Shopping in UK o Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Shopping in UK o Spain

Postby fincalospinos » Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 pm

katy wrote:
A Spanish Agent said on the news yesterday they can't sell them even with 50% off. So has to be something outstanding about a property to sell at all.
I think it depends on the type of property.
I started looking just after Xmas for property, and earmarked about 15 properties. Went back to the list last week to arrange some viewings and over half of them have either been sold or are under offer.
Having checked with the agents as to the sort of discounts being given, it seems that around 10% is the norm.
Hardworking resident !!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu May 16, 2013 3:44 pm

There's a boom in sales up here. No idea why so many North Europeans are coming here but they are!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu May 16, 2013 3:52 pm

katy wrote: I think it depends on area too. Very split the UK. Hardly anything stays on the market over 3 weeks around here but it took a relative in the North 4 months to sell. First time buyers increased by 20% last month so that usually kick starts the market when people start moving up.
A Spanish Agent said on the news yesterday they can't sell them even with 50% off. So has to be something outstanding about a property to sell at all.
We put our house on the market, we were only interested in one of two new builds, both sold straight away, so we took ours off the market. New properties here are selling without any problem.
Watched Commando Actualidad recently, properties being snapped up by Algerians for €10k, a tenth of their original price!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Lavanda wrote:There's a boom in sales up here. No idea why so many North Europeans are coming here but they are!
Seen the same sort of posts on forums from all areas. Someone even said they couldn't get enough houses to sell in Torrevieja they were selling so fast :lol: :lol: Everyone I personally know says different. According to latest stats house sales are 12.6% down from last year (and those figures were dire too) and for February this year sales are down a massive 37.8%. The worst figures for 5 years :shock: These are figures from INE. According to the stats sales in Extremadura fell by a whopping 47.9%...some boom!

http://www.diariosur.es/rc/20130513/eco ... 30925.html

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Very strange situation here in the UK at present which hopefully may spread to Spain some time in the future........a sort of post bust/pre boom situation really.

OHs firm could have all but shut their convayencing dept. over the last few years, she kept the staff on at the expense of her own paypacket. However it is moving again and faster than she imagined this year, the money is coming in again. Only thing is most of the houses are at the cheaper end of the scale but it's a start.

Now after a terrible winter where we basically mothballed the place we've got for sale over there viewings have started to roll in now the spring is here..........but here's the catch.

People are seriously conditioned to the "it's a buyers market" theory and we've had 2 offers that just don't fire us up from supposed "cash buyers".

The other problem is people wanting to make an offer............which would land us in a massive chain with a string of unsold houses...........they want us to reduce ours but the chains houses are all top dollar as well.

Yep it's a pain, we are now paying full rates and utilities on this property and also having to insure an unoccupied house is seriously painfull on the wallet.........but the signs are deffo brighter this year.

We won't panic sell just yet and hope that what we are now seeing bears fruit..........the market certainly is moving again but may take a while to settle down back to something like normal.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu May 16, 2013 7:02 pm

katy wrote:
Lavanda wrote:There's a boom in sales up here. No idea why so many North Europeans are coming here but they are!
Seen the same sort of posts on forums from all areas. Someone even said they couldn't get enough houses to sell in Torrevieja they were selling so fast :lol: :lol: Everyone I personally know says different. According to latest stats house sales are 12.6% down from last year (and those figures were dire too) and for February this year sales are down a massive 37.8%. The worst figures for 5 years :shock: These are figures from INE. According to the stats sales in Extremadura fell by a whopping 47.9%...some boom!
http://www.diariosur.es/rc/20130513/eco ... 30925.html
Agree, I think we've heard similar many times before, houses selling like hot cakes and official figures telling a very different story. Think some of these people must be part-time estate agents. :) Get one quick before they are all gone! Can't get enough in Torrevieja, I thought they had many thousands there for sale, have they all been sold? :wink: Certainly with prices well down I'm sure there are investors looking to pick up cheap properties for rental, depends on how big a hit you can afford to take.
Regards, Frank

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 pm

frank wrote: Can't get enough in Torrevieja.
I would rather live in downtown Damascus! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Thu May 16, 2013 10:43 pm

peteroldracer wrote:
frank wrote: Can't get enough in Torrevieja.
I would rather live in downtown Damascus! :roll:

