A Strange Question...

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

A Strange Question...

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:02 am

My Wife and I visited our local market on Saturday to purchase our fruit and veg, and we do tend to buy from the same market trader, who always gives us good service and quality produce.
It was unusually quiet, so as my Wife was choosing her fruit I chatted with the stall holder, just the normal pleasantries and and the usual weather comments etc...
But then all of a sudden he blurted out...'' What Religion Are You ? ''.
I have to say that I was rather 'taken aback' by this question, and wasn't actually sure what to reply, and before I could answer he fired another startling question...''Are You Christian'' ?..
So I did just say ''Yes'' and didn't expand any further with this subject...

I have always taken the view that it is not correct to discuss religion or politics with a 'stranger', or even in a public place, and I have no wish to discuss the subject here on this forum.
However , I 'racked' my brains trying to think when was the last time I had been openly asked what religion I 'belonged' to, and as far as I can remember it was in the 1960's...in Northern Ireland...

I've kept thinking about this rather thought provoking question over the weekend and I haven't really come up with a satisfactory answer.
So perhaps someone on the forum can offer a sensible answer.?

Perhaps he was just trying to make conversation, or was it a racially motivated question ?
Or....?
I've always just thought of him as a local Spanish man, but I think that he is probably of recent Arab origins, I'm probably just looking at something that isn't there, but would appreciate any informed comments/ observations.

Kind Regards,
Gordon.

detourer
Resident

Re: A Strange Question...

Postby detourer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:22 am

Bit odd but the clue may be in the "Arab" look. Maybe a bit touchy due to Ramadam.

I was in Fes a week or so ago and the lack of cigs, food and drink does seem to have an effect as the longs day drags on. BUT, as always very very friendly.

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Might have been someone that had come across Henry the V111 and so on.

It is all old hat to Brits but to the Spanish . Most we have talked to haven't a clue about the profound impact he had on Britains religion.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Detourer and Olive,
Many thanks for your prompt suggestions, I hadn't considered either theory...

I will 'ponder' on them.....

Nice to get good informed swift answers from the more intellectual members of the forum ... :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm

A similar incident occurred to a friend of ours who spoke excellent Spanish. A neighbour, whom she had known for years, asked her which region of Spain she was from (because of her accent). The neighbour was amazed when she was told our friend was English. It just did not occur to the neighbour that she could be an 'extranjera'.

Religion. If the guy thought you were Spanish and not a Catholic, perhaps he thinks you look like a Muslim or a Jew!

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Possibly just trying to find out if you are an infidel so he knows who's who when the liberation of Al Andalus takes place. :lolno:
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:20 pm

Many spanish are more open about asking personal questions. When I was young I had a spanish boyfriend. When he introduced me to his Mother the third question was asking if I was a catholic :roll:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:01 pm

You should have reciprocated and asked him what his religion was.
Had he seen you eating or drinking between sunrise and sunset?
I think the new crescent moon has a lot to answer for. Might see it tonight!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:55 am

And now I'm really confused... :?

Regards,
Gordon the Infidel.... :lol:

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 am

BENIDORM wrote:And now I'm really confused... :?

Regards,
Gordon the Infidel.... :lol:

Some things dont change then Gordon :thumbup:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:06 pm

In Scotland the question usually was "What school do you go to?"
Failing that it was "What team do you support?"
Dave

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Mowser wrote:In Scotland the question usually was "What school do you go to?"
.. and in dodgy areas:
"Are you a Kaflick" or
"What foot do you kick with"
I never found out the answer to that one & just replied that I didn't play football and scarpered quick. :crazy:
Ann

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Stretching the point a bit but another clue may have been what you were buying [if you look a bit “Arab”]…….. :think:

Among some of the fruits and vegetables mentioned in the Koran [Qur’an] and Hadith are melons, grapes, citrus, squash, figs and dates………Was your bag full of these?
The Koran says that “fruits, palm trees and pomegranates” were provided for our nourishment. Indeed ………

“The pains of labour drove her to the trunk of a date-palm. She [Maryam] said, "Oh if only I had died before this time and was something discarded and forgotten!" A voice called out to her from under her, "Do not grieve! Your Lord has placed a small stream at your feet. Shake the trunk of the palm towards you and fresh, ripe dates will drop down onto you. Eat and drink and delight your eyes…" (Qur'an, 19:23-26)”

On the other hand was you bag full only of fruit?

“Fruit” is short for The Fruit of Islam that is the male-only paramilitary wing of the Nation of Islam. There is a women’s only counterpart, but as you would expect their contribution is generally confined to peeling the veg! :roll:

Born in Canada, raised in the UK, living in Spain, second home in Morocco [Source Bleue du Meski], study Islam/Culture because of interest and my business........not Muslim !

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:27 pm

WOW....
My bag was full of all the fruit that you mentioned.... :shock:

And yes I could have an Arab look... :shifty:

And I have been mistaken for Omar Sharif several times..... :oops:

And I was carrying a rug that I had just purchased... :problem:

Flipping 'Eck....
He must have thought I was one of his brothers.... :lol: :lol:

I wondered why he came me an extra bag of fruit....

Regards,
Gordon the Camel Driver.....

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Probably fattening you up ready for Eid ul-Fitr, that should start tomorrow [depending where in the Muslin world you are.

Eid is a truly fantastic holiday........

Thursday I am crossing to Morocco for a few weeks with a small group of vehicles on tour, but we will take time to visit close family friends around the country.........visiting Fes, Er Rachidia, the dunes at Erg Chebbie before crossing over to Marrakech and back up the coast. The highlight being the wedding fair [moussem] at Imilchil, where you can pick up a bride for a day or two [joke] unless you are of the Ait Haddidou tribe, when it is a little more permanent following a signing in the tent of the adould [lawyers].

Divorce is as easy!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Beni - poor bloke was probably blinded by your shade of dungeon white and became confused !
What a great time to travel to Morocco, Detourer.
I used to enjoy Eid al Fitr - spelled differently depending where you lived.
It was nice watching all the little kids coming out in their party dresses, great big smiles, carrying dishes of special food across the street to great aunty this and that - everybody in a good mood for a change and the excitement palpable. They even saved up to buy new furniture, new clothes. Barbers and henna shops packed to bursting point with customers.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Mowser wrote:In Scotland the question usually was "What school do you go to?"
I thought the first thing they asked up there was
" What the f@@@ you looking at, Jemmy" :shock: :shock:
Hardworking resident !!