Mouse attack!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
detourer
Resident

Mouse attack!

Postby detourer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Just before I went off to Morocco a few weeks ago I noticed some evidence of Mice/Rat activity under the bonnet of my Nissan Navara....Nibbled lining and silencer padding.........Living in the "campo" and with the vehicle parked outside most of the time not to be unexpected I think......In fact asking around it seems to be a common problem, more so in some vehicles. Our Seat does not get eaten! And the Merc/Unimog/Camper shows no sign when it is left here.

When I left I put pellets in the engine compartment and under the seats.....not a good move as prevention would have been better than the final solution......

Got back a few days ago and opened the door.....PHEW!!! Hit by the smell of dead things. Turned the key and quite a few lights came on [or didn't].

Car is now in Nissan dealers.........bill so far is 640 euro. Wires eaten through in engine compartment and behind dash with heater,fan, aircon, CD not working. Filter in air-box had been completely eaten and replaced with bedding and nuts. Big hole in water/wash bottle etc etc.......plus a dead one or two, smelling and yet to be found.

I know how to kill them, but is there something they do not like that I can spray around engine and on cables, like WD40 or whatever.......
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mouse attack!

Postby Jool » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Get a cat and let it live outside.....

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Mmmmmm...........do you think it will stand guard by the truck 24/7..... :lol:

From another forum it is suggested that "Bounce Tissue" works......Seems mice hate them and Motorhome/Caravan owners leave them around inside the vehicle when it is in store.

next problem is where to find them :?

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:02 pm

Iceland Fuengirola.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 am

The bounce sheets, stop smelling quite quickly, so probably not very good, but it will give them bedding fr the nest :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:56 am

Surround the truck with back to back traps.. :D

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:40 am

a cat would be more than happy to guard the truck if it knew there were mice in it..it really is your best bet

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am

And the smell of a cat keeps the mice away.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 am

dont even think of asking where to get a cat ? ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm

dont even think of asking where to get a cat ?
:lol: didnt even think of you!duh!
dont you have a spare one in amongst your harem of pussys?? :lol:

jo-ann
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jo-ann » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:57 pm

We have got the same problem with rats. We have tried spraying with an american product called Rat Away which does help a bit, but the blighter's still get in there and they like both cars, the Kangoo and the Rav4. Locals have suggested spraying diesel around where the car is standing as they say rats don't like the smell. It certainly is a big problem, don't really want a cat as we have 2 dogs who are not fond of cats, but it seems that getting a kitten is going to be the answer and just hope the dogs will get used to it.