travel sickness

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
antonia
Resident

travel sickness

Postby antonia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:23 am

I'm going on a big boat soon and wondered if anybody can recommend any travel sickness pills i can take please.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: travel sickness

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi Antonia,
Ginger............get some pills and take three days in advance of the trip and nibble on ginger biscuits as well.
Enjoy the trip :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:29 pm

Those travel sickness bands can be quite good - if you can't get them, try this as they are based on acupuncture / pressure points :

To find the correct point, place the first 3 fingers of one hand (index, middle & ring) on the inside of the opposite wrist, with the ring finger alongside the crease below your hand (bend your hand slightly inwards & you should be able to see the crease easily)

Just below the index finger, in the centre of the inner arm, is the acupressure point. Place your thumb on the inner side, and your index finger on the outer arm directly 'opposite', and press firmly. It shouldn't hurt, but can be a bit tender, or feel tingly.

This can be done on either arm - if you are pregnant, please check first if it is OK to use acupressure, as some points can be dangerous to pregnant ladies

Hope this is useful, and happy sailing :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks Enrique, i had forgotten about Ginger...nibbled on enough Ginger biscuits throughout my pregnancies!! :lol:

Thanks also Chrissiehope, do i do this as soon as i feel sick??

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi,
Trouble with some of the meds they can make you feel worse than the travel sickness :(

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 pm

If you are going on a cruise, the ship will provide you with excellent sea sickness pills which are far better than any I could find. They don't make you sleepy like some brands. Also, if you become very unwell as some of our passengers were in a hurricane off here last November, they will give you an injection which gets rid of the symptoms very quickly - all free. Don't worry, they will look after you very well.
I used the acupuncture wrist bands from Boots chemist and wasn't ill at all, which is unusual - someone sent them from UK for me. I didn't have to take any pills.
I am normally very travel sick but a good brand is STUGERON - again, I have only seen them in Uk and they make my daughter sleepy.
A good tip is to try and stay on deck and keep your eye on the horizon. The motion sickness is a balance thing to do with the inner ear so try to compensate.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:40 pm

a hypnotherapy session will put a stop to travel sickness for life , which saves taking a lot of pills later !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't suffer but when we were doing a lot of sailing the only pill that could be guaranteed to work was Stugeron.

It is a drug that has been around a long time and is used to treat inner ear infections that can affect your balance (Meniere's disease). Some time ago a sailing doctor had the bright idea of trying it for seasickness - and the rest is history.

I am sure you can get it in a pharmacia if you ask for "Cinnarizine".

From my experience with a variety of "sufferers" drowsiness does happen but it is much less likely than most of the other drugs which are usually just tranquillisers.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 pm

antonia wrote: .....Thanks also Chrissiehope, do i do this as soon as i feel sick??
Yes :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:40 am

I use Sea-Bands for everything, including flying and they work for me. Another good tip someone gave me years ago that works is, if you can, stay on deck but as near the centre of the boat as possible. The closer you get to the edges the more the boat goes up and down. The centre is relatively stable.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks for the replys guys.

Anis...going on a cruise i wish....it's the Ferry out of Spain.
Sid, i will get some of the pills you recommended, as long as they don't drug me up!!
Lavanda, i have no chance of staying in the centre. Am going with 2 kids and a dog, will have my hands full. :lol:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:31 am

There are several homeopathic remedies which are good for sea sickness including, Cocculus, Conium, Euphorbia C, Nux Vomica & Tabacum. Some of these are also used for Meniere's disease and won't cause any drowsiness. Using these in conjunction with the acupressure would be really useful I think and nibble some crystalised Ginger too. I have had success with treating air sickness homeopathically but, I would need to know the exact symptoms you suffer from on a boat (even travel sickness can have very different symptoms for different people) and I could then advise you on which remedy would be most useful for you.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:40 am

Oh, I pity you, Antonia, going on a ferry :( - OK for the people with good sea legs, but not as stable as a cruise ship.

The Stugeron really is good and one of the best things I have found about it is, that you don't need to drug up hours before - 30 mins before your trip is sufficient. I've used them for years.
Once on a ferry in rough Greek waters, I was dishing these tablets out to the other passengers when they started feeling poorly - they all recovered quickly. If you forget to take them before your journey, they can stop the nausea quickly, once you have started to feel unwell.
They don't make me sleepy, just my daughter.
Hope you can find them and hopefully, you'll be too busy to even think about it and the weather may be calm :lol: .

Hypnotherapy is no use to those of us who suffer badly with motion sickness, Julian :D . I'm afraid it's not in the mind, just the way some people's balance mechanism can't adjust properly to abnormal shifts.
Crazyred, anything that is good for Meniere's disease would probably work well for motion sickness, I think.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Antonia,
If you're going from Santander then the mv Pont-Aven is a first class stable ferry and has stuff for the children to do.
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/pont-aven
In fact on my recent trip I had to keep looking out of the porthole to see if we were actually moving . 8)
Did you get a kennel for your dog :?: I've not had much luck getting one this year.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks again guys,

Crazyred, i end up feeling sick the whole time and end up flat out.

Enrique, yes i did manage to get a kennel. From Feb all the large ones had gone and thought i would have to drive back, but 3 weeks ago i phoned them on the off chance and bingo got one. We have looked at all the things the boys can do, they are so excited, makes leaving a little easier, i just need to be able to keep up with them :lol: Thanks for the vote of confidence that it's a smooth crossing, must remember to ask hubby as he did it last year.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:37 am

Enrique wrote: If you're going from Santander then the mv Pont-Aven is a first class stable ferry and has stuff for the children to do. .
That was the ferry that had to turn back in the Bay of Biscay when it hit a big wave
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... CkmeuYCnOA

The Balmoral (about the same size) also had some fun!

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/incid ... ough-seas/

Get some Stugeron Antonia :D

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi El Cid,
Need some more positive vibes on this thread............... :D :D
I've done the crossing since 2002, with up to eight crossings a year in all seasons, and only had one that was "sit in your seat" rough .
So Antonia get your ginger .....and meds ? and enjoy the trip 8)

PS: I don't work for Brittany Ferries.......I just keep them afloat........... :lol:

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Enrique wrote:Need some more positive vibes on this thread...............
I agree :lol: :lol: Thanks El Cid, not even going to look at them :lol: Remembered that hubby went back on the first Ferry of the Season in Feb...horrendous crossing, 6 hour delay out at sea going nowhere because of weather conditions...sick the whole time...that'll teach him not to be prepared :lol: I'm going armed with everything :lol:

Thanks Scot, have sent you a pm back.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:57 pm

antonia wrote: Thanks El Cid, not even going to look at them :lol:
Probably very wise!

Last time I did that crossing it was so flat you could have seen your reflection in the water!

A lot depends on the time of the year. Once you are into October the chances of bad weather in Biscay go up very quickly.

Sid

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:52 pm

El Cid wrote:Last time I did that crossing it was so flat you could have seen your reflection in the water!
Ahh, backtracking now Sid :lol: :lol: