Nationwide petition against charges.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Julie
Andalucia Guru

Nationwide petition against charges.

Postby Julie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 pm

I have taken this off a web site, may be of interest to thoses of us who bank at nationwide

http://petition.co.uk/nationwide-foreign-charges
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

quebin
Resident

Re: Nationwide petition against charges.

Postby quebin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:28 am

It only works for U.K addresses!

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:58 am

I clicked the link scrolled to bottom and completed required fields no address nor country asked for.

Just went back to check if it registered my vote and looked at the signatures there is a lady from Spain on there.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Quite right Vall,thats me,no problems registering,easy peasy!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Not many signed up.....considering the furore about it!

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:18 pm

I am with Nationwide too, have been well before I came to Spain. However, please note that Manchester is not in LANCASHIRE, but in GREATER MANCHESTER so another county must be added to the drop down list GREATER MANCHESTER. Sorry to be petty, but that is how it works these days... I still say no to charges of any kind. Hope it does some good otherwise we are all kn***red!!

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:22 pm

The easy solution is to sign up for the Halifax reward account. Then get a halifax reward clarity card.

This gives cash from foreign bank machines with no currency load and no ATM m/c charge. It does charge interest at 1% a month but avoid this by transferring funds from your bank a/c to the card a/c immediately after the withdrawal. Even if you don't they only charge 1% for a month so a £100 withdrawal only costs £1. Anyway, they also give you £5 if you spend over £300 per month. So basically it's free cash withdrawals. I'm off!

And if they change it i'll transfer my bank a/c to Santander Zero who also make no charges if you transfer £1,000 in and out each month.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Too much hassle to change bank accounts/dds, and I can't be bothered to mess about transferring funds immediately after withdrawals. I'm supposed to be on my hols. !!!!!

I've been with the Nationwide for over 35years, it was the only bank at the time that gave you a checkbook without having to pay your salary into it.

It has had a huge chunk of my money in and out over the years from me and I was pleased to take advantage of the the free withdrawal system.

So what to do after November, I use fairFx sterling card to avoid Ryanair booking fees but next year will either buy currency before I go, Crown looks good, or load a euro card.

Thank goodness I'm unofficially retired, at least I have time to sort this out, could never have happened when working full time! Unfortunately I think that's what a lot of the banks etc. hope. :evil:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:00 pm

beachbabe wrote:The easy solution is to sign up for the Halifax reward account. Then get a halifax reward clarity card.
Trouble is for those of us without a UK address/one where we receive utility bills etc, is that we cannot open another UK account so it's difficult to take our money elsewhere. As much as I'd like to go with another bank as a protest, I am rather stuck with Nationwide.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Yes, but if you live here and are not working and need to transfer money in from the UK, in most cases it will be from a UK pension income.

Since this can be paid direct into a Spanish bank account at the same advantageous rates that Nationwide use (or even better) and there are no charges for this, I cannot see the need for anything apart from a Spanish ATM card.

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:49 pm

I agree, I have been puzzled why anyone living permanently in Spain should want/need a UK credit/debit card to use in Spain. I have UK ones for use only when visiting the UK.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Now 97 signatures on the petition.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Out of 1.4 million customers who use the service that's really going to make a difference :clap: :clap:

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:19 am

="El Cid
Yes, but if you live here and are not working and need to transfer money in from the UK, in most cases it will be from a UK pension income.

Since this can be paid direct into a Spanish bank account at the same advantageous rates that Nationwide use (or even better) and there are no charges for this, I cannot see the need for anything apart from a Spanish ATM card.

Sid
I don't receive a pension and as we have had/will have property in the UK and any work I do is in the UK, we prefer to keep our money there. We don't have any money or income in Spain so everything comes from the UK. That means that the bank charges for our living expenses will be possibly another couple of hundred pounds due to NW's extra charges they are implementing.

Having previously kept money in banks here and in France and been hit with high charges and low interest we've always kept our UK bank going. When we used to have an account with Banco Popular we had to pay for our 2 debit cards, then they charged us to take money out of our account if we used the ATM and also added fees for certain direct debit payments, so we decided to only use a foreign account if absolutely necessary. When all banking was free with NW and they gave a good exchange rate and interest rates, we thought it was far better to leave our money there.
Last edited by Wicksey on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:35 am

I'm not a resident but various costs come to 3 or £4k per year. The new charges would easily equal my annual quota of beac paellas. NOT ON!

I'm off to halifax - or santander!

For those who don't have uk address i guess the cheapest alternative is the FX places like caxton and hifx.