Spain versus Australia.....could it happen here?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Spain versus Australia.....could it happen here?

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 pm

And we think Spain is bad.......this is apparently not a spoof, its horrific to think people could do this....has anyone else heard about it?

This guy went out on a Saturday night a few weeks ago to a party.
He was having a good time and had a couple of beers and some girl seemed to like him & invited him to go to another party.
He quickly agreed & decided to go along with her.
She took him to a party in some apartment and they continued to drink & even got involved with some drug (unknown).
The next thing he knew, he woke up completely naked in a bathtub filled with ice. He was still feeling the effects of the drugs, but looked around to see he was alone.
He looked down at his chest, which had CALL 000 or YOU'LL DIE' written on it with lipstick.
He saw a phone was on a stand next to the tub so he Picked it up & dialled.
He explained to the EMS operator what the situation was & that he didn't know where he was, what he took, or why he was really calling.
She advised him to get out of the tub. He did, and he appeared normal, so she told him to check his back.
He did, he found two 9 inch slits on his lower back.
She told him to get back into the tub immediately, and they sent a rescue team over.
Apparently, after being examined, he found out more of what had happened.
His kidneys were stolen. They were worth $10,000 each on the black market.
He is currently in the hospital on a life support, awaiting a spare kidney.

This ring is well organized and well funded, has very skilled personnel & is currently operating in most major cities around the world and recently very active in Sydney .

The crime begins when a business traveller goes to a lounge for a drink at the end of the work day.
A person in the bar walks up as they sit alone and offers to buy them a drink.
The last thing the traveller remembers until they wake up in a hotel room bathtub, their body submerged to their neck in ice, is sipping that drink.
There is a note taped to the wall instructing them not to move and to call 000.
A phone is on the small table next to the bathtub for them to call.
The business traveller calls 000 who have been quite familiar with this crime.
The business traveller is instructed by the 000 operator to very slowly and carefully reach behind them and feel there is a tube protruding from the back.
The business traveller finds the tube and answers 'YES'.
The 000 operator tells them to remain still, having already sent paramedics to help.

The Operator knows that both of the traveller's kidneys had been harvested.

julian
Andalucia Guru

aussies

Postby julian » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:39 pm

Jool , could happen anywhere, but personally I´ve got other things to worry about e.g. whether to go the beach or stay by the pool tomorrow, life´s too short to be worrying about things that will never happen!

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 pm

sounds mad alright but nothing surprises me in this world.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:21 am

that urban myth has been around for years
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:23 am

I did a google search and it seems there may be some truth in it.........sad thing is that none of us are surprised......

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:28 am

PaulaJean
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PaulaJean » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:52 am

Jools, I think you will find that this story is one of the many internet myths. See the following links:

http://www.joewein.net/hoax/hoax-kidney-theft.htm

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/k/kidneys.htm

PJ

Don

Postby Don » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:30 am

One of the most noteworthy phrases in those articles is "Whenever you receive an email that urges you to immediately forward that mail to everyone you know, there is a very good chance the email is a hoax."

And the number of people who then send to "all" their address book and by default also send all their addresses in the message header is one reason there is so much spam clogging up the internet these days.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:52 am

Jool, this story is a myth, it has been going around for at least 15 years. If you think about it how could you have a major op like that and have no life support and survive by being put in iced water.

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:54 pm

How can anyone think there's even a hint of truth in that rubbish?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:05 pm

.Griff. wrote:How can anyone think there's even a hint of truth in that rubbish?

Having just read todays online version of the Daily Mail I have come to the conclusion that people do believe everything they read, therefore that Jool did is no big deal and does not deserve ridicule.

Look how many people believe what is written in the Bible and other religious fairy stories :roll:

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:32 pm

Bongtrees wrote:
.Griff. wrote:How can anyone think there's even a hint of truth in that rubbish?

Having just read todays online version of the Daily Mail I have come to the conclusion that people do believe everything they read, therefore that Jool did is no big deal and does not deserve ridicule.

Look how many people believe what is written in the Bible and other religious fairy stories :roll:
Perhaps people just don't have any common sense these days.. Although I think you're clutching at straws comparing religion and kidney theft.

Ridicule or not (none was intended btw) it worries me that some people are so naive. No wonder criminals make a fortune from scamming people if there's that many gullible people out there.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:54 pm

A lot of the urban myths are very credible, and given the way of the world I can understand why Jool might be led to believe there was an element of truth in the story she reported.

I cannot believe that there is not a time when any one of us have been taken in by a story like that, and it must be nice when you are able to categorically say that it is a pile of donkey dung :roll:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:57 pm

.Griff. wrote:I think you're clutching at straws comparing religion and kidney theft.
The comparison was not betwen religion and theft, but a valid one comparing unthinking belief in ridiculous stories.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:13 pm

peteroldracer wrote:
.Griff. wrote:I think you're clutching at straws comparing religion and kidney theft.
The comparison was not betwen religion and theft, but a valid one comparing unthinking belief in ridiculous stories.
While you missed my point by a mile ironically you also managed to demonstrate it quite nicely at the end there.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:58 pm

I have had major surgery and parts removed and not had life support afterwards. To be on ice for a certain number of hours with your bodily functions shut down to large extent by cooler temp and drugs makes it medically plausible......its why they put people in medically induced comas and use ice cooling for transplants and major heart surgery. Hence if this was done by a doctor it did seem possible.............its the reconnecting of the organs that is difficult, but I´m glad its apparently not true.

PaulaJean
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PaulaJean » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Not only will people believe anything, they are willing to be outraged by anything. I recently received this email which had been circulated widely.
Subject: RED ARROWS

I despair at the people running this country. What planet are they on?

Do your bit. God preserve us from politicians... Please forward this to as many people as possible!!! (British Citizens)

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed 'too British'.
Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be 'offensive' to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team 'too militaristically British.' Red Arrows pilots were said to be 'outraged', as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before.

Being axed from a British-based event for being 'too British' is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails.

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on link:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows201 ... Arrows2012

Forward this on to everyone you can. What the hell is this country coming to?
-end-
:x
...... but wait a minute a quick google search to check out if this can be true, finds this on the Official 2012 Olympics site.
"No truth in Red Arrows rumour - 2nd October 2007, 17:02
London 2012 has responded to reports that the Red Arrows have been banned from the Opening Ceremony of the Games, describing the rumours as 'utter nonsense'.

The London 2012 Organising Committee will decide what to include in all celebrations and there will be a showcase of the best the UK has to offer. But with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like.

The Red Arrows have in fact been used before in connection to London and the Games. They did a spectacular fly over of Trafalgar Square in London to celebrate winning the bid in July 2005, and also flew over the Mall when the Athens Torch Relay was in London in 2004.

The DCMS and the Red Arrows themselves also released statements refuting the claims about the ban."

However in the meantime over 465,749 people have signed the petition to date :!: :roll:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 pm

There are so many of these, what are they designed to do, just clog up the internet or what? I regularly receive one about a girl's dying wish, she only has 6 months to live, by rights she should be dead by now as I first received it about 4 years ago.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Jool wrote: ......its why they put people in medically induced comas and use ice cooling for transplants and major heart surgery.

Fortunately, they also use mechanical bypass machines to keep the body functioning :)

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:55 pm

well thanks for agreeing with me
jayne countys most famous song,google it