Anyone read a good book lately ?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Anyone read a good book lately ?

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:09 pm

I have about 80 pages to go. It is very good and he weaves his story skilfully between documented, historical events and fictional characters and yet I am not altogether convinced I know who the fictional and non-fictional people are. Of course, some people can be looked up on the internet and the whole thrust of the book is well-documented. I get the feeling Pérez-Reverte doesn't much like the English, or at least, how the English portrayed themselves after the war; as heroes and brave lads pitted against cowardly, hopeless Italians. The real story seems to be very different.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:06 pm

Talking of Italians...one of the best books I've read in recent years was by Tiziano Terzani (A Fortune Teller Told Me). Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any more of his books in English.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:56 pm

I recently finished "As I walked out one midsummer morning" by Laurie Lee. A fascinating account of a road trip, on foot, through the south of England and then from the north of Spain to the south in the 1930s, up to the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. It was recommended by Richard E Grant on his TV series "Write Around the World".