Burn Baby Burn.....

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Burn Baby Burn.....

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 23, 2010 9:06 am

While we are spending much of our time in UK because of family commitments , we are taking the opportunity to visit friends and relatives and re-visit our old 'haunts' and places where we have previously resided.

Yesterday was a really glorious sunny day here in UK, people were actually smiling and looking very happy, and of course the 'short' shorts and skimpy tops were very much in evidence...and that was just the blokes... :lol:

So we headed to Scarborough to visit one of our sons and of course to see my little mate, my dog 'Rasta', he's on his rather long holidays with my son at the moment, due to our excessive traveling he's staying with him most of the time, but he told me he's fine and very happy, but of course he did tell me that he is missing me...'Rasta' that is ..not my son... :lol:

Anyway...where was I ?....
Oh yes....So while we were back at the seaside we decided to take 'Rasta' for a walk, and we set off down to the beach, passing the numerous amusement arcades from which loud music emitted , what an assault on my eardrums...did I really used to enjoy these places when I was younger ..?..or perhaps I've just turned into a grumpy old git...?
The smell of fish and chips wafted in my nostrils as we walked along...why is it that the smell of salt and vinegar makes you want to buy some greasy insipid looking chips ?

And finally we reached the beach area,... it was like a sea of beached whales, blubber everywhere, but what we noticed immediately was the amount of young children running around apparently totally unprotected from the ravages of the sun, which was quite intense at this point..
Hardly any of the children were wearing hats, and we didn't witness many doting parents slapping on sun cream during the 30 plus minutes that we sat there..
Well if grown adults want to risk the ravages of the sun , well that's up to them, but I consider it to be neglect to not protect young children from the suns very damaging rays...
There seemed to be dozens of very young babies sat in push chairs totally unprotected,.. now don't get me wrong , there where plenty of young caring parents there as well, and their offspring looked well protected under canopies and umbrellas and wearing hats...
But surely there is now so much publicity about the damaging effects of the sun, why are so many people disregarding it..?...do they really think that it won't happen to them.....I've seen the effects of skin cancer...not very nice....
Am I being a little harsh with my judgements ?....perhaps I really am turning into a really old miserable git.... :problem:
Regards,
Gordon The Pale One.... :wink:

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Re: Burn Baby Burn.....

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun May 23, 2010 9:51 am

Good point Gordon

As a kid, when no one knew about skin cancer, I got badly sun burnt several times walking out to the remnant of Mullberry Harbour, off Southend. Eventualy the chickens came home, and I developed a small area of the most common skin cancer .. Basal Cell, I think it's called. Luckily it's not malignant, was dug out and stitched up, so all is ok.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 am

yes it´s amazing that with all the information available nowadays the parents can still be so ignorant.
when we were kids there was not so much publicity about the dangers of the sun on the skin, and even then our parents smothered us with suncream before letting us onto the beach (and most of the time the sun wasn´t even out !!!!)

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Don't remember much in the way of suntan creams - but they were there to promote a tan rather than block the sun - when we were small , but back then if you didn't get exposure to the sun you got ricketts!
I can spell but I can't type

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 23, 2010 5:56 pm

I can remember my elder sister sending me to the chemists to fetch a small bottle of olive oil, which she lathered on before sun-bathing in our garden.. :shock:
Then the next day she sent me to fetch a large bottle of calomine lotion...
She looked like a lobster cooked in cream. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 23, 2010 5:57 pm

I never remember as a youngster being covered in suncream,however,my son even aged 14 still gets a generous amount smeared onto him.As a baby he was always smothered from head to toe in factor 50,he looked almost blue on holiday due to so much protection. :lol:
Different generations i suppose.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Benidorm, Don't know how well you know that area Scarborough or it's surroundings but if you know Filey, my family used to own most of the land known as "Primrose valley" which is now a huge static caravan park, and very profitable it is too!!
Ah! the full english!!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun May 23, 2010 6:26 pm

