For those living in SW England

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

For those living in SW England

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:30 am

Can any forum members tell me what the work and living situation is there at the moment please? Are there any jobs for over 50´s? I need and want to work and am closing my business here due to lack of income and too many defaulters.................

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: For those living in SW England

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Jool, Where in the SW do you mean? Cornish fishing villages; Dartmoor or Exmoor hamlets; market towns like Newton Abbot or Barnstaple; coastal towns like Newquay, Torquay or Lyme Regis; cities any size from Exeter, Plymouth and Truro to Bristol?

The situation in the SW at the moment (family lives there) is even more depressed than normal. Tourism may be 'reasonable' this year as people take holidays at home. However, they are doing traditional caravan and camping or self-catering holidays. Retail is depressed. There's high unemployment. Bristol has recently opened up Cabot's Circus Shopping Mall. This is in addition to Cribb's Causeway. Lots of outlets are empty. What sort of work are you looking for?

Living in the SW means the minimum wage unless you are skilled and in a decent job. Housing is not cheap and the water rates are the highest in the U.K. Overheads are substantial. Other than that the SW is a wonderful, wonderful place. :D

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi Jool: More depressing news from here in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds. Prestty much the same as reported by Lavanda. Friends in the tourist trade say there are still plenty of English tourists who cannot afford to go abroad, but they have very little to spend. Many boarded up shops and 'Sale' signs in shop windows have become a permanent feature. There are some jobs around but usually those offering the minimum wage only. Certainly the 'Jobs Vacant' in the local paper now consists of barely a page (used to be 3 or 4!) Many local papers are in fact closing down or cutting staff because of lack of advertising revenue, a sure sign of major problems.
Sorry this isn't what you want to hear. :cry: X
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for the replies.....

Really anywhere from Bournemouth along and down.......I own a house there that is rented out and my plan would be to move into smaller rented accomm myself and work there, keeping the house in Spain to see if things improve...........

In terms of work, I will do anything apart from

- anything that involves animal slaughter,
- undertaking - although this may be the safest business there is at the moment
- work that requires heavy lifting or continuous standing as I have disc disease.

Good level education (masters degree), spanish speaking to a reasonable level, some office skills although not up to speed with latest computer gizmos but very willing to learn, and work experience includes sales, marketing, adult teaching, among others, good rapport making skills, other people skills.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Just an idea ... approach Colleges and Adult Learning Centres NOW with your CV highlighting your academic qualifications, your languages, your experience and your skills and offer classes in Spanish, Adult Learning, Literacy, etc. New classes start in September and, whether through a state run educational institution or a private language school, you may get some work and a 'foot in the door'. Also you could approach the Probation Service or any other place that needs Adult Educators. 50 is fine. No worries and lots of luck!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Civil Service or Local Authority administration :idea:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Yes, definitely go for public sector, they don't seem to be downsizing at all in London or SE, infact still many adverts for jobs with local authorities etc. Are you/Can you get registered disabled with your disc disability? Even more likely to get a job in public sector if you are registered disabled (I am being serious) And they pay good salaries, which will no doubt start causing a storm soon in private sector.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks, have been looking at civil service Katy but not thought of your suggestions Lavanda, kind of ruled myself out as lost confidence with everything that has happened, have found some gov.uk job sites in south west......thank you both for taking time to respond.

Paula - your message came in as I was posting, I don´t know about getting registered disabled, could try for it I suppose but while I am here in Spain it is nowhere near as painful (despite some ruptures along the way) and one of the reasons I am here......................I know what you mean, I´d identified local govt as not down sizing........for now anyway! I´d hoped to avoid painkillers all the time etc as I need them in UK and not here......

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Jool, I'll kinda miss you. Don't stop posting even from the UK.

On another track, here in Extremadura, as we are a 'depressed' area a woman starting a business gets a €10,000 EU grant - no fuss, no bother. (A man gets €2000.) If your health is so much better here have you looked at other areas of Spain to relocate to and start a new business in? Just a thought as I get the feeling you rather like it here ...

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks Lavanda - my health is one of the main reasons I moved here as in the UK I was sick more than well (but not claiming benefit as I hate that idea)

I´m open to any ideas for staying in Spain but there are no grants like that around here and no businesses there is a demand for that would generate an income I could live on - unless anyone else has any ideas?

Extremadura is very flat isn´t it? It may well be a stop gap for me as I have more dogs too young for their passport yet.........and I am open to all sensible ideas. I would not say I am fluent in spanish but I can get by and be understood in all situations and am above intermediate level at Cervantes.....need more confidence and practice, being surrounded by spanish would probably make me fluent.....

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Well, Extremadura has a huge flat plain in the middle but it has whopping mountains as well. It wouldn't suit everyone but it just might be worth your while exploring different areas of Spain for a bit before you definitely head back to the UK. I know from my sister, who has a place in Murcia and friends in Almeria, that things are bad your way. On another track, there was a very long, in-depth article recently about how property and the economic situation in Portugal has remained stable and that they have not suffered the same problems as Spain. For health reasons, how's your Portuguese? :?

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:35 pm

All the local papers are online now, it may be worth checking their job sections. Example - http://jobs.thisisexeter.co.uk/

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Jool, if you were to stay in Spain couldn't you teach English in a Spanish school? It sounds as though your qualifications are more than sufficient. Just a thought - perhaps in Extremadura?
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Davanne21
Tourist

Postby Davanne21 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:37 pm

Jools sorry to hear about your misfortune, but think the teaching of English to Spanish a great idea, hope you work something out..

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Well that's a great idea, Chrissie!

The British Council have a scheme for English people to hold conversation classes in schools in areas of Spain where English conversation skills are poor in Spanish students. Our capital, Cáceres, runs such a scheme, as do other areas in Spain. There's more info on-line:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/new/

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:30 pm

It's always worth asking around locally - I was offered a job at the local Spanish Primary School (teaching English) because I met the Headteacher (and his wife!) at a boda and we seemed to get on well! Nothing like the personal approach! I really get a VERY strong feeling that you'd rather try to find a way to stay in Spain. I do hope it works out. X

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Mijas Town Hall runs a scheme whereby local British go into schools to provide conversation...it's voluntary! As to teaching English, there is more to it than just being your native language :roll: Even if someone is qualified the pay is rubbish, the hours casual...think like 15 hours a week split over 7 sessions (or more). The British Council will not employ unqualified Tutors. Lets get real here folks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi,
Katy has a good point. Teaching children English can be difficult especially in "after school" classes when its the parents that want them to learn.
You have the prep work during the day ,then the evening sessions ,with getting home at 22:30 at night all for 9e an hour. :(
The above info is from a friend of mine , with all the qualifications needed ,and years of teaching experience.
She has since gone back to England :(

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 pm

I agree. I have been reading this thread, wondering if some people really understand what is involved. The number of people I have known or read about, that have gone to Spain, armed with a TEFL qualification (you might be able to give private lessons without it, but you won't get work in a language school without it) and think that's it's a licence to make easy money. It's hard work, long hours, and poorly paid, and that's when you can get it.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:59 pm

I agree about the hard and long hours - and the poor pay too. I've experienced all of that, in spite of having all the qualifications possible! Of course it all depends on how much Jool needs/wants to earn and how much she needs/wants to stay in Spain. I certainly think it would be worthwhile making enquiries Jool.