Had enuf

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Had enuf

Postby hillybilly » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:10 am

Apologies for any bad language,spelling mistakes etc but....
HAVE HAD ENUF NOW
My campo house has been broken into AGAIN. The Guardia knocked at my door at 11.30pm (fair play to them...different province n all) having traced me within minutes, from the matricula of my campo land rover to tell me that my campo house has been broken into again. Arrived there at midnight (driving like a bat outa hell and eversoslightly over the limit) to find 2 Guardia 4x4s (1 having got stuck in the mud and having had to call for back up to tow it out...with MY chains) & 4 officers with torches etc...padlocks & chains broken, CCTV cameras broken, verjas forced, front door violently smashed in, house ransacked, but very little actually stolen :wtf:
Spent most of last night/this morning trying to repair damage/make the place secure...ish AGAIN.
I mean, short of turning every property into fort knox and being there 24/7...wtf can u do?????
I truely think that this is it for me...had enuf of this part of Spain now...
Have now drunk a bottle of vodka..which helps...until tomorrow...insurance claim...denuncia...new custom made doors...locksmith...

alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Had enuf

Postby alig99 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:53 am

I'm really sorry to hear you news. Ali

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 am

Oh God Hilly,doesnt this place just do your head in !!!
Im sorry to hear all that has gone on,you sound so peed off. :?
Could you not rent the campo house out to someone,even for cheap rent,just to stop it from being broken into?
What was the point in breaking into it,if there havent took much?Was it just to wreck the place?
:evil:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:01 am

Absolutely awful for you that it should happen again, and you have taken so many measures to make it secure aswell as the expense. You are right, you can't live with that worry Hilly, you are going to have to think about what you want to do, and where you can go to have (reasonable) peace of mind.
Was your dog there, or with you?
Really sorry to hear your bad news :(

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 am

Sorry to read that Hillbilly. A Spanish friend of ours has had a Romanian bloke living rent free at his campo house for years for that reason. May not be suitable in your case but just a thought.
Brian.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:30 am

Our neighbour had expensive tools stolen from his ´shed´ last week, he has a BIG dog roaming loose too and that didn´t scare the theives away.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 am

Hilly, I am not surprised you have had enough.......and not sure what you can do about it either as I am sure you will have investigated security measures. The best thing really is a tenant.........I know you have tried dogs..........a notice that warns people there is nothing of value inside in 16 languages ( :eh: ) nothing really seems workable....................do the GC have any ideas? Is there a neighbour hood watch over there (I know its in the camp but they do seem to have some effect as it encourages all locals keep an eye out for unusual vehicles and occupants make a note of them........)

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks all.
It was a kind of neighbourhood watch effort that alerted the police in the first place...a local factory was broken into (to steal diesel!) and so the Guardia went to check on all the surrounding properties (which is actually quite good of them I suppose as my house is on its own, 1km up a track from said factory). The Guardia have said that they will patrol the track with greater frequency (but given that their vehicles get stuck in the mud I shan't hold my breath on that one!). However, given its isolation that will make no real difference...
No, as usual, dog was with me, guarding the townhouse (asleep under a blanket...)
Renting it out is not an option...it's still not finished :lol:
Fortunately this time I'm insured...but not looking forward to seeing it in the daylight...
It looked as if they were looking for money or jewellery or something as all the drawers, cupboards etc had been opened and yet they didn't nick any of the power tools, genny etc (so far it looks like only hand tools have gone...pickaxe, crowbars, screwdrivers etc...probably to use on the next job) and yet they'd gone to so much effort, violence and mess to break in in the first place :?

CampoCath
Tourist

Postby CampoCath » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:45 am

Hi there

I'm really sorry to hear your news however I know many people who do already live in peoples properties whilst they are unoccupied, one of my friends has a separate building and actually lives there full time and does the small garden in return for rent free accommodation. Positions are usually obtained through word of mouth and are recommended by friends of friends etc. This may be a good solution for you.

Good luck with the clear up.

Cath :roll:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Just a thought.
Are the security measures really necessary?
If I was a burglar, which I'm not, and saw a house with fences, chains, padlocks, burglar alarm, CCTV cameras , vejas etc then I might think there is something worth stealing inside.
I'd wreck everything until I got into the house.
On the other hand, if no high visible security measures I might not bother with the house, but if I did would be easy to get into without causing much expensive damage.
A neighbour of mine didn't bother to shut the windows or lock the door. Never had any trouble.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Great idea, Gerry, perhaps get a "welcome" mat as well, and leave a beer and a sandwich for them! ;-)
It's hard to know what is best really, must be heart breaking to have a couple of toe rags spoiling your life there.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 pm

No, I'm not saying make them welcome. But if they want to get in they will.
Just causes more damage and expense if everything is chained, padlocked etc.
Just a thought.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:48 pm

I do know what you mean Gerry. But then, if your house isn't secure, the police and your insurer are just going to laugh at you aren't they? You can't really win :evil:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:52 pm

My Father's friend was killed by a youth for a 1000 pesetas. A crazed druggie broke into the house and only wanted cards and money. He got in from the golf course. The insurance would not pay out because the gate was left unlocked even though the murderer came in from the back!

Hope you are feeling a little better Hilly :(

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Really sorry to hear about your house being broken into,am not surprised you are totally fed up with it all,it must be heartbreaking after all the effort you have put into renovation etc.We have certainly had more problems with suspicious people roaming around the campo at 4am in the morning here than we had in ten years living in a fairly remote area on the Isle of Wight for ten years!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm so sorry, Hilly - how absolutely rotten and frustrating for you. I always breathe a sigh of relief each time we go to our house and find it O.K............. up till now anyway! It isn't in the campo but I have read that burglaries are up even in the towns. Very worrying.

I do hope you can find a solution but it does seem a catch 22 situation, whatever you do. Big hug!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:52 pm

But isnt this a sign of the times ... Its just as bad everywhere. I know its no consolation but you cant out run it... ?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:04 pm

"Its just as bad everywhere."
Is it? I don't know of anyone around me, or any friends or family, that have suffered a break in. Not gloating, Hilly has my every sympathy, but there are still loads of areas where break in's are quite rare. Thanfully for insurance purposes, both for car and house, our area is one of the lowest in UK. Obviously not all of UK is the same though! :-(
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Lousy news hillybilly. Have you thought of downloading a recording onto CD some sounds of aggressive dogs barking?
Link it to a PIR and it may deter.

Main site:- http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animals/Animals.htm

Aggressive dog:- http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animal ... arking.wav
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:44 pm

You could also include a sign (in various languages) saying "DANGER WILD ANIMALS" and incorporate this into your CD ...

http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animal ... g%2004.wav
Dave