smoking ban next year in spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: smoking ban next year in spain

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Julian,
I think that pub owners are glad to fill their premises with any type of punter, even if they are only drinking coffee, and anyway there is a good profit on coffee and coffee customers tend to buy food as well....Most of the Brit pubs are aimed at serving food now...better profit than beer..!

Regards,
Gordon.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm

markwilding wrote:
frank wrote:as you frequently tell us, Andalucia is not Spain!
That's not exactly what I say..Andalucia is in Spain but it's only one part or region and not representative of all Spain..I'm sure that's what you meant but I just wanted to clarify it :thumbup:
That's what I meant, Andalucia isn't Spain, it's simply a part of it, many of the other regions are very different. I received an e-mail today from a Spanish friend and it was basically about Andaluces being ridiculed in the rest of Spain for being lazy, uneducated etc, for only being associated with toros, flamenco, juerga and wine, for their accent, and it goes on and on. Much of Spain has quite a poor opinion of Andalucia, but I'm more than happy to visit there.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Up here too people say the same thing and I also have to agree about being happy to visit it.It's a really nice part of Spain to visit and I much prefer it to the Costa Brava coastwise.
The main problem is the work situation,there isn't any down there.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:17 am

I personally haven't noticed the smoking ban affecting licensed premises anywhere in Europe, the smokers just go outside and I don't think cold weather affects their attitude either, I travel frequently to Finland and Sweden where winter temperatures can be and often are below minus 15 even colder in the north, they just go outside smoke their fag then go back inside that anyway is my view based on recent experience.
I don't smoke cigarettes, joints only, and in private so it doesn't bother me anyway !
Ah! the full english!!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:24 am

laswalkirias wrote
As I have said before smoking is stupid, smelly and an expensive addiction to have, however drinking alcohol is stupid, smelly and an expensive addiction too.It must therefore follow that their needs to be a drinking ban introduced in public places on the same grounds of health and safety as these interfering health police are insisting upon enforcing against smokers.
Surely there is a difference between smoking and drinking in so far as smoking can affect those nearby (passive smoking) whereas the smell of stale beer doesn't normally cause passive intoxication. :?

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:37 am

masterob wrote:laswalkirias wrote
As I have said before smoking is stupid, smelly and an expensive addiction to have, however drinking alcohol is stupid, smelly and an expensive addiction too.It must therefore follow that their needs to be a drinking ban introduced in public places on the same grounds of health and safety as these interfering health police are insisting upon enforcing against smokers.
Surely there is a difference between smoking and drinking in so far as smoking can affect those nearby (passive smoking) whereas the smell of stale beer doesn't normally cause passive intoxication. :?
People who drink have been known to kill people with their cars, or stab, shoot, strangle and beat other individuals, I don't know of any recorded incident of death (other than their own)caused by smoking too many silk cuts, sorry masterob I don't mean to be facetious but I'm sure you get my point.
Ah! the full english!!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:31 am

I don't think I have seen a "discussion" on smoking where polluting cars, alcohol etc have not been brought into the discussion. Yes, they all kill, along with hundreds of other things, but I can't see how they fall into the category of "Smoking ban next year in Spain". We can discus alcohol or polluting cars if you like, but they are completely separate subjects.
Regards, Frank

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:43 am

Does passive smoking really kill? I know it's a stupid idea to smoke around asthmatics but I've yet to read (and believe) evidence of it killing people.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:31 pm

I found this that indicates that passive smoking can be dangerous
http://smokefree.nhs.uk/why-go-smokefre ... 4wodTHidaw

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I've read umpteen reports about passive smoking (BMA) and the risk is so slight it's almost impossible to measure. I do agree that for non-smokers it is extremely unpleasant.
Dave

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Mowser wrote:Does passive smoking really kill? I know it's a stupid idea to smoke around asthmatics but I've yet to read (and believe) evidence of it killing people.
Probably not the evidence that would convince you, but many better informed are convinced.
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/101847/ ... os/mueren/

200.000 trabajadores mueren al año por ser fumadores pasivos.
El 70 por ciento de los niños españoles son fumadores pasivos
El tabaquismo pasivo produjo 6.300 muertes en España en 2006
Last edited by frank on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Frank

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:13 pm

the reports on damage from passive smoking are like the climate change reports, the result of each survey depends on who has paid for the survey to be carried out !!
believe what you want to believe , not what you read !!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Frank. For every report saying that passive smoking kills, there's another saying the evidence is flawed. BTW - who decides who is better informed? BMJ article rubbishes the facts.
As Julian says, it depends who pays for the surveys.
Dave

