Who's Who ?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Who's Who ?

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Well..... we all chat along to each other, and yet in most cases we haven't a clue about the other persons work background etc., ok, we've had a thread about how old everyone is and where we are from...but our backgrounds...I don't mean a full resume`, or a C.V, just basically what sort of work that you have been involved in.....Butcher, Baker...Pole dancer... :shock: ,

I'll start it off...Royal Navy, Brewery Rep., Hotelier, Shop Keeper....well that's my main work, plus loads of minor diversions... :oops:

Regards,
Gordon..

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Who's Who ?

Postby Julie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:58 pm

Farmer, carraige master, now retired :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Not necessarily in this order -
banker (with a 'b' !!); graphic designer; holistic therapist (reflexology, aromatherapy, that kind of thing !); landlady; mum; housewife....... :wink:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Here goes - civil servant (yawn); pub manager; social work with teenage girls; education social work, financial services (10 years of it in the banking sector - again with a 'b') and now run own business - mobile pet shop (no live pets!). Also just been asked to go and do some consultancy work in the Education Social Work sector which I'll do if I haven't moved out there first!!
I wonder, if you'd asked a group of people even 30 years ago, if you'd have had more 'single career' answers?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm

Mirandmac you have a point, people used to take jobs and stick with them for life. I first worked for a company of a family friend and then for a company of my family (Yorkshire). decided it lacked challenge and wanted to put something back (being a bit naive!). Worked for the UN on social projects and did a lot of travelling around. Settled back in UK and did stuff auditing projects for the European Social Fund and then worked for the Prince of Wales Trust helping people to set up businesses. All a waste of time really, Charity workers and do-gooders are the same as City bankers.

I would like to know if you were starting again from your twenties what would you do different? I think now I would have liked to be an investigative journalist :roll:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:48 am

Beni,
A Hairdresser,then a few shop jobs after i had my son,then worked for boots the chemists developing and printing photographs(very interesting job) :lol:then back to hairdressing. :D

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Started out in banking but that just did not suit me, so there followed millhand , translator french to English, quality control technician, QC manager, forewoman in aluminium rodplant , then got married and retired, now time is divided between Canada and Spain and way too much time spent on the computer :P :P

Fred

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:07 pm

worked for an airline.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:51 pm

O.K. Here goes..... Nursery nurse, Nannie, WRAC weapons testing, then,after marrying, Barmaid, shop girl, home help, working in Boots all at various times and then Hotellier and finally hardware shop proprietor followed by 'retirement' to Spain when I became a builders labourer for my OH !!!! Quite a varied life but full of interest. One day I might write a book :D Oh, I also have 3 children so I guess I should have added Mum to that list.
Life is 'ard den you die!

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Would it be easier just to post our cv's
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:54 pm

Well started as junior secretary, got promoted to head secretary within 3 months as head secretary left (something I said!!!), then became nanny and travelled the world a bit. Worked for letting agency, then administrator for computor software company, then pr and graphic design company. At this point started dog training classes teaching basic obedience (been doing this ever since in my spare time) Good bored working for other people so started my owned business offering secretarial and book-keeping services. Met my OH had babies, started helping out husband in his photographic studio business learnt photoshop so did all the retouching and restorations. Now moved to Spain so still doing dog training lessons, but about to open a wine bar which will offer afternoon teas in afternoon so I am now cooking all the cakes, scones, etc. LIFE IS NEVER BORING :lol: Who knows what I will do next.

Chris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:02 pm

Sorry, but yet another Banker (yes, with a "B" also), then, staying with the Bank, Occupational Health & Safety Adviser, then Total Facilities Manager (again within the Bank), ...nowadays i´m a retired housewife & soon-to-be-mum! :D
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:25 pm

Started as a trainee computer programmer, then programmer, programmer team leader, senior programmer, systems programmer, senior systems programmer all for the same company.
So not all of variety, all for ICI in their computer department.
Best thing was being offered, and accepting, a very attractive early retirement package at the age of 48. :D :D :D
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:55 pm

Librarian, curator, teacher, art dealer, antiques dealer, writer (occasional), now retired :roll:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:30 am

started as a tadpole,worked my way up to frog
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:00 am

Blimey this is a big ask:

OK started life by leaving school and hacking my parents off because I chose to be a hairdresser instead of their chosen path which was officer in the RAF (thinking back now I was and idiot), however, I then went on to be a warranty clerk/telephonist for British Leyland ( and no I was not the cause of their demise). Got married, had babies etc then studied like a demon, whilst kids were little and had part time jobs in-between. Divorced. Eventually became a social worker/outward bounds instructor in Lancashire, came back to Co Durham and continued to be a social worker there, studied some more and became a qualified solicitor with another degree in social sciences and psychology. Lost my job as a social worker for reasons I will not go into on a forum. Became a retail manager for a large News agency chain in the NE, had a very serious,nasty accident at work and joined the legions of the unemployed. Divorced reason, and then went to work as a consultant with a local IT company and taught IT Technologies in the local colleges. Met my husband to be, moved to Spain and I am still working in IT/Web design/and still teaching like I did in the colleges in the UK. Outward bounds is out of the question due to the spinal injury I sustained at work, not even allowed on a horse :roll:

Does not sound a lot when you put it all down but trust me it was.....lol

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Started in a frozen food shop at 14, worked in a couple of rest homes, nanny, au pair in France, civil servant, private carer, shop manager, home carer, civil servant and now own a holiday company for disabled people!!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:35 pm

it's amazing the things I forgot in my last post reading everyone else's has given my memory a kick start !
So, to the previous list you can add:
worked in a greengrocer's shop; worked as a live-in nanny for a pakistani family (for all of 3 days - too much culture shock at age 18 !); expat in Philippines for 4 years (during which time did an in-flight activity book for BA; ran children's and adults craft classes), and more recently worked in finance dept of a large hearing aid firm. Nowadays I tend to spread my time between genealogy; DIY-ers mate :wink: (unpaid) PA to hubby (another :wink: ); researching for a book I am writing with some friends; and of course, following the goings-on on A.com :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:01 pm

My career has been pretty dull in comparison to all the above! Have been a civil engineer all my working life (employed by various contractors) until I became a self-employed geotechnical consultant / building surveyor.

I funded my cider-drinking university degree course by working as a groom in a polo yard (perk of the job - hunky Argentinian polo-players :wink: ), worked on reception in a golf club while getting my own business off the ground (perk of the job - free golf :D ) and owned a pub for 3 years (perk of the job - none :cry: ).

Jobs I would have liked to have tried: pilot, bookseller, forensics.
Jobs I wouldn't touch with a bargepole: teaching, dentistry, accountancy.

I do marvel at the fascinating lives some people have led
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... Pirie.html

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Try this link:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... Pirie.html

Other one seems to of been moved.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.