I worked at Corrigans in Primrose Valley one summer! ( Your family name isn't Hammerton is it Retro?) Small world . I also went to Scarborough College 'coz we lived in Filey :crazy:
I don't remember ever having sunscreen as a boy but I do remember the Calamine after care :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Hello Retro and Country Boy....
Yes of course I know Primrose Valley and most of the East Yorkshire Coast, lived and worked in the area for many years..
And thinking back to the 1960's/70's, I did sell at that time suntan lotion and sun hats, but of course there wasn't as much publicity about the problems of over exposure to the sun and its deadly effects...
Sun tan creams and lotions were very overpriced for years, and I suppose many people couldn't afford them,but now they do seem to be realistically priced, so should be a must when spending anytime out in the sun.
I'm also amazed at how many people use sunbeds, so much controversy about young people using them without supervision, and yet I notice more places opening up with them... :o
Regards,
Gordon...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 23, 2010 10:35 pm

The first sunscreen I remember was a blob of Nivea on the shoulder and my nose :lol: Things moved on and it was a brown oily Ambre solaire, probably factor1 :shock: The stuff left marks on all the furniture, bedsheets, towels and clothes, even showering didn't remove it, The pool had a permanent oil slick.

I never burn but suppose that doesn't mean it is not damaging. Been sailing today to the Isle of White, in the sun for about 6 hours and I just look as if I have been tanning for a week but I sure feel burnt. Best thing for after sun is to break open aloe vera from the garden and rub the gel on the skin magic.

I know a few people who have had skin cancer areas removed, one man was left with a hole in his forhead so, take care. I did read that the most at risk are those who only sunbathe a couple of weeks a year, start off white and really bash it. Whereas the ones who take a little sun regurarly are safer.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 am

katy wrote:I did read that the most at risk are those who only sunbathe a couple of weeks a year, start off white and really bash it. Whereas the ones who take a little sun regurarly are safer.
Don't believe everything you read! Hubby has skin cancer,fortunately basal cell type, but is always seems to have new area appearing which need burning out. He used to be a builder so was exposed regularly - well as regularly as a British summer allows- and he is just one of the many thousands in the same boat. So remember ALWAYS SLIP SLAP SLOP!!!
I can spell but I can't type

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Tue May 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Slightly unfortunate but accurate thread title as today it's reported on text about a five month old boy taken to hospital with 20% burns after his mother took him to Brighton beach over the weekend.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Tue May 25, 2010 5:22 pm

katy wrote:I know a few people who have had skin cancer areas removed, one man was left with a hole in his forhead so, take care. I did read that the most at risk are those who only sunbathe a couple of weeks a year, start off white and really bash it. Whereas the ones who take a little sun regurarly are safer.
Someone I worked with on a daily basis died from this a few years ago. Briefly, he had a melanoma removed years previously. Unfortunately they didn't get it all and it metastasised [sp?] into liver cancer. 3 months after the liver cancer was diagnosed, he was dead, aged 56.

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Tue May 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Maybe thy were protected, ie/ plasterd in cream that you couldnt see, lets hope so.

Some of these new creams have high factors and dry into the skin, I doubt these days there are many who wouldnt protect their children but you never know.

The only consolation is, last weekend will probably be the last of the decent weather until next year (if I know the UK weather), so everyone will be protected whatever
Thats it for now

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

it breaks your heart to read about this doesnt it..this will be the article pmb was referring to...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... n_Heatwave
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 25, 2010 9:02 pm

I felt embarrassed about my subject headline, when I read about the baby being so badly burned.

But what I saw on Scarborough beach last weekend was an almost identical scenario to the news report.

Sorry if I've upset anyone with the way I worded my subject.

Regards,
Gordon.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:56 am

Here is Spain we actually saw a child wearing a hat the other day, even hubby commented on it. We have friends who use factor 2 or 4 :crazy: We use factor 25,30, or even higher in the real heat of the summer. Our youngest son had a year in Australia working- he came back looking like he had spent a year in the cold- they ( The Aussies) make folk VERY aware of the skin cancer risks and son being pale skinned wasn´t taking any chances.
I wish the sun creams hee were cheaper- I stocked up on the buy one get one free offer when I was back in the UK.... as I got the ferry/coach (due to the volcano) I could bring back liquids... every cloud as they say :thumbup: :thumbup: