Living in the sun

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Living in the sun

Postby pmb » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 pm

No one has mentioned this but a new series has started this week on BBC1 at 1100cet.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:51 pm

To be honest, i dont think its even worth mentioning, do you? :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:56 pm

See one you've seen 'em all! Only the names, locations and the degree of stupidity changes.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:09 pm

Spot on, Beachy! Its the same with the "a place in spain" "a place in france" "a place in italy" and at the moment..."a place in slovakia" .....it is all set up for the program!

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:11 am

what nasty replies, why be so horrible, many people enjoy watching living in the sun, yes it can be funny, but it also interesting especially when you meet or see these businesses open.
Peggottys fish and chip shop has opened their second shop and will be on living in the sun next week, thats not set up, it is also one of a few sucess storys on the coast.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:36 am

I find this sort of program to be entertaining, but not exactly truthful, or accurate...
Nice to see different regions and to listen to some of the rather naive comments by the 'cast'.
For anyone planning to move to Spain, probably worth watching, but don't be taken in by the house prices quoted, or the 'This is Paradise' line...

However I suspect that everyone who says that they are 'rubbish' programs, are really 'glued' to the box, whenever they are broadcast.... :wink:

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

Living in the sun

Postby ICCSL » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:06 pm

They have done two or three programmes on a woman with a second hand shop/food/cafe in Baza. The programme was enough to put anyone off living in Baza but more importantly when she set up these businesses, operating from the same premises there was never any mention of the fact that you cannot have food/furniture/clothes/general second hand goods/estate agency and a cafe all in the same room. Therefore she operated the business illegally for a very long time and then had to move the cafe/food element of it to other premises.

She then got a British electrician to do her wiring and Endessa wouldn't pass it. None of this is ever mentioned on these shows.

Another aspect is the date that the programme was made which is usually in very small letters in the credits, if it is there at all. As soon as one of these programmes is aired we get a flurry of enquiries from people wanting to buy houses at the prices they were 5+ years ago
Tina

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:40 pm

I agree with Scarlet on this one. Sitting in the uk with it's current climate, it makes good watching to see sunshine and perhaps sites or places i've visited in spain. Easy hassle free viewing.
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 pm

The first 2 shows were both in Axarquia too. Some good shots of Competa and Torrox.

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Blimey thats two people today that have agreed with me, are you feeling ok.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:17 pm

I watch them if I am in, not seen any new ones yet. They all have the same format though. Don't tell me they are doing peggotys again! must be the only success story they can find. Most of the ones they show are non-starters. Saw one advertised for sea sports....hello? what do they do for the other 6 months of the year. Still, I agree, they are compulsive viewing, if only to grouse about (on here :lol: )

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Its peggotys second shop their showing, I havent seen that one.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Missed the beginning and the end of todays episode, so wanting to find out tried 'Living in the Sun'on Google. The show is made by Richochet.co.uk but I only got up one page really not telling much.

That Kristian Digby needs a good slap, pity he wasn't kung-fued!

I have great fun shouting at the T.V. think I'll look for a professional heckling job.

One thing that surprised me is that on the website it gives the names of businesses et that are featured in the shows. Wonder who paid for that bit of advertising?
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Where is it ? It will save me driving all the way to Bena Vista.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Everyone speaks highly of Peggotys but can't bring myself around to travelling all that way for fish and chips. maybe send OH for a takeaway :wink:

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:35 pm

The new peggottys is in nueva andalucia, past mercadona up top of the road, I think, I havent been there

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 pm

JAKE M wrote:I agree with Scarlet on this one. Sitting in the uk with it's current climate, it makes good watching to see sunshine and perhaps sites or places i've visited in spain. Easy hassle free viewing.

I agree if you´re sitting in the UK then yes, it probably makes very good watching....if only to catch a glimpse of the sun!!! :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:29 pm

By chance I just happened to see the one the other day set in 'my' pueblo plus they were following another couple in Murcia. I agree with Beachy's comments relating to the 'degree of stupidity'. OK it is nice to see the pretty pictures of sunny Spain, but it's hardly giving out any useful advice to anyone thinking of coming here to live. Not once during the show did the presenter ask the couple going to live in Murcia with 5 teenagers in tow, what they were considering doing for an income. They also seemed to be shocked and horrified that 150k was not going to be enough to buy a house big enough for them all. I suppose it's an antidote for all the Tonight-type programmes showing houses being demolished and residents being tied up and robbed :wink:

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:16 pm

On a very rainy day, at the end of a very rainy week in June, about 7 years ago, a builder working in my house mentioned "Place in the Sun".
I took a look, and decided to buy a holiday home in Spain. As one does.
I'm now living and working here, very happily.
I don't watch the programme any more. Its served its purpose for me. :D

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:05 pm

scarlet wrote:The new peggottys is in nueva andalucia, past mercadona up top of the road, I think, I havent been there
Tell er Scarlet, Barkis is willin!!
Ah! the full english!!