I want to go Home to UK!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: I want to go Home to UK!

Postby Paula » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Well I expect you will be all excited at the prospect of being reunited :D
Not being homeowners really gives you the freedom to make the decision which is great!

You will no doubt find Herts and Essex more expensive than Suffolk because of close proximity to London. Some parts of Essex are not so nice, but lots of it is beautiful.
I could rent you our house, swimsuits, buckets and spades, would be very much in order at the moment :wink:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Well you get all the basic services for the same maintenance fee here, on call warden 24 hour access to doctor, minibus to shops, its only non essential or individual add ons like personal home nurse/carer in your apartment, hairdressing, beauty etc that cost more. I know the warden assisted places charge a monthly service/maintenance in the UK, even the council run ones so it does not seem that bad to me.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:05 am

PP I was reminded of a couple of things late last night and earlier this morning so I thought I would share them with you and anyone else who wishes to read this.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain"

How could I possibly forget that !

This is nice and kind of uplifting, and I send this to you as a friend :D

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how grey the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger..

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:07 am

Thats so georgous Trog.
Thankyou so much,i like the dancing in the rain bit.xxx

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:29 pm

We have decided to return also after 5 years of being here. On hindsight I haven't been happy here for over a year, I put it to the back of my mind thinking that it would be impossible to return and disrupt the childrens education etc until I posted here. I had some lovely pms from people that had done exactly the same thing and their children had settled in nicely. As soon as I heard from other people it made me realise it could be done, I spoke with the children and they are over the moon at the thought of returning. They see their Spanish friends with their extended family all around them and I think they felt they were missing out. Husband has returned pretty much full time to try and get some money together and my eldest (13) has been back there living with my parents as we felt it was important for her to get back into the education system ASAP. She did her mock GCSE Spanish exam last week and got a A*, so that will be one out of the way and done with and has settled in extremely well considering most of her education has been in Spain.

As soon as I made my decision I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. I still have down days, but I am excited about the future, it has given me something to look forward to and lots of planning to do. The house is for sale and if you advertise in the right areas you will find that there are still plenty of people looking, it may take a while longer, but it will happen I am sure. There are still many dispondant people desperate to get away from the Uk.

Regardless of whether we sell or not, we are going to rent in the Uk for the forseeable future.

Good luck with your decisions, you sound exactly like I did, I think sometimes you can reach a point of no return, and don't look at it like you have failed, think of the opportunities you have given your son and the lifestyle you have experienced. The ones that say you are mad to return are the ones that have always dreamt about it but never done anything about it.

Scot, for easy commute to London, it is worth looking at the outskirts of Cambridge (a few villages have railway stations with direct trains), Norwich, some areas of Suffolk are easy to London (Newmarket for example) If you want any details about the areas above, pm me as I know it quite well.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Andy1 - will PM asap as need to rush out. Coming over 1 week in Feb to look around. Catch you later and thanks.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:43 pm

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:14 pm

"The ones that say you are mad to return are the ones that have always dreamt about it but never done anything about it."

Not necessarily.

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Ok, perhaps I overgeneralised, but in my experience all the people that are asking why I want to return and that I must be mad fall into that category.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:37 pm

and how do you know their inner feelings?

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Oh god, as usual, someone can't post a comment about something without someone picking holes in it. I don't know there inner feelings, I am not a psychiatrist, and I don't particulary care if they are coming out with comments like "'Why on earth do you want to come back, I have just been to Spain and my friends can't believe I have a bit of a tan in January". This is what I have experienced. For whatever reason people decide that living in a foreign country isn't for them long term no one should judge them for it.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Julian means no harm......he's just trying to put an end to the mass exodus as he'll be on his own shortly if this thread has any truth in it :mrgreen:

DA Image
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 pm

People say daft things, like "you must be mad to return".
At the end of the day you have tried it, you didn't like it or it didn't work out, and you have the choice to go back. Good for you. Hope it works out for you!

I keep thinking about that saying that was so often heard "last one to leave switch the lights out" on what was thought to be the mass exodus from UK to Spain :!:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Perfectly put paula......... Theres no shame in moving anywhere you want to go :?

