have you eaten anything....

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
hedonist
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hedonist » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:34 am

I heard of two snails going down a small road in the Campo and they were attacked by a two tortoises..

The police asked them what happened..

The snails replied..

Not sure.. it all happened so quickly.
Do or do not... there is no try. Yoda

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:07 pm

costakid said " I have eaten chickens feet, ducks tongues and deep fried spiders in china. i turned my nose up at snake and monkey brains."

In Shenyang they offered live shrimp and it was considered a delicacy , also supposed to put lead in the pencil! Women did not eat them

Fred :D :D :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:30 pm

I once had a bowl of callos soup as part of a menu del dia. I thought it was pasta floating around until I looked it up when I got home and found it was tripe. It wasn't too hideous, but not sure I would have it by choice.

I love calamaritos but haven't had the really tiny ones for ages - it's probably illegal to catch them so small :cry: Had venison yesterday in the Montes de Malaga - really delicious. Had quail as part of a 'menu' the other week which is unusual. They were very tasty but a bit on the small and bony side. You really have to just pick then up and nibble the meat off rather than faff around with the knife and fork (or am I just being slovenly?)

I like Migas too, both the type made of breadcrumbs and the couscous type that they make here in Torrox for the Migas Festival each Christmas.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:43 pm

When they eat sparrows they put the whole ones in their mouth, chew it a bit, then spit out the bones.

They don't seem to know how to cook calamares these days, very hit and miss. Almost always rubbery. Don't know if they overcook them or they are just frozen ones :?

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:20 pm

You all sound really brave :? to me. I couldn't ever eat some of the things you have all tried. I'm really not very adventurous when it comes to trying food, if I don't know what it is I couldn't possibly try it.
Even if I do know what it is, doesn't mean I will eat it. (Offal for instance)
So many things in typically Spanish restaurants that I just wouldn't touch. Usually plump for the tortilla.
Think I'm borderline vegetarian.
I was out to dinner with a friend last week at a posh restaurant, she ordered snails to start followed by very rare steak. I may aswell have left immediately after she had ordered.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:38 pm

When eating in a tapas bar with a friend I spotted what I thought were cubes of liver in a tomato sauce so I ordered some. The texture seemed a bit different from liver but it tasted OK so I carried on eating it. It wasn't until I'd finished that he told me it was sangre, literally congealed blood. I probably wouldn't have ordered it if I'd known!

The worst thing I ever ate was when I misunderstood a menu in Portugal and ordered what I thought was swordfish. What turned up was what I can only describe as porridge strongly flavoured with garlic which was made at the table on a spirit stove with a great deal of theatricality by the waiter. Apparently it was a great local delicacy but I found it very much of an acquired taste and not one ever likely to be acquired by me.

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:44 pm

My other half like's the black pudding you get in Spain, he says it tastes like a spicy christmas pudding. :shock:
Jenny

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Anyone tried Higado Blanco? I love it, OH goes out whilst I have it :?

Kenny

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Kenny, what part of the animal is that?
Jenny

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:51 pm

Jenny, I reckon it's the Lung 8) , although it translates as white liver.

It's very light and airy/spongy with windpipes and tubes sticking out of it. You coat it in flour and shallow fry, it really is nice

Kenny

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Isnt that called tripe over in the UK, my dad loved that cooked in milk with onions, he also liked chiclins, don't think I spelt that right, but they were the lining of the cows stomach, I think
Jenny

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Jenny the tripe is stomach lining as someone mentioned before (callo), I use that for my garbanzos, this stuff is actully the lung.
The other offal which a local resaurant does near us what's known in the UK as "sweetbreads"......I just forget what the Spanish call it at present, that was seved with seared scallops.

Kenny

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Just can't read any more on this thread :shock:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:05 pm

Wimp :twisted:

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Ive just remembered the "chiclins" were the cows udder lining.
Jenny

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:08 pm

6thanks for that Crazyred,i don't know when the best time in the year for collecting them, but this winter when we had about three days rain (January) i think, i look after some3 apartments ,and one of the ground floor ones, does not get hardly any sun, and after the rain their was loads in this garden, so next time they are going in the bucket,?? ha ha then i think, am i really that hungry, to kill all of them, arhhhhh, bloody gardeners are just about to scream at me ha ha

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:59 pm

I need that bucket Ken :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 pm

my grandma used to love chitlins...yuk! :oops:

Elsa-mary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Has anyone

Postby Elsa-mary » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:57 pm

Ken 2, :D
I have a feeling you must be a gardener, sorry I laughed so much when you said about getting your own back on the little fellows :lol:

Last year here in Jaen Province I could not BELIEVE HOW MANY OF THE
lITTLE FELLOWS,were in my new garden,almost broke my heart.
In fact posted on this site as thought I had some other disease attacking my plants.
So now buy snail killer by bucket full :roll:

Adios Elsa-Mary

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:38 am

I’m usually invited to join in when a neighbour has his ‘matanza’.
Last year he had some Rumanians working for him and they did a ‘matanza’ their way. Shortly after the kill, they sliced some skin off the pig, rubbed some salt into it, then we ate it.
It wasn’t that bad really, just salty and chewy :?

gretch