Is the coalition committing treason?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
TerryC
Resident

Is the coalition committing treason?

Postby TerryC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:48 pm

I have always been told that the first duty of any government is defence of that country. I firmly believe that the coalition is failing the country miserably in their duty. They dressed up the Comprehensive Defence Review (CDR) as a long overdue review of the country's requirements going forward. I would like to see their crystal ball because I don't think anybody can tell what we are going to require in the way of defence over the next 20 years. A for instance, I can see Argentina champing at the bit to have a go in the Falklands again because they know we won't have the capability of defending the place (particularly now the big O has been discovered). OK I know we can quickly get troops there via Ascention, that's assuming they leave the runway at Port Stanley operable to big jets. No the CDR was dressed up, but in fact it was a let's get rid of big budget items review. Today it has been announced that 1,300 jobs at BAE systems are to go after the new Nimrod order has been cancelled (apparantly already paid for) and no more Harriers. Not only does this put 1,300 on the dole along with families, shops, anciliary suppliers etc it also sees another cut in British industry (particularly the defence industry) already on its knees and nearly non-existant. The Ark Royal has gone and we are to "share" an aircraft carrier from the French. I can just see them agreeing to sending The Charles de Gaul to the South Atlantic, reminds me of the man himself, it would be a big fat "Non". On top of all this Cameron is to share our nuclear secrets with the French. If this is not treason I don't know what is.
I believe treason is the only Capital offence left on the statute books. I think Cameron should be hung from the first lamppost outside No 10.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is the coalition committing treason?

Postby julian » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:05 pm

the country has to be defended ........but defended from who and what? who would want to "take" the UK, and what would they want it for?

"I think Cameron should be hung from the first lamppost outside No 10."
is there enough in the kitty to buy the rope?
Last edited by julian on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Terry You need to come down from your village from time to time.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:08 am

It is a bit unfair to leave a village without its idiot, even for a while....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:30 am

Well, there's a response I didn't expect. Perhaps I'm the only expat in Spain who cares about the UK.

You can never tell where our troops are going to be needed, perhaps being dragged into a conflict on the coat tails of the US. Iran, N Korea, Taiwan and closer to home, God forbid N Ireland, who knows, certainly not the experts. If our troops go in they'll need support, how does the MOD propose to supply that. Our lads are stretched thin as it is what with Iraq still, and Afghanistan.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:23 am

I would be much more impressed with the country of my birth if there were moves to emulate a country like Switzerland, a very important mover and shaker behind the scenes of world politics, but with very little spending on or use of armed forces, or ego-flattering declarations about what other governements around the world should do about this, that, or the other!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:07 am

TerryC wrote:Perhaps I'm the only expat in Spain who cares about the UK.
They only care if it affects the euro, their pensions, winter fuel allowance, or ability to receive the TV soaps. :lolno: :lolno:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:48 am

You don't have to post a load of drivel in a Forum which is supposed to be about Andalucia to prove you care about your place of birth! :roll:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:02 pm

masterob wrote:You don't have to post a load of drivel in a Forum which is supposed to be about Andalucia to prove you care about your place of birth! :roll:
True, but in fairness to the OP he did post it in
General
Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
which is for subjects that don't fall into the Living in/Moving to Andalucia etc. We can agree/disagree about the content of his post, but in the category it's in, I don't see a problem. There are all manner of posts in that forum that have nothing at all to do with Andalucia, isn't that what it's for?
Regards, Frank

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 pm

You have overlooked what it says at the top of each page:
The Andalucia.com forums are intended for those looking for information or resources in Andalucia and Southern Spain
I know some posts can be rather wide of that mark but at least they are usually of interest rather than predictable rants reminiscent of those from a Hyde Park soapbox commentator! :yawn:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:01 pm

masterob wrote:You have overlooked what it says at the top of each page:
I don't think I have, and if all the posts that only strictly adhered to that criteria were deleted, the forum would be an even quieter place than it is already. I'm sure you've taken part in threads that had nothing to do with Andalucia, I know most of us have, it happens. What I really think your problem is is that you disagree strongly with everything the OP has written. That's fine, but as a member he has the right to voice his opinions, and the title gives a good clue as what the thread is about, so you have the choice as to whether you read him or not. I've never agreed with anything another poster here writes, so I put him on "ignore" long ago, try it, it works, you won't be bothered by him again. He's entitled to write whatever he wants, I just prefer not to read it. Incidentally, I have no strong opinions either way on what the OP is writing, but he's entitled to his views, even if we are totally opposed to them.
Regards, Frank

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:35 pm

"I've never agreed with anything another poster here writes"

now that says a lot about our franky !!!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:55 pm

There are all manner of posts in that forum that have nothing at all to do with Andalucia, isn't that what it's for?
Yes. My helicopter is full of eels.
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:02 pm

You've got one too?...good man :thumbup: ..........I have as well, did I mention it? :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:You've got one too?...good man :thumbup: ..........I have as well, did I mention it? :mrgreen:
You may have hinted, or skirted round the subject in one of your many posts about helicopters.

:wave:
Dave

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:06 pm

I didn´t know you also had eels DA

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:14 pm

I am now the owner of 2 helicopters (bought for Grandson). Cost $49.90 for 2. Don't know if they are any good but thought he may have fun as they live in a barn conversion with lots of beams to navigate.

Back to the topic...the coalition is an absolute disaster, Clegg and Cameron are too. Worse thing that could have happened :evil:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Worse thing would have been more of the incompetence of Phew Labour!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:18 pm

if they live in a barn it would have been kinder to spend the money on a decent blanket for them rather than buying helicopters, especially at this time of year, poor ones.
welcome back !

"Worse thing that could have happened" .....the condems are starting to live up to their name !!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:21 pm

They are not due to have a happy event sometime in late December are they - shepherds gathering and all that?