Sierra Nevada?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
daisylulu

Sierra Nevada?

Postby daisylulu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:49 am

We are going to go to Sierra Nevada on Saturday. We haven't been before and don't really know what to expect....we are just going for a look really and to let the children play on the sledge and throw some snowballs :lol:

Is there a recommended area or do we just follow the crowd.....is there a coffee shop there to warm up :lol:

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:25 pm

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:29 pm

do check the snow reports before you go....for 2 reasons....if there's a massive downfall of snow, you may need to be equipped with snow chains etc.....alternatively, if no snow has fallen, you may want to wait....

I went last Sat with the kids, and to be honest, sledging was great because the sledging slopes had enough compact snow (ice) to make it possible to sled, however, there wasn't snow for snowballs or snowmen, and I watched two little ones tumble from a sledge and one graze his face quite badly on the coarse ice!

Anyways, first time I went was a disaster, basically pulled up in the car park (the main one for the ski resort) and couldnt find anywhere to sled!

You need to go up the mountain road, and when you get to the main car park for the resort, dont follow the road for this car park, instead keep going up the mountain towards hoyo de something or other, basically until you cant go any higher...At this point there is a big area just for sledging...(or is it sledding??!).,..there are several huts which do food and drink and hire sleds....

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Thankyou both :D

That's great James...I will check the snowfall but it is my daughters birthday on Monday so it is really a day out for her as she has wanted to go for ages. Fingers crossed there will be some snow :D

cookin' andy

Postby cookin' andy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:10 pm

hey daisylu

how did you get on with your visit to Sierra Nevada? We are thinking of doing exactly the same thing next weekend and wonder if you would share any advice that you discovered from your visit?

Thanks

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 pm

HI Andy,

We had a great time....there wasn't as much snow as I had expected but there were skiers and snow boarders on the slopes and we found some snow for the kids to sledge in so they were happy :D

Parking is strange!! There are a couple of underground carparks I think but we just stopped on the side of the road which loads of people were doing. Not sure what happens when it's really busy.

We plan to go again soon.....when there is more snow, infact I came on to see if there was an update but can't see one.

Have a good time :D