Spain protests against Princess Anne

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Spain protests against Princess Anne

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:09 am

A member of the British Royal Family visits a British overseas territory and the government of Rodríguez the Cobbler protests:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 0317.shtml

I wonder how the Moroccans feel when a Spanish government minister visits Cueta or Melilla.

The British government should tell him, in that case, to go and find some other sucker to invite him to the forthcoming G20 meeting as he is unable to attend in his own right:

http://www.surinenglish.com/20090220/ne ... 01119.html

All that Rodríguez has to 'boast' about is that he has managed to drag the country down to being one of the PIGS of Europe and in the trough is just about where he belongs:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/30-second- ... e_id=53611

Let's hope the recent election result in the Galicia region marks the turning of the tide.
Let's go Brandon!

frog
Resident

Re: Spain protests against Princess Anne

Postby frog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:05 am

voted in by cowards thats all i shall say
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:32 am

Well said, Beach. That's why I posted the results of the elections in the North. The tide is, hopefully, turning. As we live here we should all be aware of what's going on, I think, not only in our regions but also in Spain as a whole.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:29 am

Beachcomber wrote:A member of the British Royal Family visits a British overseas territory and the government of Rodríguez the Cobbler protests:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 0317.shtml

I wonder how the Moroccans feel when a Spanish government minister visits Cueta or Melilla.
The annoying thing for the Spanish is that Ceuta and Melilla want independence from Spain, and Gib wants nothing to do with Spain. I think Gib voted over 98% last time to keep their ties with GB, rather than become part of Spain. So the Cobbler can complain, but that's about all he can do. The Commonwealth will probably break up in years to come, (although a couple that left, rejoined later) but at the moment there are about 53 countries that are keen to keep their ties with GB, whereas AFAIK, none of Spain's former overseas territories have ever wanted anything more to do with Spain. :(
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:35 am

Well that is because the british can organise the proverbial in a brewery whereas Spain takes years to find the brewery on the public records....... :lol:

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 am

A member of the British Royal Family visits a British overseas territory and the government of Rodríguez the Cobbler protests:
Should we infer that were the other lot (PP) in power they would be welcoming Princess Anne? I was under the impression that they are even more irrational about Gibraltar.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:09 pm

I read about this last night.
So is this Hospital an illegal build? (had to look up "isthmus" in the dictionary)

Every day's a schoolday :D

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm

masterob wrote:Should we infer that were the other lot (PP) in power they would be welcoming Princess Anne? I was under the impression that they are even more irrational about Gibraltar.
I wasn't suggesting that they are not but, on this occasion, they aren't the ones complaining.
Let's go Brandon!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:16 pm

According to the Daily Telegraph
Jose Ignacio Landaluce, a deputy with the conservative opposition Popular Party, who sits on the Spanish parliament's foreign affairs commission, said: "The visit of a member of the British Royal Family to Gibraltar shows their total support for the sovereignty of this British colony.

"This is something to which we are totally against. It is an affront to Spain."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... anger.html

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Well, whichever party they are from they seem to be on their own. Every Spaniard I have spoken to either didn't know about the visit or couldn't care less.

Gibraltar is a filthy, disgusting, overcrowded hovel which would be more at home being part of Spain anyway.
Let's go Brandon!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:50 pm

I will have to rethink my opinion of Princess Anne. She has always been one of the hardest working Royals and supports many good causes. However, she must have given some up if she has to spend 3 days in Gibraltar. 3 Hours shopping in Morrisons, M&S, a carton of cheap fags and terrible coffee. She must be bored silly.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:47 am

Gibraltar is a filthy, disgusting, overcrowded hovel which would be more at home being part of Spain anyway
each to their own,everytime i go to gib i love it more seeing the rock for the first time as you drive down,finding things like a marine had wrote 'plymouth that way 1000 miles' carved into a rock

i think people that have easy access to gib dont understand what a fantastic place it actually is,so much history

spain is full of hovels and gib does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence
jayne countys most famous song,google it

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:43 am

I agree with Frog...it is a dump but there are lots of interesting historical places to see, unlike many of the Spanish dumps. Walk around the place and have a look at the buildings, some of the old rejas and symbols. Many open up like the rhiads in Morrocco. Read the gravestone inscriptions in the cemetary, many killed in Trafalgar, others who died of Cholera in the garrison. Take afternoon tea in the Rock Hotel and have a look at the Guest book. The new Marina has some great eating places, or have a cheap delicious prawn sandwich in Morrisons. Visit the Chapel and see all the banners from old regiments, some torn and bloodied.

I don't think Gibraltar wants to belong to either Spain or the UK. They want to be independant, which won't happen. Their first language I would say is Spanish if you listen to them speaking to each other.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Before I retired my work took me to Gibraltar quite often for a stay of two or three days each time. I grew to quite like the place for all the reasons Katy mentions. Before Casements Square and the Marina were developed finding somewhere to eat in the evenings other than in the hotel was a problem.

According to Wikipedia:-

Gibraltarians often converse in Llanito (pronounced [jɑˈnito] or [ʒɑˈnito] It is an Andalusian Spanish based vernacular and unique to Gibraltar. It consists of an eclectic mix of Andalusian Spanish and British English as well as languages such as Maltese, Portuguese, Italian of the Genoese variety and Haketia (Ladino). Andalusian Spanish is the main constituent of Llanito, but is also heavily influenced by British English. However, it borrows words and expressions of many other languages, with over 500 words of Genoese and Hebrew origin. Among more educated Gibraltarians, it also typically involves code-switching to English.

Gibraltarians also call themselves Llanitos.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:39 pm

masterob wrote: Gibraltarians often converse in Llanito (pronounced [jɑˈnito] or [ʒɑˈnito]
Otherwise known as Giberish
masterob wrote: Gibraltarians also call themselves Llanitos.
Or Giblets
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: