European Savings Directive

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

European Savings Directive

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:05 pm

Received a letter from my UK bank, Barclays, today.
Contains a form required by the European Savings Directive.
Don't have any savings in the UK or much money in my UK account.
Anyway one of the requirements is to send them a copy of my current passport or national identity card.
Whichever one is sent my photo must be clear on the copy.
Why is a photo ID needed to ensure I pay tax on my savings?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:12 pm

I hate to be a sceptic Gerry but are you sure it's genuine. What postcode do you have to send the information too. :?:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:15 pm

I had one of these as well. There was a reply paid envelope to a Glasgow address but no address on the letter.

I am checking with my own branch of Barclays in Guernsey but haven't a reply yet.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:49 pm

safeashouses wrote:I hate to be a sceptic Gerry but are you sure it's genuine. What postcode do you have to send the information too. :?:
I'm also a bit sceptical.
Glasgow G58 1BR on the pre paid envelope.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm

It is part of the EU anti money laundering regulations. If you have not already done so, you have to provide proof of identity, and proof of your address. The organisations who have written to me have provided decent information on the matter, and for each type of proof, a list of what is accepted; 7/8 different items in each case.

In one case a copy of my passport cerified by a bank official sufficed as proof of identity.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:53 pm

I had something similar from Capital One, which definitely came from them 'cos I asked, so I think they are genuine.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:59 am

We've had a couple of requests for proof of who we are since moving to Spain, but why oh why does the list of required evidence include UK bank statement (I live and bank in Spainm) Council Tax Bill (I live in Spain!) proof of UK benefit being recieved (I live in Spain) Current UK dirving license ( boring, but I live in Spain). Utility bills - In Spain our utility bills don't show the postal address, just the agrupation we live on! Oh well, makes life interesting!