stifling hot!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

stifling hot!

Postby princess peach » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:07 am

Is anyone else absolutley boiling this summer!
we cant breathe in our house,my big dog is panting all night,he cant sleep either.
there is no cool air,only warm and im permanently sweating!
Its never been like it since i have been here(nearly 6 years)Im even sleeping with the fan on and the windows wide open! :shock:
Think we are getting some kind of heatwave over from Africa. :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: stifling hot!

Postby katy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:47 am

38C tipped for today.

http://www.diariosur.es/20090704/malaga ... 90704.html

I think it's hotter than usual, nights have been ok.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:51 am

each summer there are the odd few days/nights like this...the last couple of days are hotter than normal, but it will get better!! :)
I think the heat is coming from the interior rather than from Africa PP

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:06 am

Yes, it's caused by the hot wind, locally called the "Terral", which blows down the Guadalhorce valley from further inland, getting hotter as it picks up heat from the land.

We get a similar wind blowing at night down the valleys from Granada. On June 14th it was 34.5c at 5 in the morning!

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:28 am

PP, our big mastiff used to suffer very badly with this type of heat at night.
I know it sounds daft, but run cold water on a towel, wring it out and lay it over his body, especially over the chest area. I used to leave it on for 10 mins until his panting stopped.
He would quite happily lay still with it over him, think he quite liked it, but it does work.
I use the same trick on myself and it works a treat, learned it from living in Africa without A/C :lol:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:39 am

Hi,
Certainly not daft Anis..............the old style Army water bottle had a "fur" coat that we soaked and it worked a treat.
The following link has some tips..........No 23 is well worth following........and you will look nicer in the swimsuit 8)
http://greenterrafirma.com/keeping-cool ... oning.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:53 am

"it's caused by the hot wind, locally called the "Terral", which blows down the Guadalhorce valley"

would someone in the guadalhorce valley mind closing the door please..Beachcomber maybe ..help!!

lyndajo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lyndajo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:25 am

We have it this hot every July & August but this year we've had temps of 40+ through most of June as well. There was one morning when it was well over 30 at 9 am. and our patio out back does not get the sun til about 1pm. This morning at about 8 it was a mere 25, delicously cool, but temperature rising quite sharply now. It's very difficult going out anywhere and look smart and cool. Just constantly a wet blob.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:35 am

anis wrote: run cold water on a towel, wring it out and lay it over his body, especially over the chest area. I used to leave it on for 10 mins until his panting stopped.
I use the same trick on myself and it works a treat, learned it from living in Africa without A/C :lol:

I go to bed with a wet face flannel to drape over my arm or leg but it tends to dry out in the night, it is so hot. Our house doesn't seem to fall below about 30 degrees at the moment and it feels suffocating and stifling in here. We had a hot May ( I went in the pool in May so it must have been hot :wink:) so I think the build up of heat started early this year.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:59 am

Hi Lyndajo,
Was thinking my thermometers where reading high but guess not as you're just up the road from us.
It was 20c before sun up this morning with a cool breeze so took the dogs bikejoring, back for a light breakfast then out up the hill (3600ft) for a solo bike ride, what a great day, clear views, no traffic and now warming through to 27c. Stopped at my local bar on the way back for a beer and salmorejo tapas, now 36c with a cooling Northerly drift.
Wondered if the viento de tierra (land wind ) works the same way as the Foehn wind..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

If so all you guys and girls living south of the Sierra Nevadas will be a tad warm :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Sod my carbon footprint - I'm switching on the Air-con.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Perhaps it's me but there doesn't seem to be any comfortable weather anymore. In May I was wondering if it was ever going to warm up and suddenly it was baking :o

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:54 pm

anis thats a great tip!
I will try that on him tonight if hes still panting.He had me up most of the night,he kept pawing me,i went out onto the balcony to cool him off with a cold wet sponge.Didnt even think about a wet towel :roll:
Perhaps it's me but there doesn't seem to be any comfortable weather anymore. In May I was wondering if it was ever going to warm up and suddenly it was baking
Nope,it isnt just you!
I thought i had started going thru the change :shock: im glad you lot on here are feeling it too.(men included) 8)

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:17 pm

i´t´s down to being older ..and that affect us as well as you girls!!
the summers are the same..it´s us that are changing, we can´t cope with the heat as we used to !!!!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:11 pm

anis wrote: I know it sounds daft, but run cold water on a towel, wring it out and lay it over his body, especially over the chest area. I used to leave it on for 10 mins until his panting stopped.
He would quite happily lay still with it over him, think he quite liked it, but it does work.
Well, that's you and your OH sorted, but what did you do for the poor mastiff?

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:40 am

you hot and sweaty again peachy,we really need a cold shower
jayne countys most famous song,google it

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:09 am

get air con installed ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 am

air con is ok inside..but now and again we have to go outside!!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:18 pm

We would have a cold shower but the water's off again today. Sunday. Just before mid-day. No notice. No water. Joy. :?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:27 pm

[quote="Lavanda"]We would have a cold shower but the water's off again today. Sunday. Just before mid-day. No notice. No water. Joy. :?[/quote]

Lavi, Oh the joys of living in rural Spain , away from the maddening crowd... :D

When it's really hot I can't help thinking about the stray dogs and cats, it's hard enough for them survive during 'normal' weather..
I used to put bowls of water and 'din din's' outside my house but all my spanish neighbours complained...mind you I could see their point...I think I was feeding all of the village dogs as well... :(

Regards,
Gordon...