solar panels

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
carrowcrin
Resident

solar panels

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 am

when I go on my Spanish trips I see these solar panels and they have something that is the shape of a steel barrel at the high side of the solar panel unit which I am assuming is the water reservoir....
my question is does the solar heating panel work by natural rising gravity or if there is a pump for this purpose?
I am assuming someone on the forum will understand what I am on about....

many thanks

eazbak
Resident

Re: solar panels

Postby eazbak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:40 am

It is either by pump if the water is being stored in a tank lower than the "steel barrel" ,or by the water pressure from the mains water system , unfortunately I don´t think anyone has invented natural rising gravity here on earth yet,maybe I´ll have a go this afternoon if I have a hour or two free.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 am

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:59 am

If the tank is higher than the panel, the water is self circulating by a natural action called Thermo Syphon. ie. Hot water rises, cold water sinks. so it self circulates. Otherwise a circulating pump is incorporated similar to a central heating system pump.
Total self sufficiency can be achieved by using a low voltage pump powered by a Solar Panel. If the sun doesn't shine you aren't making hot water anyway! :)

PS
Ooops...Quebin gave you an answer while I was typing.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:17 am

The next question is...........

Has anyone had one fitted, what type and perhaps the most important bit.........did it work????

Ray
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:33 am

eazbak wrote:It is either by pump if the water is being stored in a tank lower than the "steel barrel" ,or by the water pressure from the mains water system , unfortunately I don´t think anyone has invented natural rising gravity here on earth yet,maybe I´ll have a go this afternoon if I have a hour or two free.

the comparasion I am making with rising gravity is say...
with solid fuel stove there is a hot water boiler attached plumbed with top and bottom pipes... when boiler water is heated it automatically rises and therefore the bottom pipe automatically replaces same... this can then be plumbed to a hot water storage facility...
my question was if solar can be delivered in this way?

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:40 am

Not sure exactly what you mean,but it is normally the water pressure from the mains than makes the water go "upwards"..not by gravity,nor because hot water rises.If you put boiling water into a coffee cup it will not rise.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Sorry eazbak, you are not correct there. Hot water does rise and cold water does fall. All "Back Boiler" hot water systems work on that principal, 'praps you're not old enough to remember them but ours in Ripon when I was young could actually boil the water in the tank...what a racket!

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 pm

I'll take your word for it country boy,but in my hot water solar system the water will not rise up into the tank avove the solar panel without the mains water pressure pushing it up,or a water pump to push it up,maybe gravity these days is not of the same quality as the gravity in the good old days!! Probably a cheap "made in china" gravity nowadays!

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:20 pm

we slightly went off track but you obviously have the unit I speak of and it does not work on "gravity" which was my original query..... i'm sure if it was designed by me or country boy you would not need a pump..... it would have to be designed in a specific fashion for it to do as I say.

regards

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Do a search on YouTube for solar hot water thermosiphon and there are loads of videos showing it In action. We use a black bin with a lid on from say may to October whilst in Spain and can get water temps around 60c no problem.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:37 pm

eazbak wrote: I don´t think anyone has invented natural rising gravity here on earth yet,maybe I´ll have a go this afternoon if I have a hour or two free.
:lol: :thumbup: :lol:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:30 am

Totally gravity, Water in the tubes heats, rises, and is replaced by the colder water from the tank

The small solar panel is just to power a Raspberry Pi which runs the Security Camera just to the left, which keeps an eye on everything :)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:38 am

Our barrel tank is above the panel. No idea what happens when but it works and has done for the last seven years. Cold water goes in, hot water comes out. Maintenance once a year when the plumber comes to put some liquid in some pipe. We wash the panel regularly to get rid of dust and things to keep the panel at optimum efficiency. That's it.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:31 am

Density of water changes with temperature, water's density weigh 1Kg/m3 at 4 degree C but reduces to 0.972 Kg/m3 at 80 degree C which explains "hot water rises". I think a small circulating pump should be used to assit this "natural flow" for better effect in similar way a small fan is used to blow the hot air above the wood burner.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Has anyone got an idea of cost of these set ups?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.