Come on, Damascus isn't that bad! :lol:

To be fair I believe it it much improved to what it was, I haven't been there for about 12 years. It used to be the Wild West though.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri May 17, 2013 8:46 am

I can't see the Spanish view of the second hand car market at all. Prices ,once over 3 years old, are down some 30-40% from what would have been asked before the crisis.
Todos somos Lorca.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Posted yesterday on another forum ;
" well we are back in the uk for our hols and to see family and friends for couple of months well I keep reading on here how expensive spain has become well back here in the uk I could not afford to live the prices are well just unbelievable for everything "
Todos somos Lorca.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat May 18, 2013 10:45 pm

gus-lopez wrote:I can't see the Spanish view of the second hand car market at all. Prices ,once over 3 years old, are down some 30-40% from what would have been asked before the crisis.
Yeh, what do they know? They are only Spanish, currently living in UK, what would they know about the comparative prices? They should listen to the immigrants, they seemingly know better.
Regards, Frank

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun May 19, 2013 9:04 am

frank wrote:
gus-lopez wrote:I can't see the Spanish view of the second hand car market at all. Prices ,once over 3 years old, are down some 30-40% from what would have been asked before the crisis.
Yeh, what do they know? They are only Spanish, currently living in UK, what would they know about the comparative prices? They should listen to the immigrants, they seemingly know better.

Yes they should , especially motor traders. Selling prices are now below the government changeover tax figure when they used to be 25-30% above. There's diffeent macro-economics in the CdS , Bit like Monaco different from France.

Another quote last night from Uk holidaymaker !

" pint of beer, pint of lager & bottle of cider, £11" !! :lolno:
Todos somos Lorca.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Back to shopping. A somewhat interesting website is http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ra ... ountry.jsp

It gives prices etc as a comparison to New York City. According to this a basket of groceries in the UK is roughly 93.06% of the New York prices.
Spain's is 66.55%

Figures as at 2013. It's probably wrong though. :lol:
Dave

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Only to some! :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 19, 2013 1:27 pm

gus-lopez wrote:
frank wrote:
Another quote last night from Uk holidaymaker !

" pint of beer, pint of lager & bottle of cider, £11" !!
:lolno:

...and? A holidaymaker complained of paying €13.50 for sunbeds and a parasol in Mallorca, another of a small beer costing €5 in Banus....what does it prove...nothing :roll:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:43 pm

At £11 for a pnt and a cider the holiday maker over in UK should drink in Wetherspoons - a shed load cheaper! :lol: (Jjeez didn't pay that much in London!) :crazy:
I can spell but I can't type

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm

katy wrote:
...and? A holidaymaker complained of paying €13.50 for sunbeds and a parasol in Mallorca, another of a small beer costing €5 in Banus....what does it prove...nothing :roll:
& £2 would be too much for me !
Todos somos Lorca.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 19, 2013 9:00 pm

frank wrote:
Frank what's your point?
Obviously, prices have risen and there's the exchange rate, about 10 percent different from last year.
Why can't you just accept that you are not the only authority on Spain and many of us are living your hobby?

I repeat that nobody has said that prices haven't risen but have disputed the findings in the report with personal experience.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun May 19, 2013 10:14 pm

markwilding wrote:
frank wrote:
Frank what's your point?
Obviously, prices have risen and there's the exchange rate, about 10 percent different from last year.
Why can't you just accept that you are not the only authority on Spain and many of us are living your hobby?

I repeat that nobody has said that prices haven't risen but have disputed the findings in the report with personal experience.
I'll try and keep this simple for you, the post you have quoted refers solely to the price of second hand cars in Spain as told by some Spanish people. According to them, they are very expensive, their opinion, not mine! GL, not surprisingly, disagreed and told us prices have dropped 30-40%, :? hence my comment, I'd rather believe the informed Spanish opinion than some biased expat. Feel free to witter on about something that had nothing to do with the post in question if you like, but you'll be waisting your time.
Regards, Frank

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm

No
What you prefer is anyone's opinion apart from people who live in Spain even if it's third party hearsay.
It doesn't matter what was being posted.I was referring to your smarmy jibe at the end of your post
Last edited by markwilding on Mon May 20, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.