have you eaten anything....

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

have you eaten anything....

Postby princess peach » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:43 pm

O.K-
I was just wondering if any of you had eaten anything unusual while living in Spain that you wouldnt normally eat in UK.???

e.g-bulls balls..etc...

I havnt ,but seems a lot of you probably will have.
I will confess to tasting a wall to see if it was salty or not,thats about as bad as i have got... :shock: (shouldnt have said that should i??) :oops:

what wierd food have you eaten while being here??

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Sparrows and blackbirds...well, I didn't really eat them, just pushed them around the plate :cry:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:17 pm

I once had , well half of it, a battered deep fried wood lice served

with 'fish and chips', in a Spanish restaurant....Couldn't make my mind up

if it was a local delicacy, or an unfortunate mistake....

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:39 pm

Well, a spanish friend told me they eat anything that moves. Think he was just joking...I hope :)

itsmoirob
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: have you eaten anything....

Postby itsmoirob » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:54 pm

princess peach wrote:I will confess to tasting a wall to see if it was salty or not
Tasting a wall?

Has the £ dropped so much that you can't afford to eat and have started looking at your home to feed you?

I think I'd go for free tapas before eating the walls of my home.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Tasted it higher than dog height I hope :shock:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 pm

In Gerona a few years ago some locals were eating what looked like potato salad, as I fancied some, my O.H. went to the counter and pointed to the stuff.

I ended up with a plate of lard cubes, or at least they looked like that but could have been whale blubber as my fork bounced off them, even the pigeons turned their noses up it.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:21 pm

I have had quail in a campo restaurant, which also has "small quail" on the menu. It tasted OK but it was the size of a bulemic budgie, what on earth would a small quail look like? In the same area, they have an item "prey" on the menu, and it varies according to the local hunter's skill, or even road kill sometimes. You do not know when you order it what it is going to be. I never had wild boar in the UK, but love it here, mind you I wouldn't want to cuddle one.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:51 pm

:shock:
itsmoirob wrote:
Tasting a wall?

Has the £ dropped so much that you can't afford to eat and have started looking at your home to feed you?
No,not quite...my interior wall was growing white furry stuff(i just knew it would be salty)so i wet my finger and dabbed it on the fur,and tasted..i was correct..it was salty..
Paula-it wasnt above dog height...never thought about that! :shock: :shock:

I have seen the quails in manky donnas-and they do look like budgies..they make me feel ill..

Has anyone tried in the local indoor meat markets the red balls,they dress around the meat..(i think they are chicken livers..or something nasty) :shock:
also the stew packs with trotters and other nasty offal like things in..
I will give the spainsh credit-not an ounce of animal is wasted when its killed.. :oops:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Can anyone recommend somewhere that i can try snails locally to Velez malaga/vinuela/Torre Del mar.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:44 pm

there are plenty of wild snails about (ha ha how wild can a snail get ha ha ) but i don't know how to treat them before cooking, any body on here can help, would love to get me own back on the b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ds

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:52 pm

our teacher took us out for tapas, one evening (well most evenings, but thats another story), after class and we were all tucking into tapas until i noticed a hairy rubbery piece of "meat"...it was pigs ear!!!

Apparently we´d also had pigs brains, and other "delicacies" on these evenings out. We were just so busy chatting we hadnt really noticed!! :oops: and no...i didnt continue eating the pigs ear!

Swerve, if ever you go up towards Orgiva, there is a really good menu del dia restaurant, far end, just as you´re about to exit Orgiva Town...and they put snails in the paella!! Delicious!!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm

I had a sea food pasta with whole octopusssssses in it. The tiny ones were ok BUT :shock:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:55 pm

ron wrote:I had a sea food pasta with whole octopusssssses in it. The tiny ones were ok BUT :shock:
take it you've never had "calamaritos fritos" then ? a plate full of baby squids deep fried in light batter :)

hmmm, had rabbit stew on a menu del dia, fried breadcrumbs.. very strange as a tapas or something, think its called "migas" ? i cant think of anything nasty that i've eaten ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:37 am

i have actually seen loads of locals picking snails off the fences etc...
i have also seen them plucking the flowers from the orange trees...the only thing i can think of that they would do with those,is use them to scent the house..any one know???

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:56 am

spanish_lad wrote: take it you've never had "calamaritos fritos" then ? a plate full of baby squids deep fried in light batter :)
Yes, I first had that in a chinese in Hounslow.
I've had the rings a couple of times as well. Once, in Mijas, I think they used the inner tubes from the buses that were belching out diesel fumes next door to the cafe.
The baby octopussssses were ok . It was great,great,great granddad I wasn't keen on
Last edited by ron on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:59 am

princess peach wrote: i have also seen them plucking the flowers from the orange trees...the only thing i can think of that they would do with those,is use them to scent the house..any one know???
Possibly to make orange blossom water. This can be used for flavouring cooking

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:00 am

I have eaten chickens feet, ducks tongues and deep fried spiders in china. i turned my nose up at snake and monkey brains.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

have you eaten anything

Postby gavilan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 am

swerve: there is a snail festival in Riogordo in early May ...

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:47 am

Ken2, my Mum used to put them in a bucket with a garden sieve on top (so they couldn't escape but could breathe) and leave them for a week so that they are not full of earth when you cook them. Some say put porridge oats for them to eat but, they don't seem to eat it.

Mum used to cook them in a gorgeous spicy tomato sauce!