Mosquitos this year

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Mosquitos this year

Postby Jool » Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 am

I have never been bitten so much in my life, even OH is covered in bites. It seems no matter what we do, even with the repellent on all the time that normally works we are still getting bitten. I have never seen so many in our garden even in daytime........

Has anyone sprayed their own garden with an insecticide against mozzies that works or do you have any other ideas - we HAVE to do something, cannot go outside any time of day without being a feast and some days its so bad I am itching all over......something natural that kills instantly would be best but I´ll use anything not dangerous to cats dogs or other wildlife right now..... :shock:

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Mosquitos this year

Postby Anntonio » Tue May 05, 2009 11:10 am

Sure you will get lots of info back, but when we came over my OH was bitten all summer, and I was OK, she felt guilty and so did I. The only things that got me was the horse flys, clegs? which got me back in the UK. What repelent are you using? As part of my job as a Ranger back in the UK we got issued all types of stuff, but I do remember reading in walking/mountaneering mags that Avon skin so soft was one of the best although it wasn't sold at the time as a repelent I notice that now they say bug guard as well!Which has prob put the price up.Why some people get bitten more than others is a mystery, maybe to be with too many showers,or bad blood! Will be interesting to read replys, as I,ve no idea why I don't get bitten. Back in the UK the midges gave me hell, sat outside the pub for a bit then quick reteat inside!

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Tue May 05, 2009 4:38 pm

We have just got back from a fortnight out in Spain (Costa Tropical) and we were gobsmacked at the lack of flies and mozzies!! My Mrs always used to get eaten alive by them but this time managed just the one bite which is amazing for her. With that said we have had a load of fruit trees taken out to make room for a balcony, so we are hoping that they were the attraction to the insects.

Other locals also commented on the lack of them saying it was the cold winter that had reduced their numbers...lets see what summer brings!

Do you take any medication? My Mrs took some hayfever and allergy tablets that contain "loratadine" that someone recommended to her. They seem to work a treat compared to the other stuff that has been mentioned. Although that isn't going to rid you of your problem it may ease the pain should you get a bite or ten!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 pm

No mosquitoes or flies here, not yet anyway but there's plenty of time. I've heard that mosquitoes don't like garlic. There may be some truth in that because we eat loads of garlic and rarely get bitten.
Let's go Brandon!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue May 05, 2009 5:26 pm

El Cercardo wrote:We have just got back from a fortnight out in Spain (Costa Tropical) and we were gobsmacked at the lack of flies and mozzies!!
And us, and although I think I have only ever been bitten once or twice by mossies, they had me a few times! :( And the wife. I got one the first night in Málaga, and again in Ronda. Visited friends in Almuñecar, and I was safe there.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Jool, my youngest son and I also get eaten by mosquitos, even in WINTER!!!!

As you're in Almeria, I can't send you my natural mozzie repellant but here is the recipe:

In a 250ml spray bottle half fill with distilled water, add 2 teaspoons of alcohol (rubbing or vodka, have a little drink while you do it :) ), then add the following essential oils; 14 drops Neem, 8 drops Lavender, 4 drops Eucalyptus, 9 drops Peppermint, 6 drops Citronella & 6 drops of Lemongrass. Top the bottle up with some more distilled water & add some aloe vera juice if you have some. Give it a good shake before you use it and spray yourself, clothes and even bedsheets. Make sure you close your eyes before spraying your face, or spray it on your hands & wipe it on.

This mix was recently tested in Malaysia by my friend and she was only bitten twice, when she forgot to spray before going out for dinner.

