Anyone live near La Cala de Mijas?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lillywhites
Tourist

Anyone live near La Cala de Mijas?

Postby Lillywhites » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Not sure where is best to post this, but we have recently moved to this area and I'm finding it difficult to make friends! After spending a couple of months standing on my own outside the school, I plucked up the courage to approach a couple of people and although they were polite, they haven't exactly been welcoming and have carried on in their groups and made no effort to include me. My daughter has made friends with a girl in her class but again, her mother has her family and friends here and isn't interested when I suggested coffee etc. Is this just an unfriendly area? I have never experienced this before....I wash every day ( :lol: )and think I'm 'normal' although I'm begining to wonder :oops:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Anyone live near La Cala de Mijas?

Postby Julie » Wed May 12, 2010 2:13 pm

It may get better soon, maybe join the local cultural centre,it may help, good luck :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi, What an unfriendly lot. It does take time to make friends, maybe a whole term. Just keep trying.....Look out for someone on their own like you.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu May 13, 2010 7:45 am

maybe they don´t like coffee, try suggesting meeting for a tea, or a glass of wine!!!

Lillywhites
Tourist

Postby Lillywhites » Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. The only other person on their own is a man...I could try approaching him and asking him if he'd like a beer.....my husband wouldn't mind, I'm sure!! Only joking, it took all my courage to speak to the first group...I hate being shy :x

I did enquire about spanish lessons at the casa cultura but they said to enroll in June for the new term in October. Hopefully, there will be 'friendly' people there, but it's a long time away.

Does anyone on here know of any book clubs in the area, or social groups? I find that there are lots of things organized for retired or the more 'mature' resident, but nothing for the middle aged people (I'm giving away my age now :oops: )

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:49 am

Hi there,
I live in Mijas, so not a million miles away, and would be happy to meet up for a coffee sometime. I have been attending the language classes organised by the casa de cultura this year, and would say they are definitely a good way of meeting people! We are all very different and probably wouldn't have normally have met and become friends, but we do enjoy a coffee after class, and we're going for lunch next week to mark the end of the course. I would certainly recommend signing up for next October. The other suggestion is getting involved with a charity. For example PAD animal shelter needs people to come and walk dogs... ? Anyway, if you want to meet up please feel to PM me.
I agree that meeting people at the school gates isn't easy, especially if your children are a bit older. I have found it difficult infiltrating as well at my childrens' school and they have been there since last September!
Good luck and keep trying..

Lynn
x

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 13, 2010 3:04 pm

A very neighbourly gesture.
Good on you
:clap:

Lillywhites
Tourist

Postby Lillywhites » Fri May 14, 2010 8:32 am

Lynn, thank you for your kind reply! I have sent you a pm about meeting up for a coffee...if anyone else is in the area perhaps they could join in too, I'm sure there are other people feeling a bit lonely...or maybe it's just me lol!

I'm looking forward to the Spanish lessons for exactly the reasons you mentioned, roll on October! I have also considered volunteering at the animal shelter but my only concern is that I will want to bring them all home, I will have a serious think about it and maybe just visit them to see how I feel. We already have 2 cats and a dog (all 'rescued') and we have no room for more!

Thanks for your kind wishes x

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri May 14, 2010 8:59 am

if you volunteer for dog rescue,don't forget there is ACE Charity,just 3 mind drive up the Coin Rd from La Cala.
dedicared people.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri May 14, 2010 9:13 am

There is a Lions Club in La cala - they meet twice a month and hold quizzes, fashion shows, dances etc., You might find some people your age there - google Lions, la Cala - they meet at a restaurant in town. It's a good charity so you might be doing others a favour too as well as making new friends.
Best of luck.

clarkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby clarkie » Sat May 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Hiya, i work in La Cala at the internet cafe at the back of Supersol. We are a very friendly bunch and there are some other mums in the cafe in the morning after they have dropped the kids off. Why dont you pop in 1 day and meet us and we will introduce you to some of the great pepole in La Cala. Next time we organise a night out i will let you know and you can join us if you wish. Hope to see you soon. Oh yeah and ask for me Sarah or Sue in the cafe!!!! :wave: :thumbup:
What a life!!!!!

Lillywhites
Tourist

Postby Lillywhites » Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi Sarah, many thanks for your post, I've sent you a pm x

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

I am probably out of your age range, but why not also try the park opposite the post office. Now it is open again there are lots of kids in there.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!