wind farms

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: wind farms

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:33 pm

And there you have the reasons why there is so much time and money is being invested because at the moment there isn't any long term low cost solution that suits everybody.........yet.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Unfortunately there is no such thing as low cost power generation, anywhere. All solutions have problems either at the beginning, during or the end of their life.
My preference is nuclear. My daughter in law is station director at one of the UK's biggest nuclear power stations. I have visited all the stations that she has worked at and the professionalism of all her staff, which is very evident, means I would be quite happy to live next door to one.
I once got to stand below the main operational reactor at Torness; an amazing experience.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:30 pm

ajtg1952 wrote: I once got to stand below the main operational reactor at Torness; an amazing experience.
Is that why you give off a greenish glow in the dark? :lolno:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:35 pm

:lol: Nice one, Gerry. The other side of the discussion is never popular but why don't we all just consume a bit less? It seems common sense to me but I'm always put down as a Luddite. Far from it. Just look at any major city at night - all the empty office blocks fully illuminated 'for the cleaners' but it's just a conspicuous show of 'wealth' which I class as a wasteful and selfish use of resources. We do not HAVE to 'consume'. We can pull back. I'm just waiting for the first collapse of whole residential areas due to 'fracking', or, worse yet, contamination of the water table ...

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Please don't raise the subject of fracking. As a Civil Engineering Geologist I detest fracking. It is a badly understood science and extremely dangerous!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Couldn't agree more - and I'm no scientist.

As always the blogs are the most interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... posed.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/enviro ... wrong.html

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi Lavanda,
Please use the URL tab when posting long URL's
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Fracking seems ok. to me. You can find anything on the internet to prove or disprove it. America has been doing it for decades. As long as it isn't in my back yard :wink: :)

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economis ... xplains-13

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 am

Thanks Enrique. Your patience is limitless as you tell me that every time I post a link. I've looked for something - anything - called URRL on both the page I copy from and the page I paste on. I have no idea where it is or how to use it. :?

Katy, agreed, not under my house either!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am

Lavanda wrote: I've looked for something - anything - called URRL on both the page I copy from and the page I paste on. I have no idea where it is or how to use it. :
It's URL,notURRL,when you post a reply it's on the toolbar inbetween the box saying "Img" & the box for font size that has "Normal" written in it.
Hope this helps

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am

Ok URL Tab can be found in the Posting Box.

Put your long URL in-between the two URL's

Use it for all links you post.............

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:30 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic[url][/url]

This is a test to see if the URL thingy works for me and you ...

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi Lavanda,
You put the link in between the [/url ]...............[url] your link

Sorry I'm not getting it over the net............... :(

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Lavanda said..

"Just seen your post, ajgt. How expensive are they to build? Only three made because they are difficult to build? What would be your answer to 16 million people all wanting a cup of tea at once?"

Half of them could have coffee !

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:01 pm

I guess now that energy prices are going through the roof, wind farms will be back in the news.

Why we do not switch to nuclear 100% and stop this other nonsense beats me !

anyroads

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:00 pm

[quote="anyroads"

Why we do not switch to nuclear 100% and stop this other nonsense beats me !

anyroads[/quote]
JAPAN!!!!!

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:27 pm

anyroads wrote:Why we do not switch to nuclear 100% and stop this other nonsense beats me !
'cos greenies can vote!
Though given the "typical" :D spanish practice of just chucking their rubbish all over the countryside, I'm quite glad there isn't a source of radioactive waste anywhere near me. :idea:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:55 am

Wind farms won't stop the price rise of energy. In fact, nothing will stop the price rise. Energy companies are in business to make money first and foremost. Providing energy is a by-product of that business. 'Greenies' (and I used to be one) are silly people who don't understand things like the carbon footprint of a bag of cement, the amount of cement needed to anchor a wind turbine, the resources needed to make, erect and, later, dismantle the thing and logistics like that. They just think 'the wind's free, innit'? Er ... at the point of manufacture, yes, after that, no.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:50 pm

& while the 'developed' world wails & gnashes over how to produce energy cleanly & at cheapest cost , you have the ' third- world' Chinese opening a new coal-fired power station every 6 days !
There is no hope.
Todos somos Lorca.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 pm

There is some very strange stuff going on.

Labour endorsed a ruinous green tax on energy. Conservatives have done nothing about it. Renewables have had ridiculous subsidies (paid mostly to none British firms). i was quite supportive of Wind farms a few years ago but realise that they are white elephants now. No wind or a sudden drop you switch on gas stations that have to be on 24 hour standby 365 days a year. meanwhile Britain is closing perfectly serviceable and efficient coal powered stations. Why? They are not at the end of their working life, no rather the governemnt is exceeding its own self imposed high carbon limit. More economics of the madhouse.

Are there any power stations coming on line to replace them. Maybe but built with Chinese money . Only a small investment first but then a large investment. Great hand the utilities to any foreign country. As Osborne trumpeted that leaves us free to spend the money on more schools and hospitals.

I haven't the figure for Spain but a KW of energy costs French users 8p, UK users between 12 and 14p and German users 21p . On current trends the UK will be 21p quite soon. The French may be in the clag at a later date with immense decommisioning costs.

Is anyone old enough to remember when Britain opened its first nuclear power station it was trumpeted that energy would be so cheap that bills would be dispensed with? Mind you we were also told that computers would do so much of the work we had to accept that a 3 or 4 day week would be the norm.