Ladies Clothes

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
kexon
Resident

Ladies Clothes

Postby kexon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:06 pm

I am curious to know what other women do with their clothes that are surplus to requirements, due to the fact that i have spent the last year or more lugging around cement blocks and cement,I have a surplus of clothes that no longer fit,some of which have hardly been worn at all.In the uk i used to take them into the local charity shops but I dont really know what to do with them here?

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:33 pm

hi kexon. i had the same problem as yourself. i solved it by giving all my surplus clothes that were too big for me to the greenhouse workers. They were very grateful for them and i was pleased they´d gone to good use.

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:55 pm

We give all our surplus to the Cudeca people seeing as they do such a worthwhile job for the sick.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:22 am

i ebay mine! :lol: :lol:

mary b
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mary b » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:30 am

There are lots of charity shops .Adana for animal rescue
i never repeat gossip,so listen very carefully

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Not much help for you Kexon, I know, but in Nerja there is a second hand clothes shop that takes in nearly new ladies clothes and gives you a % of the price when it's sold. I have sold a few things in the past (my mother-in-law used to buy me things and I just didn't like them so they went straight down there :wink: ). Nowadays I give anything in good condtion to the CAS or Cudeca shop. Also, on the Costa here there is a container for old clothes that is a good idea which I think is run by an African childrens charity. If they are wearable they go into their charity shops or otherwise they are recycled which also raises money. I put old tee shirts and things in there that would normally be binned as it seems that even they can also be used by someone to raise money.

kexon
Resident

Ladies Clothes

Postby kexon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:52 pm

Many Thanks for all your replies ladies! Yes i have e-bayed some of the un-worn clothes,and will now find some charity shops,though i suspect they are mostly on the coast,in which case I shall have to store some to make the journey worthwhile,have to say the cudeca appeals the most.At the rate at which i am piling on the muscle I will soon have a suitcase full!!

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:32 pm

I would like to have given mine to an animal charity - but I don't know who would buy them - they were all 8s and 10s. So I chucked them in the recycling textile bin outside our local church. You might have one of those in Sevilla.

mary b
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mary b » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi Kexton
There is a Christmas fair next to the Gecko in Estacion cortes on the 8th of December .I am having a stall to stop child traficking .I am asking for donations for this charity .The riverkids project in Cambodia .All donations accepted
i never repeat gossip,so listen very carefully

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Most of the charities for animals cater for dogs and cats. Are they not too small for these clothes? :?

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Nope just the wrong shape! :D

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:27 pm

[quote="palmtrees"]I would like to have given mine to an animal charity - but I don't know who would buy them - they were all 8s and 10s.

er, maybe people size 8/10 would buy them??!!

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:50 pm

8/10 ? not where I live

we must live in different places

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:17 pm

i´m a 4/6 and live in a spanish area.there are loads of spanish girls around here size 8/10. i see you´re in Gib where it will be predominently british - maybe they´re bigger?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:22 pm

What a silly statement :roll: People who live in Gib come from various corners of the globe. Jewish, Indian, Maltese and of course, many Spanish that have married Gibraltarians! Is being overweight confined to holders of Brit passports!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:45 pm

are you dense as well as pompous Katy? :roll: :roll: duuhhh, Gib being GBP means most people are british. And if not, then that is a silly sentence that there are no size 8/10 people where you live!!I do not believe that for one second.
and quite frequently i hear on the british radio about the obesity problems, most likely to do with the different past-times of spanish kids and english kids. you do not hear about that problem (on such a scale) on the spanish radio/press.

To be honest Katy i cant stand people with the "ooh, i´m a size 8/10 and there is no-one else as slim as me" attitude.

You cannot truthfully tell me there are no size 8/10´s in Gib!!!

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:12 pm

For clarification - I junked off my clothes sizes 8 & 10 in Spain. My profile should say I live in Andalucía and Gib. My neighbours in my Spanish pueblo are not size 8, 10. It is not a city, there are no slim guapa women. Certainly beyond the age of 12. The charity shops in the nearest town are not frequented by young slim women - or not that I have noticed.

With regards to Gib, Katy is right people do come from everywhere. Apart from anything else it is not predominantly British, local people are Gibraltarian. How many British speak Spanish and English (and llanito) fluently? Gib being GBP does NOT mean most people are British at all. (Incidentally, the currency in Gib is sterling issued by the govt of Gibraltar, although the British pound is accepted, as is the Euro). Like most cities there are some slim women, and a lot of fatter women. I did not say there were no 8s 10s in Gib.

Now please argue with me as it was me that said there were no 8s and 10s in my village. If you are a 4/6 you are obviously very slim. When you say there are girls around you in Matalascañas size 8/10 I assume you mean girls and not women. Regardless of that, I do not think pre-teen young girls in either my Spanish pueblo, Gib, or Matalascañas will want 80s style clothes discarded by a 40-odd year-old woman who has hung onto them for years.

And regarding obesity, the now teenage sons of my Spanish next door neighbours are gross. As is the teenage girl who lives behind us. Obesity is not confined to the British.

Finally, I have obviously mixed in narrow ( :roll: )circles because I have always been slimmer than everyone else I've known. I don't think I have ever been precious about it, although always thought I was lucky. I mentioned the sizes because it was relevant to what I did with the clothes.

I didn't expect a debate about the relative sizes of women in Spain, Gibraltar and Britain, although happy to join in :D - with apologies to kexon for threadjack of course. Apart from anything else I still have some more clothes that I can't decide whether to junk or wait a few years until they fit me again. Will they be in fashion again? :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:59 pm

Palmtrees has more or less said what I would have said. But, I don't think I mentioned my size :? I think/thought that you are infering that brit people are larger and that they are fatter in Gib because they are Brits? Not pompous at all just can't let bulls.. hit go without a comment.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:11 am

Just to join in with this...briefly...
Palmtrees worte:
Apart from anything else it is not predominantly British, local people are Gibraltarian. How many British speak Spanish and English (and llanito) fluently?
If you are refering to the Gibraltarian people speaking Spanish???Fluently...

Im really sorry there palm..but im afraid you are totally wrong...Gibraltarians DO NOT speak Spanish Fluently at all...and actually talk a sort of Spanish that we "locals" prefer to call....GIBBERISH! :shock:
they mix their own use of the english language with some spanish...that to majority of spaniards really doesnt make a lot of sense!
I also would certainly NOT class these people as British...only when it
suits them to be! :roll:

kexon
Resident

Ladies Clothes

Postby kexon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Many Thanks for all your replies ladies,I shall find out where Cudeca are based and also thanks Wicksey the shop in Nerja sounds a good bet for a couple of really good quality jackets that no longer fit and I do manage to get to the coast once or twice a year.