Postal charges from Gib to UK - Xmas Cards

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Liz Fox
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postal charges from Gib to UK - Xmas Cards

Postby Liz Fox » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:42 am

Is it cheaper to post my Christmas Cards from Gibraltar to the UK as we are going to Gib on Monday? From Spain to UK each one costs me an average of €1.07 cos they're slightly heavier than a normal letter. Any advice would be useful.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:31 pm

I believe as Gib is not part of the EU it is probably more expensive!
Ah! the full english!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:39 pm

no idea, but let us know so we all know for the future?

perhaps princess peach can answer this question for us?

fantasy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fantasy1 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm

It costs 50p and takes around 4 days.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm

Airmail to UK:-

LETTERS not exceeding 20g - 0.40p
Each additional 10g - 0.15p
POSTCARD 0.40p
AIR LETTERS 0.40p

It's usually a very quick delivery as they arrive in the UK same day if posted before noon.

Sid

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:20 pm

I posted my cards on Wednesday, costing 1.07 each and they arrived in the UK yesterday...Friday :shock: Can't believe they were so quick!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi Liz-A stamp in Gib -for a standard letter is around-40p
I have posted(in the past)several letters and items through Gib,and a few went adrift,so it put me off.
if your letters are posted early enough they go out on the same day flight in Gib.
I no longer ship any items through Gibraltar and always use the spanish postal system.
sorry,that i cant be of any more help.

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 pm

My OH went to UK last Thurs and a number of Brits in the village gave her their xmas cards to post.

Looking forward to her coming back on Mon with lots of goodies, and of course I have been missing her.

With the hols and everything it has felt like a sunday for the past few days it is so quite.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:29 pm

There are some accomplished liars about.....at an airport is no-one asked "has anyone given you anything to take for them..." when checking in?
And has anyone said "yes", when they are carrying supposed presents from "friends of friends", batches of letters and cards....?
Please do not say that it doesn't matter because it is only a few cards.....the person stood next to you in the queue that doesn't look Iranian, or Muslim could just be carrying a very different sort of present - letter bombs or a teddy bear with the same given name that Cassius Clay chose.........
As I have said before, all the security checks that are imposed on us to travel these days are a load of cobblers, because people say what suits them, rather than the truth!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:49 pm

my mum just posted a card to my brother UK-UK 4 working days
i posted a card to my mum same day Spain - UK 3 working days

i sent 5 parcels (all same size and weight) Spain - UK on 21st Nov, 1 arrived in 5 days, 1 arrived in 7 days, 2 arrived in 12 days...and 1 still not arrived!!!!

Luck of the draw, i guess!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:51 pm

OMG-peter you are so right-i read this too,and the thought never even crossed my mind! :shock:
that would be the sort of thing i wouldve done,thinking you are doing people a favour,by posting their letters,when really you could be harbouring drugs or any type of potential dangers in the aircraft.
Im sure-no harm was meant by her doing this. :wink:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:55 pm

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions..................... :twisted:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:56 pm

karandjon-did you ship your parcels registered or normal?
I always ship everything registered,and it always gets there.
you can track them on the internet-via-correos-very easy to do.a little bit more expensive,but at least the items get there.!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:57 pm

peter wrote:
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions..................... :twisted:
peter dont say that...your scaring the life outta me!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:21 pm

princess peach wrote:karandjon-did you ship your parcels registered or normal?
I always ship everything registered,and it always gets there.
you can track them on the internet-via-correos-very easy to do.a little bit more expensive,but at least the items get there.!
Hi PP, yes, i´m tracking them on internet.its no problem, just interesting how they all take varying times!Especially as the first received and the one that will be last received are both the same town!!!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:23 pm

I just get a bit fed up with all the waffle and pretence that exists in this world:
Is every employee of vending companies, delivery companies, shops and every other company operating at an airport thoroughly security checked?
How come what has replaced British Rail can provide carriages where mobile phones do not work, yet prisons seem unable to think about installing the simple loops needed? It couldn't be because the screws are boosting their Christmas funds by turning blind eyes, could it now!
Why have airlines tried to pretend that mobile phones will cause planes to drop out of the sky (when commonsense and research both show that there are on average three mobiles left switched on in hand luggage on every aircraft) instead of just owning up to it being an excuse to stop mobile-bores being beaten up by fellow-passengers fed up with the transfer of "I'm on the 'train" to the airlines?!
It is a bit frightening when the blinkers are taken off! :D :D :D

Liz Fox
Andalucia.com Amigo

Thanks, El Cid

Postby Liz Fox » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for that information El Cid! I don't know how much they weigh but I do know that it costs €1.07 from Spain - I have quite a few so it mounts up so I'd love to save a little. As I'm not in a hurry I'll take them with me and ask at the post office and post them if they're cheaper. I'll let you know the comparison after I've been.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Peter that point you make about the question at the airport "Are you carrying anything for anyone"..........I thought the same as you 'till last year but it is not like that I found out.

I was asked the question and I answered truthfully at Manchester airport..........."Yes, 4 packets of gingernuts, a box of oxo,merangue cases and Tetley tea bags" which we'd been asked to take over for. OH glared at me and the the check-in lady also did and thought I was taking the ****.

I don't think the question means what you think it does

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:06 pm

It is a bit different you going out to buy the products, then packing them yourself in your own luggage, rather than someone giving you a parcel, or even what looks like a tin of Bisto or whatever and asking you to take it, don't you think? The question is not designed to find out if you are a kind-hearted chap, but if you have been stupid enough to pack something that has not been under your control, methinks! :roll: :D

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 pm

Ahhh, just read back,I see where your coming from :idea: .........the envelopes could have had nasty powders in them etc.