mosquitos

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

mosquitos

Postby mhic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:01 am

Earlier this year someone recommended a reciepe for a mossie deterent using all manner of natural oils etc. I did save it but it was lost when the computer crashed a while ago and search dont seem to be working. Can someone re-post it please.
Mhic.

Jennifer
Resident

Re: mosquitos

Postby Jennifer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:20 am

Hi mhic,
I think crazyred is your contact for this.
... other insects I wipe him down with some of my mozzie repellant which contains Neem, Lemongrass, Citronella, Peppermint, Lavender & Eucalyptus oils. I also put some of these oils into his shampoo when I bath him. You could also put some Apple Cider Vinegar in his drinking water or in his ...by crazyred
on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Forum: Animals and Pets
Topic: Leishmaniasis
Replies: 29
Views: 954

I did a search for "oils" on the A.com site

J

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks Jennifer, but that's not the post I'm thinking of the one I'm interested in was earlier than Sept and in a different forum I think. I'll keep it in mind though.

Mhic.

Kamila
Resident

Postby Kamila » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi mhic,
I have saved this mozzie repellent and I think it is from this forum. It was posted around April this year. Here it is:
Three quarters fill a 250ml pump spray dispenser with water and then add the following essential oils (proper essential oils, not fragrance oils-can get them in most herboristerias):

6-8 drops Neem Oil
4-6 drops Citronella Oil
4-6 drops Lemongrass Oil
4-6 drops Tea Tree Oil
4-6 drops Lavender Oil
You could also substitute a quarter of the water for aloe vera juice which is also an insect repellent and very good for the skin

Regards
Kamila

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:24 pm

That's the one.
Thanks Kamila.

Mhic.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi,
The full post from crazyred in April 2008
""
Well due to popular demand, here is the recipe for my mozzie repellant:

Three quarters fill a 250ml pump spray dispenser with water and then add the following essential oils (proper essential oils, not fragrance oils-can get them in most herboristerias):

6-8 drops Neem Oil
4-6 drops Citronella Oil
4-6 drops Lemongrass Oil
4-6 drops Tea Tree Oil
4-6 drops Lavender Oil

You could also substitute a quarter of the water for aloe vera juice which is also an insect repellant and very good for the skin.

Put the lid on & give a good shake before spraying yourself all over. Make sure you close your eyes before doing your face or spray your hands & wipe on your face. The concentration of these oils don't usually irritate (my son has sensitive skin and is prone to eczema and it doesn't affect him) but, I would advise you to do a little patch test on the inside of your wrist to check that there is no reaction.

I also use this on my pets to deter mozzies, fleas & ticks although, they won't let me near them with the spray so, I spray it on a piece of kitchen paper and then wipe them all over with it.

It also makes a nice air freshener as it's quite a citrussy fresh smell.

If anyone would like to try this but, can't get hold of the oils then let me know as I'm going to make up some batches (have people at work asking for it too) to sell.

crazyred
Andalucia.com Amigo
""

PS: what's the easest way to just post a link to a former post ?

J

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks again Jennifer.

Mhic.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Hi there, after various tweaking of repellant recipes I have found that the best all round repellant is with the addition of 2-3 drops Eucalyptus & 2-3 drops Peppermint Oils and remove the Tea Tree. This also works well to soothe bites after they've happened.

We've still got hundreds in our flat so I bought one of those bug buster rackets from the Chinese shop and I go around before bedtime killing as many mozzies as I can, it's great fun but, the dog hates it and barks everytime I get it out :lol: :lol:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks Crazyred, almost looking forward to trying it.

Mhic.