What's your thoughts on this,?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
ken2
Resident

What's your thoughts on this,?

Postby ken2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 pm

.Griff.
Resident

Re: What's your thoughts on this,?

Postby .Griff. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:23 am

Looks like your average cheap thrown together website selling something without actually telling you what you're getting.

No physical details of the item itself, loads of "reviews", "special offers", and all together crap to use a technical term.

Give me 30 minutes and I'll knock up a similar website promising easy to learn Chinese for a "Today only" price of £10.99
Best investment I've ever made. Easy to learn Chinese by Griff has not only increased my confidence it's helped solve the problem in the middle east. B.Obama, Washington DC
:roll: :roll:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:28 am

No idea but it looks as though you can download it for free here:

http://www.imfreeware.com/streetwise-sp ... 18593.html

I haven't tried it, though.

There would also appear to be a proper book called 'Streetwise Spanish'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwise-Span ... 0844272817
Let's go Brandon!

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:28 am

I have no idea but it looks like more of the same, i would suggest bbc.co.uk/languages and follow the spanish link as a good place to start.

good luck

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:35 am

Extremely suspicious pop-up on closing the page! :thumbdown:
Pressed ALT and F4 to get rid of it, I just hate clicking red crosses on pop ups like that!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:11 am

South American Spanish with different pronunciation?
Dave

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:30 am

Hi,
A typical Network Marketing site...............with a "Splash Exit" box on trying to exit. There are some interesting phrases, etc on the pages linked to at the bottom. You can learn loads for free.

Some free ones worth looking at..............

http://radiolingua.com/shows/spanish/co ... k-spanish/

http://www.notesinspanish.com/

Very few people can learn a language quickly - unless you've got "an ear" for it, its hard graft.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 am

Would you like to learn English with say Cockney rhyming slang - to fit into London society ....

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 am

Lots of free stuff on the web without having to pay studyspanish.com is good and about.com/spanish is also good, or ask locally for Spanish/English exchange. Good luck and enjoy !
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:21 am

Don't know if i am confused or not, but this book seems to have two authors,? Peter Christian and Brenda Weizmann,?
one of the comments.
This review is from: Streetwise Spanish (Book Only): Speak and Understand Everyday Spanish (Streetwise!Series) (Paperback)
I don't want to be negative, and I'm sure it must be difficult to write a book about colloquialisms if you expect people to use the phrases in conversation. Can you dig it, hepcats? Are you cool with that?

Well, compare the situation in English. By some chance, the word "cool" is still cool. But if you wrote a book compiling all the latest expressions and sent it 12 years into the future, how rad would those future cats be if they used the phrases?

I have found that although I appreciate the effort and intention that went into this book, I cannot even use the phrases as a joke. In fact I was going to resell the book on Amazon but I feel that would be irresponsible so instead I will have to throw it away. Unless I keep it as some kind of historical guide.

http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/spain-travel- this is where i got the book information from,i have this monthly, some tome good information can be had,

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Just looked at the order page (no intention of ordering!) and they want nearly £20, I have a book with the same title (but different book) and it was £8.95 many years ago. Less than that now with Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwise-Span ... 0844272817
Personally I'd leave well alone, colloquial Spanish should be used with care. Phrases are very often out of date, or only used in certain places etc. Only had a quick look at your link, but it looks like it's from the States, if it is, it could be completely different to "peninsular Spanish" Plenty of better books out there to spend your money on, plus a lot of this stuff is available online for free.

Edit. Whoops, just seen Beachy has already linked to the book. It's certainly a better buy then the other one, 300 pages for £7+
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 am

I would question the fact that you can learn that you can learn any language well enough to say more than the most basic phrases in a month.

I'd love to know what poor old Dave said, having walked into a bar and greeting the barmaid in what he thought was a polite, courteous manner. Unfortunately, he had offended her so much she had to him a severe rebuke leaving him standing there stunned, his face crimson-red in embarrassment :oops: saying: "What's wrong, what have I said?"
It was a real pity, He hadn't read the book yet. :lol:

jrhartley
Tourist

Postby jrhartley » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 am

looks like one of the worst alternatives

have you tried buusu or livemocha to learn a language on line

street spanish would be constantly changing I would imagine, like street English.It could be so out of date that you are telling everyone to get in the groove lol