Spate of Burglaries

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

Spate of Burglaries

Postby Paula » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Take care everyone, we were robbed two weeks ago. I was out of the house for 1hr 15mins between 7.30pm - 8.45pm.
When I went to the Guardia to file a denuncia they told me there has been a plaque of house robberies through December and ongoing. Along the coast and inland AEG, Coin etc. Usually early evening, and houses that are obviously occupied.
Since ours, two friends in other urbanisations have also suffered, hallmarks of the same group doing it.
We thought our house was pretty secure :shock: so revisit your security and put in place anything extra that you think may save you from these scumbags.

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:41 pm

my neighbours were robbed at the beginning of December . They cut through the iron grills on the window,and took their valuables . It was reported to the police and they were aware that there is a group going around either gypsies or illegal immigrants. They don't hold out in getting their stuff back but are insured. This was on top of just loosing a son in an accident and her other half has just had a heart attack. their Christmas was not a great time for them but her friends have rallied round

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:29 pm

theres a gang going round aeg at the moment. a few houses we know have been robbed, 95% in the campo. one house had its pool pump, and control box robbed!! .. the other had a load of designer clothes and an ipod and a plasma tv nicked, but not the ipod dock or the sky box (so they wern't english :lol: ) then the next one had the land rover nicked .. they took his gate off, laid it down and drove over it :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:14 pm

sheilap wrote:my neighbours were robbed at the beginning of December . They cut through t It was reported to the police and they were aware that there is a group going around either gypsies or illegal immigrants.
It's funny it's never the Spanish, or gypsies if they are! :D We were in Torrevieja a few years back(don't go there, it's awful!) and there were dozens of break ins. Spoke to one poor guy and he had been done 3 times. Police told him it was Eastern Europeans, but he told us he had seen them on one occasion, and according to him, he was adamant, they were Spanish!
Even if it isn't immigrants, they'll get the blame. :D Friend of ours had her car broken into near Almuñecar, it was romanian fruit pickers there that get the blame.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Kind of agree with you Frank, as the alarm guy that came out was adamant that it isn't Spanish doing the current burglaries. The Guardia also blamed eastern Europeans, though confessed that they don't know who it is.
Personally I don't care if it were the Gibraltar bloody Apes, I'm just annoyed that whoever it was forced entry to our home and took our belongings that we paid for through working for a living rather than thieving. :evil:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm

With no documentary proof and being unable to identify my source for obvious reasons I am reluctant to post this information but... what the hell.

I understand that the Guardia Civil have had orders from a 'higher authority' not to pursue complaints of burglaries as long as the offenders stick to properties owned by foreigners.

If this is true (and I have no reason to believe that it isn't) it represents a sinister development in relations between the non-Spanish population and the authority from which this order came.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:53 pm

Well it doesn't surprise me Beach.
The local Police didn't come out when I called them, on calling them back they said they couldn't find my street :roll: Glad I wasn't being murdered at the time.
Nor did they come out to my two friends who have since been burgled.
When I told the Guardia that the police didn't respond he just shrugged his shoulders.
Though the insurance company of course are adamant that the police should have been to fingerprint etc.
It does make you rather concerned what would happen if you were in the house and under threat.

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Thats disgraceful....

Still, they more these burglars are free to rob, the greater chance of a "foreign" home owner catching one and beating the shisters to death....

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:04 pm

And presumably the Police will show the same lack of interest? Maybe not if the burglar that you whack turns out to be Spanish after all.

Don

Postby Don » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:13 pm

So far (touch wood) my house has not been targetted, only lost my wallet in the street (when speaking English with another), but my Spanish neighbour was robbed a few years back just before I bought the house and he explained that he was now armed so if they came back to his house, he would shoot them. I queried if this was'nt a tad illegal but as far as he is concerned, its what they deserve.

Having tackled a burglar escaping from a neighbours house in the UK, who promptly threw the TV he was carrying at me and legged it, I was appalled at the damage done to the house and furniture all for the sake of a second hand TV which would have been worth a fraction of the value of all the damage to the house and my neighbour's life. I do feel sorry for those who are hit.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:52 pm

apparently if you "beat someone up" or even shoot someone thats robbing your house, as long as they are inside the property you cant be punished for it, is this right?

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Don't know SL, but you try it first then let me know :lol:
It's legal in Florida, as long as they are on your property and facing you, but you can't shoot them in the back as they scarper over the fence.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:41 pm

I cannot comment on whether or not Beachcomber's report is correct, but let's be clear, in most countries in Europe now burglaries are not investigated unless there is some real hard evidence apparent right at the start.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 pm

after a burglary the last thing you want is a police man. you need a crime scene investigator who is skilled enough to examine the forensic evidence and to obtain anything that may be used in a prosecution. most police would not know about this.
if a burglary is actually occurring at the time then this should be a totally different 'kettle of fish'.

Don

Postby Don » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:10 am

spanish_lad wrote:apparently if you "beat someone up" or even shoot someone thats robbing your house, as long as they are inside the property you cant be punished for it, is this right?
This got me thinking SL, now that I know I have 415 v available in the house, how long does it take to reduce a burgler to unrecognisable parts with a 415 v nose to toe connection :idea:

A burger would take a mere minute or so I reckon. :twisted:

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 am

when we we robbed, the guardia came etc...anyway talking to one officer, he joked that if in the future I chased the robber and caught him, i should drag him back to my property for a beating before the they (Gurdia) arrive!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:31 am

flan_taster wrote:after a burglary the last thing you want is a police man. you need a crime scene investigator who is skilled enough to examine the forensic evidence
You're hoping! :D I agree with Alan, unless anyone is injured, the police don't seem to have burglaries very high on their list of priorities. Give you a crime number for the insurance people, and that's about it nowadays. Car accidents here are similar, again unless anyone is injured, they are happy for you to sort it out yourselves.
Regards, Frank

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:16 am

I was burgled in the UK a few years ago, The police knew exactly who had done it and did absolutely nothing about it....it's not just Spain :cry:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Diane, Alan said "in most countries in Europe", and I was agreeing with that, so was very much including UK. :D
Regards, Frank

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:53 pm

A neighbour of ours was burgled just before Christmas, and their experience was very different to those posted above, Local police at the scene within 5 minutes of being called,with the guardia in hot persuit. Following morning, more local police, guardia, finger print man etc. Can't speak highly enough about them. Mind you the '902 number' was not in the least interested, all the above happened from a call to the LP direct.