Can also be used on animals. My dog hates it so I usually spray some kitchen paper & wipe it all over him. I've also used it as a training aid as whenever I shake the bottle he immediately stops what he's doing & runs to his bed :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps :D

PS Don't use if you're pregnant because of some of the oils used.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:05 pm

You also need to check around the outside area for pools of standing water where they breed. If you can, empty any out, and if you can't and don't have children or animals, bleach or a petrochemical (parrafin. petrol or diesel) added to the water will kill the little blighters!
I can spell but I can't type

karen4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby karen4 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:12 am

Use Avon's Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray in the blue bottle, it's called Soft and Fresh. It stops mozzies coming anywhere near you! The Queen apparently uses it when abroad...don't know about that but it definitely works!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 am

Hi, thanks for all the replies, tried Avon Skin so soft, did not work, I´m just too sweet smelling to them I think!

There is no standing water anywhere, have already checked that........

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed May 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Try brewers yeast tablets, apparently they give out an odour through your skin that mozzies hate, and after trying them last year they did seem to work.
My bites usually come up the size of egg yokes, not very attractive, I thought I would build up immunity with being bitten so much but apparently it's just the opposite and the reaction gets worse :roll:
The doctor suggested Piriton taken a week before hols, during them and a week after but I wasn't to keen.
Also since Brewers Yeast gives you strong nails and shiny hair, if taken all year round, it's a double whammy, not sure about the cold wet nose though :lol:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Wed May 06, 2009 7:42 pm

I used Avon 'skin so soft' and got eaten alive :shock:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed May 06, 2009 7:55 pm

I haven't seen any yet, and just an odd fly. Able to eat outside without keeping one hand free to swat. And not having to use any horrible mozzie repellent. Must be warmer in the evenings where you are Jool.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed May 06, 2009 10:07 pm

In a 250ml spray bottle half fill with distilled water, add 2 teaspoons of alcohol (rubbing or vodka, have a little drink while you do it ), then add the following essential oils; 14 drops Neem, 8 drops Lavender, 4 drops Eucalyptus, 9 drops Peppermint, 6 drops Citronella & 6 drops of Lemongrass. Top the bottle up with some more distilled water & add some aloe vera juice if you have some.
..........I think I´d prefer the odd mosquito bite than make that lot up!!!..apart from having the drink!!

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Just remembered, mossies hate people who eat marmite
I can spell but I can't type

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 pm

can´t blame them!!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 pm

I´m taking vitamin B and I love marmite, and garlic......brewers yeast doesn´t agree with me but this year there are loads of the blighters, even OH, known for being extremely thick skinned and mozzie resistant, is bitten all over...........

Can´t take anti histamine pills as they make my heart beat too fast.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Wed May 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Brewers yeast & marmite both contain a lot of vitamin B which when some people eat them, the mozzies don't like it. It sounds like your blood is as sweet as mine Jool as it doesn't seem to matter how much garlic, Vit B etc.. that I eat, I still get bitten :?

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 pm

julian wrote:In a 250ml spray bottle half fill with distilled water, add 2 teaspoons of alcohol (rubbing or vodka, have a little drink while you do it ), then add the following essential oils; 14 drops Neem, 8 drops Lavender, 4 drops Eucalyptus, 9 drops Peppermint, 6 drops Citronella & 6 drops of Lemongrass. Top the bottle up with some more distilled water & add some aloe vera juice if you have some.
..........I think I´d prefer the odd mosquito bite than make that lot up!!!..apart from having the drink!!
It's really not that hard Julian, and for me, preferable to using products containing DEET on my children & it's also more effective. Once you have all the oils it only takes a few minutes to make a batch up.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 07, 2009 10:50 am

No use spraying the Dior on if using that :lol:

Jool, if they are worse than usual have you looked around nearby? Could be the source is some stagnant pool, leaky sewer or similar.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:10 pm

We have HUGE mosquitos this year, I have never seen anything like them but they seem harmless so far, 2 of my kids have had 1 bite each and thats it, I got eaten alive last year!!!

Is there a certain time of year they start biting? I have loads of empty houses and therefore stagnant pools near my house, someone recommended squirting a bit of washing up liquid in them to stop the mossies from breeding, will this work?