Kindle

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Kindle

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Nice to see a tale of good customer service on here for a change :clap: :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Note that it was an American company - NOT Spanish!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Thinking of buying my wife a Kindle for Xmas.
I know I can't buy from the UK site of Amazon, have to use the American site.
Anybody brought this way and did you have to pay import duties?
Last thing I bought from America, not via Amazon, is was shocked at the amount I had to pay in import duties.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 pm

gerryh wrote:Thinking of buying my wife a Kindle for Xmas.
I know I can't buy from the UK site of Amazon, have to use the American site.
Anybody brought this way and did you have to pay import duties?
Last thing I bought from America, not via Amazon, is was shocked at the amount I had to pay in import duties.
Cheers
Gerry
It will cost more than from the UK site.

If you can, order it from the UK and get someone to send it out.

Amazon are great 99% of the time but they have really screwed up the Kindle ordering process for no good reason.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:49 pm

El Cid wrote:

If you can, order it from the UK and get someone to send it out.

Amazon are great 99% of the time but they have really screwed up the Kindle ordering process for no good reason.

Sid
Sorry, I should have said the Kindle Touch which isn't available in the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Gerry, I ordered one from the states last week and it was here in four days no import charges.

Mhic.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:34 am

mhic wrote:Gerry, I ordered one from the states last week and it was here in four days no import charges.

Mhic.
Was that direct from Amazon or one of the resellers on Ebay?
How was it delivered?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 am

Gerry, It was direct from the US Amazon site courier.

Mhic.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:21 am

Hi Gerryh

There is so much rubbish spoken about Amazon/kindle........part of the problem of being a good/successful company I think.

There is Amazon .co.uk AND Amazon.com and Amazon have recently opened a center in Spain. They are in general top class and promt with deliveries.

Of course, if an item is only available in the USA [like the Kindle Fire at the moment] they will tell you...and in fact when I tried to order one here in Spain they said "Not Available".......so no problem, a short wait. BUT, I did order another unit for an Xmas gift and it arrived within a week.......

Downloading books continues to be a breeze, whereever you are. I took mine to a conference in Rabat [Morocco] last week and loaded documents and a book in lest than one min., yesterday here in Spain I downloaded four books that all came withing seconds.

The only proble I experienced was NOT Amazon/Kindle but was my changed CC details which was again sorted, online,in a flash.

I found a couple of other books here in Spain [Fueg] but they were near double the published price same books in UK,....where I am next week were available but much more expensive that Kindle. Plus I have the lug them back in a cattle flight!

Just buy one.........you will not be sorry!
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:44 am

As far as I can understand from all these posts, I was right to be wary: I have no real connection with the UK, and all my account details with Amazon.co.uk show me as living in Spain (although mine is a UK-issued credit card), so they must have changed something since anyone here bought theirs.
I have looked at the USA site, but the range of books is different, and seems to have less free ones, plus I would be buying in dollars with all the credit card conversion charges.
I am one customer they will not get unless and until they change their policy, or Amazon.es offers the same range as the UK.
Pity.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:33 pm

Peter, as I wrote previously, my Amazon account shows my address as that here in Spain but it has not stopped Amazon UK from letting me purchase books from their Kindle range. I use my UK credit card, it's as straightforward as that. From my reading of what many others have posted it is their experience also. After all, the advantage of Kindle is that, provided you have an internet or wireless link you can purchase books "on the move" irrespective of where you actually live. Rob

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 pm

I have just logged on to Amazon.co.uk, gone to the Kindle books page and at the top of the page it says "The Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk is for UK customers only.
Not from the UK? Please visit the Amazon.com Kindle Store to shop for titles available for your country
."

So whatever and however, you are just being fotunate and getting away with it!

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Have just read that amazon.es have launched the kindle in Spain.. cost of 99 euros...

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 pm

I don’t understand...................what exactly do you not get or are you assuming, as others [mostly none users], on what you read here and elsewhere?

I use a UK and Spanish CC to purchase books for the BOTH our kindle's. My billing address on one kindle is a UK one and on the other a Spanish one. I move from Amazon.co.uk too Amazon.com with ease and using all combinations. Buying [and you can cancel] is an ease as is downloading. And you can do far more with the kindle, paste, copy, check, ref etc etc., than you can with a book.

Granted some later and new “Kindle Books” are no or not much cheaper, but most are. 500.000+ are free..... A kindle, that works [as it is supposed to] is around 89.00 £,$,e or whatever.......some new books are not available in Kindle form.

And anyway if having a kindle feels like an issue you don’t need one..........load the programe onto a computer FREE.

Just like in the dark-ages when calculators and clunky computers hit the scene.........

Nobody is suggesting that the Kindle or any of the many other e’readers spell the end of books or writers or reading. I fact I know people who now read who never did [or little] before they got their device.

Only downside I have is that I can't read it in the dark....where I do find myself [Sahara] a lot.

Now where did I put me quill?
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:05 pm

PS......

...."I have just logged on to Amazon.co.uk, gone to the Kindle books page and at the top of the page it says "The Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk is for UK customers only.
Not from the UK? Please visit the Amazon.com Kindle Store to shop for titles available for your country."

So whatever and however, you are just being fotunate and getting away with it!............"

So......go to Amazon.com :roll:

eddiejames
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby eddiejames » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Kindle books are now available in Spain on Amazon.es! This should make life a whole lot cheaper for those of us who are not registered in the UK and had to buy from Amazon.com and pay about $2 in charges. My 5 star rated crime novel is now available for 99c http://www.amazon.es/Steps-to-Heaven-eb ... B005U9T20A
Wendy

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:39 pm

99c......... :thumbup: .........There you go Wendy..........I will download it while at Malaga Airport later [Kindle is in a car that I left there overnight..............I hope! :? ]..............

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Well. if we're plugging books on Kindle :wink: my children's books are at:

http://tinyurl.com/chvyjww

my friernd's novel (thriller mystery):
http://tinyurl.com/cr9h4lm

her husband's novel (psychological thriller):
http://tinyurl.com/cxje3xw

all at 1.15 euros (£1 equivalent - this price on amazon.uk)

Happy reading :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:35 pm

In my [not so long ago and a bit now] previous life as a freelance travel feature writer and editor of a National UK Mag/s etc., that new-fangled thing called a “computer” spawned a whole new load of writers........and now we have the e’readers...............great stuff and good....but not sure, as they say, that everyone has a book in them!

And yes I kept a rack of proof readers in work!

eddiejames
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby eddiejames » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:00 am

Hi Chrissie good to meet a fellow author! I wish you all the best with your endeavours.
Let's hope kindle books on Amazon.es are good for both readers and authors.
Wendy