Shopping in UK o Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Shopping in UK o Spain

Postby katy » Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Thought the cartons of wine would come up...don't forget the ciggies :lol: Buy a decent wine and it is usually cheaper in the UK. eg. Faustino 1.

Also in the UK there are decent loyalty cards. I got around £150 spend on Sainsbury's last year and every few weeks they have an offer spend £50 and get 10p per litre off petrol. waitrose sends vouchers every quarter spend £40 and get £6 off for about 4 weeks.

I wonder if any of you would like to take my OH and train him in economy shopping :lol: He knows the value of nothing. One time he paid €4 for a small brown seeded loaf in Spain, wasn't memorable either. I sent him to the village shop last week as there was a special offer on Grants whiskey at £11, 3 bottles for the drinks store...he came back with 3 bottles of Teachers at £16.50 :evil: I call him the Happy shopper :mrgreen:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 12, 2013 9:35 pm

This in one where everyone is right and nobody's wrong. Even the adsl with Movistar isn't like for like because there are often download limits in the uk and most normal companies don't have any restrictions in Spain.
Add to that the fact the cost has dropped in the last couple of years.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun May 12, 2013 9:48 pm

I haven't been to the UK for 8 years now so all I can go on is from friends who come from devon & family from essex & the wife who is in the Uk. All say how cheap it is here , even though prices have increased , compared to the Uk where they all complain about the ever increasing prices.
My wife tells me that I won't be able to afford to drink coffee out when I unfortunately have to venture over there later in the year.
All I know is that €50/week in the uk, wouldn't cover the gas, electric, water, irrigation water, rubbish, 4 tonnes wood for log burners, rates, house insurance, car insurance (500) , car tax (175) , Itv, etc. All the bills basically except food & diesel.
So a few quid a week extra in food doesn't even compare, even if it was more expensive, which it isn't. As far as I'm concerned it is still far cheaper than the UK . If we could just drive the diesel price down to 60c again I'd be happier than I am now. :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 12, 2013 10:08 pm

markwilding wrote:This in one where everyone is right and nobody's wrong. Even the adsl with Movistar isn't like for like because there are often download limits in the uk and most normal companies don't have any restrictions in Spain.
Is that true?

surely far cheaper broadband in the UK. e.g. BT infinity up to 38meg down, 9.5mb up 40Gb allowance,£15 a month

3g is truly outrageous here in Spain.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Yes, once you get away from the wilds of Andalucia, costs drop and it's possible to find it cheaper. I pay around 40 euros with a guaranteed 25mgbs plus 9 euros for my mobile which includes Internet
Don't forget withthe BT offer you need to add landline 15 pounds and the restriction making it about 4 euros cheaper but I would happily pay the 4 euros extra to have unlimited Broadband

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun May 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi,
"Once you get away from the wilds of Andalucia"............that's the main point........would have to compare the wilds of UK...........in some places they have had to install their own system. :shock:
In UK I've cable so speeds and costs similar to Mark's.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun May 12, 2013 10:59 pm

markwilding wrote:This in one where everyone is right and nobody's wrong. Even the adsl with Movistar isn't like for like because there are often download limits in the uk and most normal companies don't have any restrictions in Spain.
Mark, act your age, lots of things in Spain might be cheaper, accept it, broadband isn't one of them. I pay £13.99 unlimited downloads, only 8mb but that's down to my exchange, includes 500 minutes free telephone calls which means I spend virtually nothing on calls. Give it up, move on, as the kids would say!
I told you they would all be queuing up to rubbish the report, and you're leading the charge. :thumbup:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 13, 2013 5:58 am

frank wrote:
Mark, act your age, lots of things in Spain might be cheaper, accept it, broadband isn't one of them. I pay £13.99 unlimited downloads, only 8mb but that's down to my exchange, includes 500 minutes free telephone calls which means I spend virtually nothing on calls. Give it up, move on, as the kids would say!
I told you they would all be queuing up to rubbish the report, and you're leading the charge. :thumbup:
Frank, Please don't be rude again or I'll make a complaint.You'd better take me seriously.

Why wouldn't we dispute the report if we find it flawed? I would suggest as opposed to posters on here who have given rational responses that it's you who is trying to rubbish our opinions.

The cost is this area has dropped dramatically over the last couple of years or so. I pay 21.50 euros for 25 mbs and the cheaper package for 10mbs is lower than you quote for yours. both tariffs include unlimited landline to landline calls in Spain.I would also assume your 13.99 doesn't not include line rental.My price plan is no offer price as I've passed the offer period a long time ago and anyone who reads my posts will know I have been championing Cable for over 2 years now because of the cost and fast speeds.

A quick look at Orange and Jazztel shows that there are also prices similar to ones you quote. The posters on here who complain about price and coverage on here are ones who don't have the necessary infrastructure in their area to get the best deals

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 am

markwilding wrote: Frank, Please don't be rude again or I'll make a complaint.You'd better take me seriously.
Be my guest! :thumbup:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 am

Have to agree with Mark. Frank's rudeness is becoming a tad boring. Usually this is because a poster is losing an argument. Maybe it's also an age thing.

