Maxi Dia

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Maxi Dia

Postby princess peach » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:06 pm

After always shopping at Mercadona,I have ventured into Maxi Dia to buy the odd bit of fresh bread,as its the nearest supermarket from where i live.
Im considering trying a weekly shop there and wondered what everyones views of the shop are.
They regularly have offers on pepsi and other items and it does seem a little cheaper than Mercadona..what are your views about the place?
Have you purchased any bad meat or frozen items from Maxi Dia?

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi peachie. is that the Dia % shop? if so, where i usd to live there used to be a good one, for certain items. However, over here, the one in our local town is awful. mangy fruit, stale bread, past its best looking meat.
It seems as though they may very town to town.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Dia

Postby Julie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:45 pm

The dia maxi is just the slightly larger dia%, the one near to us is excellent, if you get the form to fill in for a loyalty card, it has good benfeits, if you look on the shelves there are 2 prices for a lot of things, one for customers whouse there loyalty cards and one for those who don't, also when you pay, you get a roll of papers with offers on, for your next visit, the meat at our local dia is excellent and the staff appear to work hard, don't usually have to wait for them to finish chatting before they serve you, :) that in itself is a bonus Lol.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:16 pm

I think its the larger dia that i have near me :D
I have had a trial chicken breast from the dia and they were fine.I didnt want to venture in there for a seeks shop(if i can find that much to buy in there)if i didnt get very good feedback.Its great they have offers on,and i will try the loyalty card Julie,Thanks.

daismarg
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daismarg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:51 pm

I shop at our Maxi Dia for certain things and can recommend the donuts as they are like PROPER ones and not cakey! I also buy the bread rolls which I thing is very good and value for money at 60c for 5. I have bought quite a few packs of the chicken fillets and they have been much cheaper than Mercadona or Lidl and taste just as good!

I would recommend anyone who hasn't been to the new Maxi Dia (old PLUS) to give it a try as you will find somethings much cheaper than Mercadona/Carrefour or Lidl and they stock quite a few UK products as well!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:00 pm

It's the horrendous QUEUES that get me down at Dia.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Dia

Postby Julie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Maybe they think its worth queing for :)

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Not been into Dia much - shop often at Lidl as my kids like the yogurts, make your own pizza, fruit and chocolate there. Find I shop in all the stores for different things - meat from Mercadona not Carrefour, fruit from Lidl not Mercadona, dog and cat food Carrefour or Supersol and the occasional trip to Iceland in Mijas Costa where I can buy everything I like :D I find Carrefour really expensive and I end up with loads of junk food (biscuits, crisps, fancy drinks) but nothing for dinner after blowing 150 euros (or more :shock: )

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Dia is, of course, the "cheap and nasty" division of Carrefour.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

dia

Postby Julie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:28 am

I don't know carrefour, but I do know what is said about a fool and his money :)

I couldn't tell you myself what anything costs in any of the supermarkets, i just buy what I like the taste of,or what someone has said they have enjoyed, and I pop in and out of the different ones, just for something to do at times, sad :oops:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:36 am

Well I can tell you that Maxi Dia don't put much worth having in their bins, and their customers are a 'tight lot', no one will let you take the trolley back to keep the one Euro...
Give me Lidl everyday...great pickings in their bins, and their customers generous, putting plenty of loose change in my bowl and giving me tins of dog food for my dog Rasta ..
:oops:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:35 am

Well I can tell you that Maxi Dia don't put much worth having in their bins, and their customers are a 'tight lot', no one will let you take the trolley back to keep the one Euro...
Beni! :lol:

Carrefour is absolute cr@p,I never buy any of their meat or fish,just the stench alone makes me feel spuey :shock: rotten stuff.

There is never any ques in my Maxi Dia,i usually go for 10am most of the spaniards are at work then.Bread rolls are georgous and chicken was good,thats as far as i have got..Oh and ice pops are 45 cents per bag in Maxi and mankydonnas are 90 odd cents..big difference when you are buying three bags at once :shock:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:16 pm

Scot, next time I'm down your way I'll take you shopping and show you how it's done! 150 euros and nothing for dinner?

I use Mercadona and it's very good value and quality. Maxi Dia is OK but rather low quality but also lower prices. They are 10 kms away so I cost in fuel. Carrefour is 30kms away so it's only once a month, if that. It's by far the cheapest and the best quality but NOT for fresh fish or meat. The Mercadona is much better for those. In fact the Mercadona fish counter is totally, wonderfully brilliant.

We also have a Lidl and an Eroski at 50kms but I've never been to either.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Does everyones mankydonna have loads of flies zooming round the shop at the moment..the melons are swarming,the fish counter is positively buzzing ..they are everywhere :shock:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:23 pm

Lavanda - happens regularly the 150 plus bill and my friends feel the same. My kids go for the big brands in there (Schweppes, Cadburys, Kelloggs, etc) and I don't buy any booze! I do sometimes get caught up in the 3 X 2 offers which pushes the costs up and if I need toiletries and washing powder etc, bill goes through the roof! My most economical shop here is Lidl and in UK was M&S - believe it or not! I think because I only bought essentials and wasn't the enormous choice of biccies, cakes, crisps etc the Sainsburys had to offer. Carrefour here is my Sainsburys in terms of how much I spend.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:21 pm

Over my way Lidl & Aldi & Mercadona are best for meat, though as Mercadona is only 10 minutes away I most often shop there. I find it very good value. Lidl are best for fruit and veg by a long shot, but being in the next town along, i tend not to go so often. Mercadona & Eroski fruit and veg only last a day or 2 and are very tasteless here.

I find shops differ from town to town. Where I used to live Plus and Alcampo and Dani were my favourites.

Carrefour my way is very good, but i too get carried away by the 3 for 2 offers! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:41 am

The new Maxi Dia in Antequera is fantastic (the old Plus). Can´t fault it.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:24 pm

They are obviously expanding big time as there's now one in Puente Genil too, opposite Carrefour/Lidl. Not been in yet though.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:56 pm

IMO, Alcampo is the best supermarket, by far, for veggies & meat.
Eroski isn't bad (nice bread) and it's only 500 meters away. (But you can't walk there without WALKING along the A7 :( )
Maxi DIA% is in the same block as Eroski, but it's deteriorated since it was a PLUS store.
Mercadona veggies are pre-packed which is a no-no, both for seeing quality and choosing quantity. They have wonderful diet lemon sorbet lollies at only 24 calories each - worth a trip for that alone, as is their fish counter.
Carrefour is fair to middling, but certainly not cheap.
For an "M&S" experience, with prices to match, Supercor/Hipercor, part of El Corte Ingles is very good.