try them on when I get to the UK and send back the stuff I don't want. With Next & M&S you just take the stuff back to the shop if you don't want to post it. For larger ladies what about Evans?

cool breeze
Tourist

Postby cool breeze » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Do try M&S, they have some surprising stuff there now. After years of avoiding the shop (I though I was too young!) over the last year it has come up with a great outfit for a wedding, an 80th (not mine) and a trendy winter combo. One shop, no quibble returns and a wide selection of styles.

Enjoy the trip to the UK.
If you don't have dreams how can you expect them to come true?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:48 pm

I am in my 50's but not ready for twinset and pearls! Hmm budget well not that limited lets say. Size wise, depends on shops styles etc etc ( very annoying there is NO standard) probably somewhere from 16 to 18 a bit top heavy :oops:

I am too big for Zara I think.

As to ordering lots on line... 1st you need to find something suitable, ( I hate trawling through lots of sites that are not what they say)

then there is the fact we only we arrive in UK approx 3 hrs before 1st function so not time to try anything on. By then it needs to be in my case and ready to wear !

Last time I looked in any Evans shop their sizes :shock: :) were too big and styles err mmm not my taste.

I was hoping somebody would know of some shops in Se villa, I HAVE to go this week and hopefully find something ... I loathe it :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:57 pm

It is a problem in spain, they seem to cater for the 60 yr olds or 17 year olds. There is a choice of 80's style clothes or skirts up your bum. Zara is ok. but I always take a size larger than normal there. And why do they have so much glizz here...shinkle, shinkle :roll:

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:08 pm

How do you order on-line and get deliveries to a UK address? I find that a store will only despatch to the address on the credit/debit card. My cards are registered to a Spanish address and Next, M&S, Debenhams etc will not send out of UK - so I cannot purchase. When it comes to gifts I can send to another address but not from these sites. I must admit I have not tried to order for the last few months as I have always found it impossible, so any hints please???
Last edited by Laslomas on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Nice (good quality) slinky fitting black trousers ... (or long skirt). Black spaghetti (good quality) t-shirt...just make sure the 2 blacks are the same shade. Then a lovely see through (glittery.....not cheap!) button blouse.....blue, gold, silver,.....lots of choices. :D
For the second 'do' just change the trousers/skirt and the blouse. The same shoes/bags etc can be used.
Always chose a basic style and dress it up with an really nice (expensive looking!) accessory.
Mix and match in the only way to travel in style and comfort...be it weddings or not.
A huge scarf can beautifully double as a quite exotic stole and the choice of materials and colour are great at the moment :idea:
Good luck :D
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Can't help with shops but Artigiano.com do some nice things if you are not too worried about the budget. Customer service and quality is good.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:28 pm

Laslomas - I haven't actually ordered from Spain and had a delivery in the UK with either Next or M&S so didn't realise that would be a problem.

I have ordered in the UK for a delivery in the UK at a different address than my card address though. You have the option to choose what address you want the delivery to go to during the order process.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:43 pm

Tha factory at Bormujos has lots of different shops, the baja planta in Corte Ingles in Tomares opposite Macdonalds, all different styles all on one floor. There is a very nice dress shop, in Mazagon (in Huelva ) if you fancy a drive out, very dressy, all sizes. Sorry but can't give directions as I can't quite remember where it is, we sort of just came across it, have noticed another one in Almonte, though have never been in it, its on a corner next to a photography shop in the main Square, just head for the church.

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Factory at Bormujos might be worth a look, gracias Pilgrim. And can you recall roughly where in Mazagon, as we are there often.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:17 pm

laclotte, thanks but I don't need help to find what to wear but where to find something in my style size :) nightmare person to shop with I am ! I rarely do trousers or glittery see thru things

Marina, ta will have a look at that one :)

pilgrim, great thanks .. In Mazagon is it on the left before the churros and patatas van just past the police station ?

As Don says the factory place may be worth a look ta

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:01 am

www.asos.com have fabulous stuff.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:36 am

The only shops which I look in for clothes are,Punta Roma,Cortefiel and El Corte Inglés.These are the only ones which I know have my size and somethings which I like! Mind you I do find clothes much more expensive here than in U.K.

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:34 am

katy wrote:It is a problem in spain, they seem to cater for the 60 yr olds or 17 year olds. There is a choice of 80's style clothes or skirts up your bum. Zara is ok. but I always take a size larger than normal there. And why do they have so much glizz here...shinkle, shinkle :roll:
Now I'm going to ask a question... and porbably get a slap in the process.

Now remeber I'm a man, and dont understand such things...

Why is it a problem that you take a size larger than normal at Zara, if it fits and looks good why does it matter what the size label says?

(now running for cover...)

Don

Postby Don » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:46 am

Also as a man here and with a particular interest in this thread, I would say it doesnt matter what the label says provided you can get a fit. Just recently I bought some new pantalones in Corte Ingles but found that in one cut I needed a size up from what I needed in another cut. Provided they stock both sizes there is no problem - I just bought the ones to fit.

But if you are searching for what you think is a size 14 and you actually need a size 16 in a particular cut and then the shop says they only do up to size 14, they you are stuck. Effectively the shop may say they do up to 14, but their 14 is like anyone elses size 12. I wish it was as simple as to go and find something which looks good and then select the size label you normally need. But its not.

mary b
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mary b » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:41 pm

I agree Mans are great now ,bit of a way to Gib though
i never repeat gossip,so listen very carefully

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:01 pm

On this page
http://www.paginasamarillas.es/tallas-g ... _1504.html
you will find a list of shops for larger sizes.
Mind you if the wedding celebrations are in UK you might need warmer clothes.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.