Kindle

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Kindle

Postby IreneD » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm in Spain for a week and have down-loaded some books no problem. I am registered with Amazon.co.uk

I do like my Kindle but every now and then, I read a real book, love real books.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:11 pm

The Kindle I purchased from Amazon.es can only be registered to Amazon.com or Amazon.es unless I change the address to the UK.
This would cause a conflict with credit card details / deliveries, etc.
Is there a solution to this or should I send it back to Amazon.es and order one from the UK?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:58 pm

White Horse wrote:The Kindle I purchased from Amazon.es can only be registered to Amazon.com or Amazon.es unless I change the address to the UK.
This would cause a conflict with credit card details / deliveries, etc.
Is there a solution to this or should I send it back to Amazon.es and order one from the UK?
You can't order one from the UK. You can only get one from Spain or America.
I ordered mine from Spain and registered to a UK Amazon account.
This was set up cussing a spare email address. Didn't have any problem associating my credit card number with this account.
The credit card is already associated with my Spanish and another UK Amazon account.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:13 pm

I might have a Kindle....my sister left hers at Malaga airport, rang lost property the next day, it had not been handed in, so she bought a new one. She claimed on her travel insurance, to find the kindle had been found, so she now has 2 kindles. We are picking up the 'lost' one, She isn't claiming on her insurance now it is found I had better point out!
She has said I can have the one that was 'lost'. We do not, yet, have internet at home, there is wifi in the town, in a park and at a bar. If I go to the library can I download via a computer there or do I need to down load something to the pc first?? I have no idea how to download! Sister days she can transfer ownership to me at Amazon, do I have to ring them to register creditcard? I have purchased from Amazon before, but only when in the UK. It would be nice to get rid if all the books on my bookcase, it is looking so untidy, and dusty!!

All help, ie ' kindle for dummies' greatly recieved. At moment I can only access internet via mobile phone, a Sony Ericsson Experia, can I download via that? See I really am a dummy! :lol: :crazy:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks, Gerry. :thumbup:
New Amazon account set up at relatives address in UK. Sorted.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:34 pm

oliveview01 wrote:I might have a Kindle....my sister left hers at Malaga airport, rang lost property the next day, it had not been handed in, so she bought a new one. She claimed on her travel insurance, to find the kindle had been found, so she now has 2 kindles. We are picking up the 'lost' one, She isn't claiming on her insurance now it is found I had better point out!
She has said I can have the one that was 'lost'. We do not, yet, have internet at home, there is wifi in the town, in a park and at a bar. If I go to the library can I download via a computer there or do I need to down load something to the pc first?? I have no idea how to download! Sister days she can transfer ownership to me at Amazon, do I have to ring them to register creditcard? I have purchased from Amazon before, but only when in the UK. It would be nice to get rid if all the books on my bookcase, it is looking so untidy, and dusty!!

All help, ie ' kindle for dummies' greatly recieved. At moment I can only access internet via mobile phone, a Sony Ericsson Experia, can I download via that? See I really am a dummy! :lol: :crazy:
The Kindle connects directly to, and downloads from the Wi-fi, not via a computer.
You can either keep the Kindle as is, or you can deregister it, re-registering to your own Amazon account.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Oh well, I will have to spend time in the park or a bar!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:24 pm

oliveview01 wrote:Oh well, I will have to spend time in the park or a bar!!
Only when you are buying/ downloading new ebooks.
Don't need a connection to read them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:33 pm

gerryh wrote:
oliveview01 wrote:Oh well, I will have to spend time in the park or a bar!!
Only when you are buying/ downloading new ebooks.
Don't need a connection to read them.
Cheers
Gerry

Oh b*gger, no excuse to spend an evening in a bar!! When downloading, is it like getting wifi on my phone? In the new year, once we get the new roof, we will, hopefully, get wifi internet at home.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:38 pm

oliveview01 wrote:

Oh b*gger, no excuse to spend an evening in a bar!! When downloading, is it like getting wifi on my phone? In the new year, once we get the new roof, we will, hopefully, get wifi internet at home.
In that case perhaps you need a daily visit to the bar in case you need to download a new book. :thumbup:
Getting a WiFi connection on your Kindle is exactly the same as getting it on your phone.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Well I have the kindle, read 2 books so far. I went to the library today, got connected to wifi, got into the kindle.es bit, I could not get into the UK site. Until tomorrow it will still be registered to my sister. How do I find the free books to download? My sister has archived books, can I get into them too? As I said, I really need kindle for dummies!!
Can you take me step by step please? Then I can copy and paste the instructions and print them off. I had always said I did not fancy a kindle, but I think it is good. I can read in bed at night, using the little light attachment.
Thanks in advance!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Have you read the Kindle users guide which should be on your Kindle?
It might be in the archived section and need downloading again.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi oliveview01,
Can't you pull up something similar to this on your computer , then you can read and action on the Kindle....
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... dle-2.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi oliveview01,
Can't you pull up something similar to this on your computer , then you can read and action on the Kindle....
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... dle-2.html
Those instructions are for a Kindle2, if it was bought recently it is more likely to be a Kindle4.
The Guide supplied with the Kindle is, in my opinion, easier to understand and follow.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I find it easier to do all my searching for books, free, reference or otherwise on the computer........make a note of anything I want and then just type title into the Kindle....whooosh.......

Bought the wife a new basic one Christmas [I have a Kindle DX...of course!] and just downloaded the full manual onto the computer....... When I read this for the DX I found so much more that I could do with it.

Downside.......TWO kindles......book reading is now getting expensive.

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:22 pm

You can get yourself on a Kindle Forum.............. 8)

http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Sitting in pizza place, with wifi, can't download as don't know sisters email for logging in. It is still in her name, she is in bed with flu so can't speak to the kindle folk. You would think she would struggle from her sick bed wouldn't you!! Will have a look on Monday at library, using their internet to find books I want.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for help

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 am

detourer wrote:I find it easier to do all my searching for books, free, reference or otherwise on the computer........make a note of anything I want and then just type title into the Kindle....whooosh.......

You can download and send the books directly to your Kindle from your PC. Even whooosher.... :D

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:21 am

Some of you might mot be aware but you can download Kindle for PC onto your PC or laptop ,
There is also an app available for Android smartphones.
So you can download and read Kindle books on your PC, laptop or smartphone without needing to buy a Kindle.
At the moment I share books between my wife's Kindle, my PC, laptop and smartphone and Kindle knows which page I am on irrespective of which device i am using.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris