Healthcare U.K.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
bunty
Resident

Healthcare U.K.

Postby bunty » Sat May 31, 2008 9:03 am

Will be going on holiday to Britain with my OH this summer.We both have our European health cards but......my question is .. where do we actually go to see a doctor if an illness occurs? Do we just go to any G.P. or to the A and E department of a hospital?
I am always nervous about going abroad with OH as he has several medical conditions though he will be carrying with him two months supply of all the medicines he needs.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 31, 2008 9:48 am

You can do whatever seems appropriate.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Sat May 31, 2008 10:57 am

Yes, just go to the nearest place - some towns have 'walk in centres' so that anyone can go to see a GP out of normal hours. The one in York has now been moved to next to A & E and it's not working as well as when it was totally separate.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat May 31, 2008 11:49 am

I’ve often wondered about this question myself, especially when at such a lot of local medical centres, even when you’re registered there, if you don’t have an appointment, it’s almost impossible to get past the dragon on reception. :shock: :twisted:

gretch

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat May 31, 2008 12:23 pm

Slightly different scenario as we were all UK resident at the time but when we had my late father in law staying with us for a short while we were able to register him as a temporary resident and our doctors were very happy to see him.

If you are staying in the same area for a while it may be worth asking at your nearest GP's if they can register you on the same basis. If not they should be able to tell you what to do if you need medical help and at least you can then put it out of your mind until (if) the need arises.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Quote Bunty 'Will be going on holiday to Britain with my OH this summer.We both have our European health cards but......my question is .. where do we actually go to see a doctor if an illness occurs? Do we just go to any G.P. or to the A and E department of a hospital?'

Bunty, if you need help or advice you can phone NHS Direct and initially speak to a nurse. They will pass you onto a Doctor if necessary who will advise whether to go and see them at the drop in centre (and approximately how long the queue is) My daughter has used this system three times out of GP clinic hours and speaks highly of the care and attention she received
You can see a local Doctor, and if ours are anything to go by they are very approachable.
We are all asked NOT to go to overstretched hospital A & E departments, unless it IS an accident or emergency.
I can sympathise with you. Besides various drugs, my OH has to carry on him an emergency spray. That usually provokes questions at security :)

Enjoy your holiday. England is looking particularly beautiful at the moment and the birdsong a true delight.
Sandramay

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:08 pm

I was under the impression (from various TV programmes) that if you are resident in Spain you are covered only for emergency treatment in the UK on the EHIC card but have to pay for part of treatment???

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:24 am

Two summers ago we were in the UK and my son was ill and needed medical attention, I phoned the NHS direct helpline and spoke to a nurse who said as I wasn't a resident if I saw a GP I would have to pay as a private patient but if I went straight to A&E then it would all be free.
We went for the paying GP option which was about 50 pounds which I'm glad we did as he then phoned the hospital to say we were on our way and my son was operated on within 1.5 hrs, maybe if we had gone via A&E it would have taken longer (who knows).
When I got the the hospital they were quite surprised as they said not many non residents come via the GP they all go straight to A&E.
When my son was discharged the hospital gave me the forms so that we could claim the GP visit from the insurance company (didn't take out insurance), the hospital also sent all the hospital notes to my address in Spain for my sons GP here.