Anyway ... I believe you have to take all costs into account. It's a bit mad to say "groceries are dearer" as you have to take all living expenses into account. Here my "council tax" + IBI is much less than it would be for a similar house in the UK. Electricity is of course dearer. My road tax is cheaper here - as is the car and house insurance. Calling in an electrician or plumber is much cheaper here. I have never been asked for a call-out charge.

Katy ... where could I get Faustino 1 for a decent price in the UK? I'm popping over there in August. I saw decent prices online ...
BUY 6 FOR £16.59 EACH. SAVE £12.00 !!

Price: £18.59 (inc. vat)
BUY 6 FOR £16.59 EACH. SAVE £12.00

Thanks
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 am

Mowser wrote:Have to agree with Mark. Frank's rudeness is becoming a tad boring. Usually this is because a poster is losing an argument. Maybe it's also an age thing.
I can't see what argument Franks losing. He's quite rightly saying broadband and telephone is cheaper in the UK :? ..........I pay a tenner for rapid BB, free UK landline calls and mainland Europe calls..........ie no charge to call Spain from a proper phone.............no Skype-ing or the likes needed. The only correct thing in this thread is that some things are cheaper in Spain and some things are more expensive.......only to be expected from two different countries :?

I also think your age comment is very rude :thumbdown:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 am

I also think your age comment is very rude
I know. That's why I posted it.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 am

Devils Advocate wrote:
Mowser wrote: I can't see what argument Franks losing. He's quite rightly saying broadband and telephone is cheaper in the UK :? ..........I pay a tenner for rapid BB, free UK landline calls and mainland Europe calls..........ie no charge to call Spain from a proper phone............
Are you paying a tenner all in or do you have to pay the landline as well.If so you aren't paying a tenner.
If not, you are correct and it's cheaper in the UK.However, My mother ALSO pays 10 pounds for ADSL and calls but the speed isn't what I would call fast, around, 3mbs. She also has to pay for the landline 14.99, thats 24.99 pounds, that's just over 30 euros. She's with TalkTalk
I pay 39 euros but for 25 mbs real, not up to and I think that compares well.I don't think anybody with Movistar, Orange, Jazztel or Cable has to pay for landline to landline calls and that has been the same for years.

DA, We don't always see eye to eye but we don't have to resort to rudeness.
In my book being calling someone childish is being rude.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 13, 2013 11:13 am

My only regular disagreement with mark is that he lives way outside the area covered by this forum, so is poorly qualified to comment. He does also tend to get upset if anyone does not accept what he posts as gospel.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 am

peteroldracer wrote:My only regular disagreement with mark is that he lives way outside the area covered by this forum, so is poorly qualified to comment. He does also tend to get upset if anyone does not accept what he posts as gospel.
Where does that put half the forum then?
However, the comparison was for Spain and I do live in Spain.
The last remark I will ignore

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon May 13, 2013 11:34 am

Mmmmmm was wondering when the slanging match would kick off.
Anyway back to topic. We still are amazed when we fill our trolly in the supermarkets in Spain as to what the final bill will be. We ussually shop in Asda or morrisons and to be fair we are both on decent wages in the uk. So maybe that's why we still find stuff cheap in Spain. Things may change if the Spanish government turn the same way as the uk are trying to do and charge a minimum unit price for alcohol to try to deter bing drinkers instead of trying to do something about it they just treat everyone the same even responsible drinkers. Another dodgy tax if you ask me. :) :)
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am

I have to agree with your last comment Mark, how many people do actually live in Andalucia on here??

I hardly ever post on here anymore as everything turns into a slanging match, quite sad really it must really put new people off from posting...

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 am

My only regular disagreement with mark is that he lives way outside the area covered by this forum
What's your point? Many posters here live in the UK and come to Andalucia for holiday. Are you suggesting that only residents of Andalucia are allowed to post?
Dave

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon May 13, 2013 12:11 pm

"My only regular disagreement with mark is that he lives way outside the area covered by this forum, so is poorly qualified to comment. "

I also live outside the area but did have a house in Coín for many years. What about young Frank and Katy with her 8000+ posts? They don't live in Spain, never mind Andalucia. Will you say they are 'poorly qualified to comment'? :lol: :lol: :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 pm

My point was that Bilbao is a very different place to, say, Antequera or Málaga, and prices, attitudes, employments and plenty of other things seem from Mark's posts over the years to be very different, understandably.
If a poster lived in, say, southern France (an equal distance mas o menos), I am sure I would not be alone in thinking "what does he know about it?" Posters who have spent many years living in Andalucia will have experienced much the same as those still here, or who visit frequently, and I am sure that Katy will readily acknowledge that her experiences of life in Marbella, with staff and life at the golf club, will have been very different to those who have chosen to live in isolated parts of the campo, or even in other large towns or cities in the region - even if some of the latter share the propensity of local politicians to wallow in a swamp of corruption. :wink:
In the same way I have been amazed by some of the tales of costs and choice in less-sensible areas of the UK, which have borne no relation to my experiences of life in West Yorkshire, where the folk seem to be able to sniff out a rip-off and simply say "I'm not paying that!"
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.