If you move 100 yards up the road because you don't like the place you're in someone will have something to say about it.

DA

PS That "last one out put the lights off" quip is out of fashion at the moment around these parts 8)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:48 pm

No one is judging, and no one should judge anyone else for doing what they think is the right thing for them and their family. Good luck to you and all the best for your future. :D

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi PP, sorry to hear you're feeling down. I have been feeling the same although I did fleetingly think about going back to the UK, I remembered all the reasons that I left and can't contemplate it. Many of us are in the same situation. I am the only one working as hubby works in construction and of course, there's no work except for S. Americans who work for next to nothing. He's had the odd private job come in but, things being as they are people want him to work for silly money. Since last November I am losing about 500 Euros per month on the exchange rate (as I also work in Gib), and as my mortgage anniversary is in October, am paying about 400 Euros over the odds on that. Well, I say paying, actually not. We are currently in arrears and trying to keep the bank happy enough not to repossess. Most of this due to a stream of tenants who didn't pay their rent on another apartment that we own. I can't even sell anything to pay off debts as nobody is seriously looking at the low end of the market at the moment. I've had lots of nosey time wasters but, none who are actually looking to buy.

When I think that if we went back to the UK without any cash, we'd probably end up in a B&B as we wouldn't be entitled to housing (as we've been out of the country too long), probably wouldn't be entitled to any kind of financial help until we'd sorted ourselves out, despite paying our dues in the UK since we were teenagers and taking next to nothing back out of the system. Even if we managed to get some housing it would probably be on the 15th floor of some dingy council tower block and I would have to watch my sports and outdoors loving son slowly turn into a sullen depressed child looking out of the window at the rain!! Many of the stabbings on the news over the past months have been in places that I've lived and know well and it gives me shivers seeing the crime scenes on the news. I would fear for my boys' safety there especially as they start growing into teenagers. Of course, nowhere is without it's problems but I feel that we have a better quality of life here (even in the present climate) than we ever had in the UK. You just have to look at all of the options objectively and make a decision based on all of the facts. I agree with fantasy that a little trip back might help you to clarify things in your mind. At the end of the day we can only do what is best for ourselves and our families and this is different in every case.

Despite being born and brought up in London and living most of my life there and in Essex, I never really felt it was home and can't bear to go back there. We weren't without our problems there either so, I would rather ride out the storm with a smile on my face looking forward to another sunny summer :D :D

I hope you start to feel better soon, keep positive.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:57 am

99 per cent THESE DAYS IT BOILS DOWN TO CASH,if you are here you dont get none,if you are there you do,clearing out the scumbags

not you my princess of course :D
jayne countys most famous song,google it

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 am

not you my princess of course
8)
why thankyou kind sir! :wink:

Crazy thanks for the post.I have a lot of sympathy for you,it seems a lot of people on here are in a worse situation than i am.I feel you know its the right thing to do and stay in Spain,I know its the right thing for me to stay too,i just panicked at the beginning of the week.It helps that my husband is very supportive and says"no way will he let his family down,he will work 7 days if he has to".Which is a lovely thing to say,and luckily the work is there for him to do that,he just has to ask for it.So thats something.
You seem positive despite your situation.Im glad i posted my thread as the support i have had from you lovely lot has been amazing,more than i couldve ever wished for.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Frog - of course cash is a big issue for most of us - lack of it that is! We are now running two households which is a crazy situation. We have tried to work here and not been paid. We may be unlucky but it's NEVER happened before and had several problems here in Spain. I'm also scared to commit to longer here as don't know how much longer my health is going to hold out so I am trying to plan ahead and can pay my way for the foreseeable future. The system is there in the UK for emergencies - we have worked all our lives and if I ever needed to ask for any financial help in the UK, I would have no hesitation in asking and would not be embarrassed in the slightest. My OH is working and we, as a family, are not looking for any financial help from anyone. However, I do not know of anyone who has made the move to Spain and ended up gaining financially - do you?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:19 pm

David Beckham? :mrgreen: