Rats (yes, again !)

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Rats (yes, again !)

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Last December, we had to replace our well pump (the whole thing) at a cost of just under 1000 euros.
We were told it was rats going down to nest & chewing the cable, and having seen what they did to one of our water features cable, I can well believe it. So we smothered the well head with chicken wire to stop the blighters getting in.
So far so good, but now we have just shelled out 336 euros to repair the damn thing again :thumbdown: so the chicken wire is obviously not working. It has been suggested we have a caseta of concrete over the well head, but if they are tunnelling underground, is this going to be any help ?
What do others do ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

detourer
Resident

Re: Rats (yes, again !)

Postby detourer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Due to illness I lost “Sidney” my young Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz (the Andalusian wine cellar keeper's rat hunting dog) a few months ago. Also called Wine Dog I think.

Ratting was a successful bonus to a truly fantastic, funny, intelligent and loyal companion.

Sidney was with me 100% of the time, even traveling to Morocco over 30 times in his short life. I was so utterly devastated at the loss that the thought of another “replacement” was not an option.

Mmmmm..........3 month old “Alice” now sits at my feet as I type.........

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Yes, I'd love an "Alice", but we don't live there full-time, so I'm afraid pets are out :thumbdown:

Awful when a pet goes tho, isn't it ? We had a German Shepherd who was 17 1/2 when we had to have her put down - she was hubby's dog since before I knew him, and he was utterly devastated. I had to take care of everything, and we've not had a dog since.... :(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:49 pm

detourer wrote:.
Due to illness I lost “Sidney” my young Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz (the Andalusian wine cellar keeper's rat hunting dog) a few months ago. Also called Wine Dog I think.

Ratting was a successful bonus to a truly fantastic, funny, intelligent and loyal companion.

Sidney was with me 100% of the time, even traveling to Morocco over 30 times in his short life. I was so utterly devastated at the loss that the thought of another “replacement” was not an option.

Mmmmm..........3 month old “Alice” now sits at my feet as I type.........

Photo of Alice please?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:17 pm

This is what the breed looks like.

Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

GilbertGrump
Tourist

Postby GilbertGrump » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:16 am

I rescue this breed. Over 60 safe and well in uk from jerez and Cordoba perrera. Wonderful dogs

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi GilbertGrump,
Bravo :!: , for getting involved in this breed ( Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz ), Mrs E has one rescued from an underground garage in Jaén.

I'm guessing you run a Rescue Charity :?: So posting a link would be ok with the Mods.

I've seen ours neutralize a rat that had a 40mtr start. Great early warning when visitors approaching the house. Self exercising if needed as don't go far from base and return. Unlike my Huskies they seem to want to return to Siberia if given the choice.
I'm Currently awaiting a rescue Husky .........always up for a challenge.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:55 pm

I had a similar problem with the well head about 5 years ago and we build a small concrete head to it that the builders mixed broken glass (!!!) into. We have not had a single problem since then and they certainly haven't buried their way in. I was unhappy about the glass after the event but it was explained to me that they would chew through standard concrete.

GilbertGrump
Tourist

Postby GilbertGrump » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Enrique wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:42 pm Hi GilbertGrump,
Bravo :!: , for getting involved in this breed ( Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz ), Mrs E has one rescued from an underground garage in Jaén.

I'm guessing you run a Rescue Charity :?: So posting a link would be ok with the Mods.

I've seen ours neutralize a rat that had a 40mtr start. Great early warning when visitors approaching the house. Self exercising if needed as don't go far from base and return. Unlike my Huskies they seem to want to return to Siberia if given the choice.
I'm Currently awaiting a rescue Husky .........always up for a challenge.
Thank you x we are not registered charity status yet. But we are active on Facebook. We work a lot with saving dogs Cordoba amongst other dog rescuers in Spain. We are on Facebook...bodeguero UK. Best dogs on the planet