British Consulate offices in Spain to go?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

British Consulate offices in Spain to go?

Postby hillybilly » Wed May 04, 2011 1:15 pm

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: British Consulate offices in Spain to go?

Postby masterob » Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 am

In nearly seven years here have never needed to use the British Consulate. Don't know if that is typical or just that we have been fortunate.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu May 05, 2011 10:26 am

We had to go there once to obtain a certificate of no impedemance to get married in Spain. The whole process took 10 mins and they charged us €150, they must make a profit. They did say that they were usually busy with tourists getting arrested, loosing their passports, needing repatriated etc.
The thing that amused me though was that you needed a reasonable level of Spanish to get passed the security guard :roll:
Ann

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu May 05, 2011 11:58 am

We also went there once to get the Baja Consular certificate required when transferring my car to Spanish plate. I was also charged 150 euros or thereabouts. Whata rip of that is for one signature on a piece of paper.
Regards

Bob

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Have been a few times and it is always really full. Mainly tourists who have had their passports stolen. Spoke to one couple and they were robbed before leaving the airport :shock:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu May 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Many have already closed. The Malaga consulate has been taking on extra workload in Andalucia for some time. Means they get more days out visiting British prisoners across the region :)

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Mon May 09, 2011 7:50 am

When you are resident in Spain and renew your British passport through the British Consulate in Madrid they charge £128 pounds for a standard renewal compared to £77.50 if resident in UK, I wrote to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London to ask "why " and they stated it was to enable them to offer a good service to Britains living abroad, well with the closing of these Consuls does this mean the end of this " rip off " and we can renew in UK for the same fee, I doubt it !!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 am

I renewed mine while on a visit to the UK last year, to hell with the outrageous prices charged by the Embassy in Madrid! Not so easy of course, if you don't have a reason to visit the UK!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue May 10, 2011 4:45 am

masterob wrote:I renewed mine while on a visit to the UK last year, to hell with the outrageous prices charged by the Embassy in Madrid! Not so easy of course, if you don't have a reason to visit the UK!
Unless the 'Mad max ' scenario has started , I can't think of a good reason .
Todos somos Lorca.