Do we need insurance for a few days or 6 months?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Do we need insurance for a few days or 6 months?

Postby alexander1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:19 pm

We are pensioners. One fine, the other on medication for 2 mini-strokes within 4 days of each other in 2007, HBP and arthritis. Both with our EHIC cards.
We travel by car (insured for the appropriate time in Spain) through Spain and stay for just below the maximum of 183 days. We are also members of Helicopteros Sanitarios.
My question is – do we need travel insurance for 183 days or just the few days we travel between Spain/UK?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Do we need insurance for a few days or 6 months?

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:23 pm

Hello A 1,
I would suggest that you would be better to have travel insurance for your complete stay.

If you 'shop around' I'm sure that you would be able to find some very reasonable annual insurance, short term insurance is usually quite expensive in comparison...
Try Saga or similar company,also there are some 'no frills' insurance policies available with many other companies,... only pay for what you need..

Hope that helps !

Regards,
Gordon..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:48 pm

You may well be covered for medical emergencies and ongoing treatment under the EHIC but it does not cover repatriation (dead or alive) and other expenses.

Get some decent travel cover.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:45 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Hello A 1,

If you 'shop around' I'm sure that you would be able to find some very reasonable annual insurance, short term insurance is usually quite expensive in comparison...
If it's anything like mine, with pre existing conditions like he has, it'll cost, or they'll be excluded.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm

I would suggest that you would be better to have travel insurance for your complete stay.

Try Saga or similar company,also there are some 'no frills' insurance policies available with many other companies,... only pay for what you need..

Hope that helps !

Regards,
Gordon..
Hi Benidorm and thanks for your reply. I tried going down the annual insurance road but cover is for 90 days only at one time, so had to rule that one out. Whilst writing, we also pay more for the house being empty - even although we have someone looking in and seeing to our post etc. Saga are the only company we have found that will insure us for this length of time.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:11 pm

El Cid wrote:You may well be covered for medical emergencies and ongoing treatment under the EHIC but it does not cover repatriation (dead or alive) and other expenses.

Get some decent travel cover.

Sid
Thanks El Cid - I'm afraid you might be correct!! In fact you are correct - unfortunately!

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:20 pm

frank wrote:

If it's anything like mine, with pre existing conditions like he has, it'll cost, or they'll be excluded.
Thank you Frank -but what makes you think that it's a 'he?' :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:41 pm

A 1,
Yes I can see your dilemma , I have numerous friends who have the same problems...

One of them told me that they take 'annual' policies with 2 companies cheaper than taking short term policies, then inform them of different dates of travel...don't know how legal that is...but full marks for creative thinking..I would say...You can of course travel again in the same year of the policy term..
Have you tried http://www.cheaptravelinsurance.com ?...They seem to be quite helpful and accept some medical conditions, they are quite basic, but some of my family have used them and found them reliable...
If you haven't already tried can I suggest that you contact a Spanish insurance company and tell them of your needs...you might be pleasantly surprised.
Anyway , please let us know how you get on....

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:56 am

alexander1 wrote:.....Whilst writing, we also pay more for the house being empty - even although we have someone looking in and seeing to our post etc. Saga are the only company we have found that will insure us for this length of time.
try http://www.intasure.com/ - they have no time restrictions or inspection requirements :D

:oops: Just realised you were probably referrring to your UK home rather than a holiday home - I don't know about that bit, but it may be worth a try anyway :)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Many thanks chrissiehope. Tried going down the route of the website you mentioned but they don't take 'oldies' like us! Sorry - Had to 'edit' this - looked at the site Benidorm suggested!!) Looked at Columbus which insure certain medical conditions but I am unsure as to the answer to tick on what came up!

1. Have you suffered from a medical condition or received any medication, advice or treatment for a medical condition within the last 12 months? This includes investigations, reviews and admissions relating to medical conditions.

Every year our medical practice reviews our medications and arrange routine blood tests. I don't know whether I should answer yes or no to this! :oops:

As to Saga - yes, this is for our house in the UK. I'm off now to try Age Concern - or whatever it is called now!

Any help out there is greatly appreciated!

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I've have found an insurer (Columbus) at a reasonable price covering both our 'pre-existing' conditions for just under 180 days for £318 which I feel is really reasonable.