Grand designs revisited tonight

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
swerve
Resident

Grand designs revisited tonight

Postby swerve » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Where in andalucia was this house built. Anyone
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

barry
Resident

Re: Grand designs revisited tonight

Postby barry » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:33 am

Up a hill near you!

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 am

sorry i don't know, i had to go out and only seen beginning and wonder how the whole thing worked especially all the glass.....

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:20 am

Was it a revisited episode or just another repeat?
The house is near Moclinejo.
Shortly after moving in Gil contracted an infection and died. He didn't have much time in his new house.
Hilary has stayed there.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:11 am

It was a repeat with a catchup bit at the end - he went back May 2013.

I still think it is funny that they allowed a vast house (the roof was an area of 5000m2) to be built in the campo then made a huge fuss because they wanted to paint parts of it different colours. In fact, I quite liked the colours as it broke it up a bit. Not sure how they got the permission - perhaps based on the amount of land?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 am

Hmmm, I had to sit through that last night as it was one of those "we never spend any time together" sort of evenings........I'll be in the garage tonight though :mrgreen:

I was miffed the way they seemed to simply sneer at the locals wanting them to paint the house in the traditional white. It wasn't as though they just wanted to paint it beige or sand or even yellow..........it had to be a blue/grey/green mixto and does look unsightly.................ah well each to their own.

I do wonder if the 850k price tag is realistic too when it comes up for sale shortly..........have you seen what 850k could buy you in that area............add a couple of grand and you could buy the whole of Rincon :wink:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:37 pm

I was surprised that the lady thought she was only going too loose 150k from the value of 1 million. I hope it stops fine for her. With all that glass it must be like living in a greenhouse. Lol
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:19 pm

swerve wrote: With all that glass it must be like living in a greenhouse. Lol
Just watched the program on 4OD.
The program didn't show all the house, it is not all glass walled.
The lounge, which is the part most shown, has an wall almost entirely out of glass, but the overhang does give it shade from direct sunlight.
The other rooms are much more private.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm

They said the plot was 8 acres, which, I think, is over 30,000 sqm, so presumably they had a fair amount of leeway as to size.
I think she was brave to stay here on her own, after all they hadn't lived here that long when he died. The house isn't to my taste, but I think the garden had developed beautifully.
AlisonB

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:29 pm

For those who missed it (and can get Ch 4 :wink: ), it is repeated tonight at 8 pm UK time
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 am

I can't believe anyone hasn't seen it at least 8 times! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:58 am

I hadn't seen it before and it did have an update :) Did I hear right that she didn't drive :o How does she manage up there!....and will it be legal :?

I thought it was a bit staged when it showed her "Spanish friends" , a few elderly matrons, it seemed very strange.

Some of those terraces looked a bit dangerous with a sheer drop. Quite liked the house but wouldn't want to live in it, I am a traditionalist :mrgreen:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:38 am

Hi,
Did I miss how they heated the place in winter........... :?:
Her Spanish friends where in her age group so would expect that.
My only surprise ....they got planning permission for the build....guessing things were easier back then.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:52 pm

katy wrote:I hadn't seen it before and it did have an update :) Did I hear right that she didn't drive :o How does she manage up there!....and will it be legal :?
Some of those terraces looked a bit dangerous with a sheer drop. Quite liked the house but wouldn't want to live in it, I am a traditionalist :mrgreen:
I think she said that when her husband was alive he tended to do the driving, but she did say at the end that she will have to consider moving when she stops driving so it seems that she does.

As far as I could see the bedroom was not joined to the rest of the house with an internal corridor. I knew of a house like that and it wasn't much fun for the owners on a wet night having to go out in their wellies and umbrella to go to bed :thumbdown: Despite the overall size of it the individual rooms seemed to be quite modest.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:49 pm

katy wrote:I hadn't seen it before and it did have an update :) Did I hear right that she didn't drive :o How does she manage up there!....and will it be legal :?

I thought it was a bit staged when it showed her "Spanish friends" , a few elderly matrons, it seemed very strange.

Hilary does drive, the house is completely legal, the "Spanish friends" bit was staged, she has many friends, both English and Spanish.
Don't forget this was a programme made for TV and they like to "sensationalise" certain things.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Hi Gerry

Saw this house , 30 Minutess from Malaga, on a UK Grand Designs Program on More 4 TV last night. What a humongous project it was. Sorry to hear Gil Briffa, the Architect died 2 years after the House was completed leaving Hillary ,his wife to look after it herself. I read online that it cost them only £35,000.00 to build i between 2003 and 2008. I see it was on the market for £850,000.00 in March 2016. Do you know if was ever sold and for how much. Who would ever buy such a monstrosity of a House. I believe it only had 3 Bedrooms and a guest suite.

Thank You

David

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed May 20, 2020 6:24 pm

It was Gil and Hilary's son who designed it.
Hilary is still happily living there.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris