cockroaches

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:46 pm

BENIDORM wrote: I did mention on an earlier posting about the cockroach problem, that it is not a good idea to keep old cardboard boxes in your home, particularly ex supermarket food boxes
Very true. We spent a few years sailing around cockroach infested places and the cardinal rule was NEVER to take a cardboard box on board - if necessary decant your Shreddies on the pontoon!

The reason is that they like to lay their eggs on the boxes because the little offspring like eating the glue that holds the boxes together.

It gives them a good start in life and some rally nasty problems for the Shreddies eaters!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:49 pm

OMG I am out of this thread :shock:

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:49 pm

I'll bet you keep looking Katy - I know that the minute I see any thread that might relate to snakes that I just should NOT look. But I do! My daughter would tell me it's because I have a secret fascination for them. I don't think so!!!!

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:57 pm

2nd hand books are good for transporting the eggs too, especially hard-backs.
We used to spray any we got when we were sailing

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 am

When I lived in Bermuda, we were proud to have some of the biggest cockroaches in the world. Bermuda would enter theirs into the "biggest cockroach competition" in the USA. Whenever we opened up our BBQ to use it, there would invariably be a few inside and when we ate out on our top floor balcony enjoying the idyllic view, at least one cockroach would fly onto our plates of food. Happy days!

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:33 am

You won't be going to Bermuda then Katy?????

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 am

Teralin, you could have made a fortune with a fast food stall at the Olympic Games :lol:

katy you must have come across a few in Florida? We used to have pest control out every month and they sprayed all through the house, then we would find the odd dead one. Haven't seen any here, thank goodness, I also have a major problem with ants. Beginning to think our house was built on the biggest ants nest on CDS.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:43 am

apparently they love coffee - one of the reasons that most of the coffee bars have their machines raised (if you notice).
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:19 am

Florida no problem, but were rarely there in summer. Some of the biggest I ever saw (dead) were in a museum in Belize. Worse experience in the Congo. Woke up one morning and I was lying on a huge dead one. I had been lying on it so long the imprint was on my back, slept under net too.

When we first brought our cat from the UK she used to bring them in. If the window was open she would jump through the bars with the legs dangling from her mouth. When I screamed she would drop them and they would scutter off. I am so scared of them I could not even get close to kill one :o

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:06 pm

You can stamp on them and they will start to re-assemble themselves, I´ve seen it happen.........

Bit worried about my stash of cardboard boxes kept in case we have to return any faulty items, but all laying flat so no tasty glue.........

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:04 pm

You could take up Chinese cooking.

Sid