Idea's please

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.

Are you religious?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:06 pm

yes
17%
no
83%

Total votes: 18

David the painter

Idea's please

Postby David the painter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi All..

Bit of brainstorming please.. As of Sunday 20th of March it will be Semana Santa here in Sevilla. Now as much I believe each to their own, I really do not want to stay in Sevilla for that week. It's hideous. Crowds of people watching people walking at 2 miles per hour with a big effigy of some religious something or other. Why people want to come and watch this is beyod me.. but hey. Didn't I say each to their own.. yes... now what did I want... oh yes.

I would like some suggestions for trips away that week. A couple of years ago I went to Portugal. Lat year I made the mistake of staying in the city. I couldn't get to work... I couldn't drink!! ok.. sorry... deep breath.

So, as I am still in my first year of business here in Spain, I am looking for idea's on a budget. I don't mind flying to anywhere on the planet. I'd even consider off the planet, but maybe that would crash the budget somewhat. Anyway, you get the idea...

So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Dave In Sevilla

PS I have played with the poll thing. Not sure if I managed to get it working though... humpf
Do or do not... there is no try

Yoda

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:10 pm

Shame you dont like it, its a great spectacle/ experience. Its the same in most cities in Spain, especially in the South.
You could rent your house out for the week to American tourists and try Madrid or Barcelona, they dont go in for it much, they are too 'sophisticated'.
Or try a non Catholic or a Muslim country - you will be safe there.

accommodation-in-spain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby accommodation-in-spain » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:19 pm

How about just popping to the coast for the week? I am not positive but I don't think (especially La Barrosa) celebrate these events in such a huge way, Sevilla is renowned for its big celebrations. If you need help with accommodation just pm me.

Cheers
Zoe

Semana Santa Seville

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:51 pm

As you are near the coast in Seville why not head for El Puerto de Santa Maria, the town is buzzing in Easter week as many tourists come from Madrid and Barcelona. If you take the autopista from Seville direction cadiz it should only take about 1hr15 minutes and you will find yourself in another world!!!!

You will get the usual procession but it is nowhere as morbid as Seville and normally the beaches are full of people and the night life is great too, if you need accomodation send me e mail as I rent out apartments on the beach in Puerto Sherry.
Happy Easter!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:56 pm

David I agree, they are weird, like the klu klux klan. Saw them once and it was enough. Don't know where you would get away to though, even all the coastal towns have them, perhaps Morocco?

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:08 pm

I think you'll find the ki klux clan based their "costumes" on the semana santa type clothing as seen in the processions

David the painter

Fantastic

Postby David the painter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks everyone.. some good suggestions. I'll defer decision until all idea's are in.

I have actually seen some people here in Sevilla who come especially because it is very KKK. Very strange, and a bit dated!!

I do appreciate that they have these things.. I choose to live here, but I have seen it... I did appreciate it in a 'ok, it's what they do' kind of way but I just can't see why after 10 seconds it's still fun to watch? And the music... blahhh.

Anyway.. interesting stats on the religion thing.. without going into a deep debate.. lets leave that one.

At the moment, Morroco is favourite.

Keep them coming though.. and thanks again.

Dave in Sevilla
Do or do not... there is no try

Yoda

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:11 pm

Personally, I would love to spend the week in Sevilla during Semana Santa because I have never experienced it. However, after a week of it, I might feel a bit like you about it! :D We were there once before for a week and there were some big religious parades on, and I must admit it does get pretty crowded. As a keen amateur photographer, Semana Santa must present some glorious opportunities for photography, the same as Jerez Horse Fair, another event I would like to see. We have also been in the area when the Motorcycle GP is on, and that does absolutely nothing for me, but millions love it!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:05 pm

Yes, your best bet is Tangiers, Morocco.

We tried to get away from our village last year during those weeks, we thought heading for the coast was a good option only to find hotels were booked-up or closed, the ones that did have vacancies were expensive.

Believe it or not even the Spanish like to get away from the major cities during these weeks, so they head for the coast.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:24 pm

I am not religious but I think the processions are very moving. It isnt compulsory to stay out in the street for hours, the bars are usually heaving with people (so don´t understand why you say you can´t drink!!!) so you watch as much of the procession as you would like then move on to your local. As for work, take the week off like everyone else does!! There are lots of Spanish people who may be working in Madrid or Barcelona or wherever but they choose to go back home to their villages during Semana Santa to take part in the tradition of carrying their "Christ or Virgin" as they obviously feel an affinity and are members of the brotherhood where they grew up, I personally think it is a great gesture but that is only my opinion- :D
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

brynic
Tourist

Postby brynic » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:19 pm

Dave
come and stop in a rural community no parades here except on tv close to the coast and lakes yet easy enough to get away before the parades start need to mail me for other info