I.D. Cards

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

I.D. Cards

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Rejoice, free Britons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... hnson.html

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: I.D. Cards

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:10 pm

At least the optional ones should be easier to get, but at what cost? Maybe they will be cheaper as they don't need a huge database of information.

They did originally say that they would only be available to residents - maybe that will change when they want to shift the thousands of tons of encapsulation material they they have no doubt already purchased!

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:14 pm

I am rather pleased about this, not because I have anything against ID cards.
Things could have been a little difficult for expats the way it was shaping up, from the little bit of research I had made on the subject a few months ago.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Can you be more specific?

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:53 pm

There is an anti ID site - think it's something Against IDS - sorry, I can't remember the correct name, Sid, but if you google along those lines, you'll find it and the explanation of current proposals for expat Brits.

I had been warned about it from other long term expats, prior to finding the site and seeing what was involved or being discussed at higher levels. Some of you may recall, I am a little over sensitive about rights of long term expats and have experienced situations in the past, where it seems Blighty is trying to pull the plug on some of us. Not that I blame them, but unless I relinquish my UK passport ( I don't intend to ), I still consider myself British and will eventually go home after many years of wanderings :D .

One of the many anti ID arguments was the rights of British born expats. They questioned how it would work in practice - expats returning annually to renew was a possibility ? We do not come under the same umbrella terms as resident UK citizens, apparently, for this project, which is why I am pleased it has been shelved.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 am

They will still be £30 but are optional. Alan Clarke suggested young people may buy them to prove there age when going into pubs. What a waste of a few billion again. Another LABOUR c++k up.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 am

Hi

But I like ID cards; I am asked for one every time I buy with a credit card, or face officialdom. They are more use to me than any possible downside. I think the EU got it wrong when they decreed that foreigners could not be forced to have one - it puts us apart from the Spanish.

Davexf

jo-ann
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jo-ann » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Yes I really miss my spanish one, damn nuisance having to carry passport around. Most times driving licence is sufficient though

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:21 am

careful jo, until now i was rumoured to be the only person that carries my passport every day ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:02 am

go to the town hall and get a fotocopy of your passport compulsada, then leave your passport at home!

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:20 pm

My town hall and police refused to compulsar mine...... I ended up having it done with the Consul.Though I must say at times they have not wanted to accept it in banks ... till I made a fuss!
I just hate the thought of having to carry my passport with me and having it stolen .

Pat & Emer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pat & Emer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:30 pm

If you have a modern Spanish Card driving licence it is acceptable everywhere as ID. It was even recognised ID for the EU election and is certainly now accepted by all hotels.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:19 pm

It is acceptable as a photo ID most cases - it is down to the organistion or company requesting the ID. It is not acceptable for official things such as house purchase of signing on the Foreigners Register.

The only form of official ID for British Citizens is the UK passport.

The old "residencia" card was acceptable (most of the time) within Spain for official purposes as it was a photo ID card issued by the Spanish government only on sight of a British passport.

A Spanish DNI card is an official national ID card and is accepted for travel within the EU and for entry into the UK. For travel outside the EU a Spaniard needs a passport.The residencia card is not accepted by the UK for entry into the UK (or Gibraltar).

Sid (who wants a UK ID card!)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:07 am

julian wrote:go to the town hall and get a fotocopy of your passport compulsada, then leave your passport at home!

good plan, might do that. is it a same day there and then or a "come back in a week" thing ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:51 am

At ours they do it while you wait. They charge €2. The receipt is physically stuck onto the photocopy and then stamped. That way you can't make a copy of it.

I believe you can also get it done at the Notary's office.

On mine I have a copy of my passport, residencia and driving licence on the one sheet.

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:12 am

in Coin town hall they do the frist 3 copies for free, while you wait .