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Mowser wrote:Frank. For every report saying that passive smoking kills, there's another saying the evidence is flawed. BTW - who decides who is better informed? BMJ article rubbishes the facts.
As Julian says, it depends who pays for the surveys.
Pretty much the reply I was expecting, but why would these reports lie, or even exaggerate? What's in it for them? I just cannot see any logical reason for them making false reports.
I looked for your BMJ reports rubbishing the claims, and came up with a few of their findings.
This hardly seems to be rubbishing the claims.
Exposure to secondhand smoke is an established cause of coronary heart disease, lung cancer, and premature death.
http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.a3070
They, and BMA have attacked a claim that passive smoking is not as bad as thought.
Dr Vivienne Nathanson, the BMA's head of science and ethics, said: "It would be wrong to be swayed by one flawed study funded by the tobacco industry.
"There is overwhelming evidence, built up over decades, that passive smoking causes lung cancer and heart disease, as well as triggering asthma attacks."
This from BMA Scotland.
Passive smoking and health
Second hand smoke increases the risk of lung cancer by 20 ' 30%
Passive smoke increases the risk of heart disease by 25 ' 35%
Eight out of 10 asthmatics say second hand smoke can trigger an attack
Passive smoke almost doubles the risk of stroke
Second hand smoke causes asthma, respiratory illnesses and ear infections in children
Eight out of 10 people know that second hand smoke can cause lung cancer
I'm happy for people to smoke, it's their choice, the one's that have my sympathy are the children that have no choice. Anyway, that's me out of this thread, I'm convinced even if the smokers aren't.
No hay peor ciego que el que no quiere ver.
Regards, Frank

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 pm

I also distrust reports...somewhere along the line I would suspect that they are funded by parties with vested interests..

Passive smoking really affects me, as I have allergic asthma, but so does a host of other things like cats, petrol fumes, dust...tax inspectors...just made that one up.. :lol:

But seriously , for me to spend an evening in a Spanish bar I have to take antihistamine tablets and use nasal sprays etc.....and even then I can suffer for several days after...

Wasn't it claimed that Roy Castle died from the effects of passive smoking..?....

Not sure what to think..?

Regards,
Gordon..

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:42 pm

It is amazing that so many smokers resist accepting that sucking smoke laced with chemicals into one's lungs is, at the least, stupid and risky, just like addicts of other drugs seem to ignore the obvious lunacy of sticking hollow needles into one's skin and squirting a solution into a vein.
I smoked cigarettes for around forty years, and am suffering the effects of this today - my only excuse is that way back then there was no talk of dangers. I become like the best of the Cherokee tracker/hunters when I am out and about - I can sense a smoker at many metres distance, and would certainly use bars and small restaurants much more if there was no smoking anywhere near them.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:54 pm

frank wrote ..."I just cannot see any logical reason for them making false reports"

I can´t see any logical reason for you telling us in one of your posts that you often go to pubs and in another post you telling us you don´t go to pubs...one of your posts was false and I suppose you have a reason for making the false statement, whether logical or otherwise.

as you like spanish sayings so much here is another one for you
"Se coge antes a un mentiroso que a un cojo "

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Retro P wrote
People who drink have been known to kill people with their cars, or stab, shoot, strangle and beat other individuals, I don't know of any recorded incident of death (other than their own)caused by smoking too many silk cuts, sorry masterob I don't mean to be facetious but I'm sure you get my point.
Of course drunken drivers can kill but this thread is about smoking in public bars. In the previous quote I highlighted, the OP seems to be saying that smoking and drinking in public bars both cause health problems to others present. I was only questioning that logic.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:45 pm

As someone told very firmly by a Senior hospital consultant to avoid bars where people smoke, I am delighted I will be able to enjoy my local bars without ingesting huge amounts of cigarette smoke, and putting my health at serious risk, lets not forget Roy Castle died of lung cancer due to passive smoking alone..........

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:29 pm

lets not forget Roy Castle died of lung cancer due to passive smoking alone..........
Roy Castle smoked cigars. He was also subjected to an inordinbate amount of Fuller's Earth. There are many respiratory health issues in the entertainment industry. Glycol based fog fluids are known to cause difficulty in breathing, respiratory distress and respiratory tract irritation. Oil based fog fluids are now classified as human carcinogens. Chlorides were often used in theatrical productions to create thick rolling smoke effects. These chlorides can cause permanent lung damage when inhaled.

Organic dusts have also been widely used and have been shown to cause a variety of acute and chronic lung problems by particulate irritation of the respiratory tract. Fuller's earth was a stage prop commonly used in film, TV and stage productions to create 'dusty' effects. Fuller's earth is a term used to describe any mineral dust and generally consists of aluminum magnesium silicates; montmorillonite, attapulgite, kaolin, kaolinite, floridin, diatomite, bentonite, palygorskite, wilkonite and halloysite. The dust from Fuller's Earth can contain various amounts of free crystalline silica which is a known human carcinogen. Palygorskite can cause fibrotic lung diseases similar to asbestosis. Acute silicosis can occur in people exposed to high concentrations of dust containing silica over a short period of time. Bentonite enables the dust to be suspended in the air for several hours and to be inhaled deeply into the lungs. Exposure can cause the inflammation of the pleura and chronic exposures may lead to chronic obstructive or restrictive lung disease.

A Quote from Roy Castle;

"My favourite moment of 'Carry On Up the Khyber' was the famous eating scene. We all had to continue eating and chatting completely oblivious of the explosions going on all around us. As the place slowly disintegrated and debris fell into our food, we pushed it around our plates and tried to avoid actually 'eating' any. The scene continued for what seemed an eternity, and this being a filming technique where the actors never actually played to the camera, no-one had noticed the crew's practical joke. We carried on pushing the food around which now included Fuller's earth powder (not harmful but equally not appetising). Eventually we had to put some of the revolting concoction in our mouths."

The only person in the entire world we can come up with who died from passive smoking was subjected to umpteen carcinogens. Name one other person who was clinically proven to have died fropm passive smoking. I'll not hold my breath (no pun intended).
Dave