Anyone read a good book lately ?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Anyone read a good book lately ?

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm

'The Ornament of the World'
How Muslims, Jews and Christians created a culture of tolerance in Medieval Spain.
by María Rosa Menocal
ISBN 0-316-16871-8
Published by Back Bay Book Little Brown

Brilliant book, well written, flows and blinking interesting. Makes you want to weep at the end when the Catholics came along and taught everyone intolerance, torture and how to burn people alive at the stake.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

It’s probably not a good idea to open a debate on the contents of recommended books here........but.....

I have read “Ornament of the World” as well as dozens of others on the subject of Moorish Spain and the “Occupation” and have found like many [most] books of this type it has an agenda and as usual is way off the mark.

Yes the Moors/Arabs did contribute much, well a lot actually, at the time to Al Andalus i.e. agriculture [revamped Roman], architecture [from the east], medicine [Loads of stuff to practice on], astrology [lack of desert maps] etc etc., but under the Muslim Moors it was hardly the jewel of Islamic tolerance that it is often purported to be.

The so called tolerant period probably covered no more than a 50 year or so span ....... other than that slavery was rife, towns and cities sacked, assassinations and family feuding, killing sons, brothers and fathers was the best way to move up the ladder. Punitive taxes, ghettoes and distinctive/stigma clothing kept the Jews and Christians identified and in check and was the norm [so called “Jewish Areas” still exist in most major cities if by name only know]. The Moors even turned on and treated increadably badly the real force and alies/right hand behind the conquest and occupation, the Berbers.

In 920 A.D. all the inhabitants of Muez were put to the sword. Cordova, Zarajoza and Merida were burned to the ground, with all adult males executed and all women and children enslaved. In AD 1066 all the Jews of Grenada were slaughtered. In AD 1126, all the Christians of Grenada were deported to Morocco ......and so it went on and on and on...........

That good old card Bin Laden oftern refered to Spain as the “Andalusia Tragedy” and called for its return to its “Rightfull” owners...The Arabs...... and in recent months the new number two [or was it the old number two?] has called for a renewed Jihad in the region.

All land, even conquered lands, once occupied by Muslims is forever and rightly theirs .... the Big Book says so!

And before I stand accused I am not an anti-Muslim .......... just an unbiased observer/study...

Whooops, way off topic......... :crazy:

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Well, you're not called 'detour' for nothing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I've read all that stuff as well and do you know what? I don't know what happened as I wasn't there. All I know, as it's well documented, is that old Isabella was probably more fanatical and intolerant than your average Queen. However, her extremism simply replaced the previous extremism, ad infinitum.

It's on record up here (Extremadura) that the Reconquest (1200s here) was effected by the unconquered Christians in the north and the Portuguese who fought for land, titles and wealth. What else? Once peace was declared they got bored and started fighting each other for land, titles and wealth. What else? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spud
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spud » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:18 am

If you´re into ghost stories The Moorcroft Trilogy is good or The Catalytic Programme like a James Bond thriller or if you like a good laugh A Lucky Break all available from Amazon. I´ve read them all.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Just received an e-mail from the author of a book I read some years ago, it's his new novel set in 13c Mallorca. Might or might not be of interest, but you can read the first chapter for free to see if it's for you.
http://www.peter-kerr.co.uk/eight_winds.html
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Bluefish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Bluefish » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:41 pm

The Holy Bible KJV :thumbup:
There are three types of people; those who can count and those who can't

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:50 am

everybody seems to be reading 50 shades of Grey

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:42 am

costakid wrote:everybody seems to be reading 50 shades of Grey
My Spanish teacher, being Spanish downloads everything illegally, and she sent this to myself and two friends. I haven't even opened it, my wife has no desire to read it, one friend (female) read three chapters, said it was abysmal and gave up, and the other (male) gave up as well, saying it was a woman's book, not for him. But sex sells, anyone that tells you they bought it for any other reason is lying! :lol: :lol: Must be a female thing, my DIL has read all three.
Regards, Frank

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:36 pm

That sounds like one I could manage without :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 pm

50 People who buggered up Britian by Quentin Letts!

toffeeboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toffeeboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Hey there,
I have just released a book on kindle, soon to be available in paperback too. The name of the book is 'Bloody Hell, What's An Alpaca?' It is about our life here in Andalucia, why we decided to move here, and our decision to breed alpacas. Plus, of course then the shenanigans that ensue :)
Alan Parks
Author - Bloody Hell, What's An Alpaca? - An adventure in the Frying Pan of Spain

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Good luck with your book :thumbup:

This might be an appropriate time :wink: to mention that I have several children's books on Kindle, under my pen name Chris Carlisle :D :thumbup:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I'll jump on the bandwagon too :) My "Home Made Beauty Products" recipe book is free to download from Amazon on Tues & Weds. Reviews would be welcome :)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:43 pm

toffeeboy wrote:Hey there,
I have just released a book on kindle, soon to be available in paperback too. The name of the book is 'Bloody Hell, What's An Alpaca?' It is about our life here in Andalucia, why we decided to move here, and our decision to breed alpacas. Plus, of course then the shenanigans that ensue :)
Yes, seen it mentioned in "Molly in Granada". :)
Regards, Frank

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 pm

toffeeboy wrote:Hey there,
Yes read it last week.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Considering this as my next purchase. As yet only in hardback or kindle.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sentinel-Vengea ... rd_title_0
Regards, Frank

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:05 pm

A book about life in Andalucia, there's a thing, how novel 8)

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Oh Katy, give it a rest..... :crazy:

toffeeboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toffeeboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Hmmm, I take you point, but, if you look, I don't think you will find any other books out there featuring alpacas, or indeed our area of Spain. Having said that I think the book is pretty unique out there worldwide, not just Andalucia :think:
Alan Parks
Author - Bloody Hell, What's An Alpaca? - An adventure in the Frying Pan of Spain

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 pm

frank wrote:Considering this as my next purchase. As yet only in hardback or kindle.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sentinel-Vengea ... rd_title_0
If you do purchase it - let us know what you thought of it.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.