Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Yes, of course you get the sun, but when you are working that can be a real downside.

Sid

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:49 pm

You are right to be concerned with them searching for work as there is so little on the Costa compared to the UK but I guess all we can do is wish them good luck as they will be on their way this week. It would be nice to hear a happy outcome so keep us posted please :thumbup:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Scot

I will do, I will come back in a couple of months and let everyone know how they are getting on.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 pm

True story going back a few years. A friend of mine was hell bent on moving to Benalmadena to buy a bar, at the time "currently closed due to ill health" there were no trading figures available for previous years and very little stock.
On doing a little local research he was told "you're not buying anything on "suicide mile are you ?"
He didn't .

deb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby deb » Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 am

On a more positive note, my husband and I moved to Torrox seven years ago. We sold our house in the uk and bought here. My husband had run a successful buisness in the uk and the intention was to carry on doing the same work here. We knew it would be hard so had money to fall back on. From the first month of being here my husband was working every day. Now he is so busy he usually has to work 6 days a week. He gets work from, Brits, swedish, norwegions, and germans. We also know quite a few builders in the area who have to turn work down as they are to busy. The only downside to this is that it was my husbands intention to only work 3 days a week not 6.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 pm

I think 7 years ago is probably a bit different to now,you've had some good times to build yourself up.
Why not offer JWhites daughter's partner a job?
He sounds willing to have a crack at anything.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Deb - just curious what line of business your husband is in?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Nimrod wrote:I think 7 years ago is probably a bit different to now,you've had some good times to build yourself up.
Why not offer JWhites daughter's partner a job?
He sounds willing to have a crack at anything.
Good idea seeing as he only wanted to work 3 days a week, why not give someone else a chance :think:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 pm

I believe Deb's husband has a air conditioning business.
This business, and car repairs, are popular and possibly profitable, with the expat community.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

deb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby deb » Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 am

Yes it is airconditioning and refrigeration. I actually made a mistake with my last post and it is 6 years not 7 that we have been here. So yes the recession had just started.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 10, 2014 11:22 am

gerryh wrote:I believe Deb's husband has a air conditioning business.
This business, and car repairs, are popular and possibly profitable, with the expat community.
Cheers
Gerry
Funnily enough the guy that does my a/c has never been busier,it's due to the Spanish buying repossessions and getting the a/c working.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 pm

The jobs situation for expats in Nerja may not be as desperate as we think - I've been there today and seen advertisements in windows seeking an English speaking waitress for a long established restaurant (the advert has been there since Tuesday at least, because I saw it then too) and an English speaking assistant for a ladies' fashion shop. There was an office job for a Spanish speaker in an insurance company office advertised in their window as well.

This surprised me as I wouldn't have thought businesses would be having to advertise, even by putting a sign in the window, at this time as I imagined they'd be inundated by people calling in and asking about work and leaving their CVs.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Very few young people will have a CV of any use, as they will have had no work experience.?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat May 10, 2014 5:49 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Very few young people will have a CV of any use, as they will have had no work experience.?
But people who have moved out from the UK may well have had some sort of retail or customer service related work experience, hence why I said that the jobs situation for expats in the area the OP was asking about might not be quite so bad as we (me included) thought. The pay and conditions on offer, of course, might be rubbish, I've no idea.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue May 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Well my daughter and her partner will find out soon enough, they are half way to Spain at the moment. I hope it is as the previous poster stated and that there are jobs to be had for their sake. My daughter has had customer service experience in shops so may be in with a chance for some part time work perhaps.

I will however keep you all posted on their progress ! :wink:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 13, 2014 7:28 pm

I wouldn't be too hopeful. Recently IKEA opened a new store in Spain and advertised for 400 jobs.

They had 100000 applicants who almost all probably were fluent in Spanish.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/s ... -1.1570930

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Saw in El Pais that 4 million unemployed receive no benefits at all. Seeing as there are around 35% unemployed in Andalucia it beggars belief that jobs are advertised in windows, perhaps they are not all they seemed. Or Perhaps there are not any Spaniards in the area that are capable of speaking the required amount of English. :?

http://economia.elpais.com/economia/201 ... 47492.html

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed May 14, 2014 8:02 am

katy wrote:Saw in El Pais that 4 million unemployed receive no benefits at all. Seeing as there are around 35% unemployed in Andalucia it beggars belief that jobs are advertised in windows, perhaps they are not all they seemed. Or Perhaps there are not any Spaniards in the area that are capable of speaking the required amount of English. :?

http://economia.elpais.com/economia/201 ... 47492.html
As I said, it surprises me too to see job adverts in windows at a time like this, and they're by no means plentiful, but I do see them occasionally (maybe people who are walking around rather than driving everywhere notice them more!). A couple of weeks earlier Vintash in Torre del Mar were advertising for a waiter/waitress in their window as well, and the last time I was in Malaga capital in March I saw a couple then too (no requirement for English stipulated, although I'm sure it would have been a big advantage). The ones in Nerja were for Scarletta's restaurant and one of the Cascade fashion shops, btw.

If they were daft adverts for things that are obviously commission only sales jobs or even scams - the ones that say things like "do you want to earn xxxx for working at home", I wouldn't take any notice, but the others appear to be genuine jobs, although undoubtedly seasonal and poorly paid.

For the past couple of months, Sur in Engish has been carrying a few more jobs as well other than the usual telesales/property sales stuff - for chefs, waiters, bar staff etc., but they are all for areas West of Malaga. Again, not jobs which would enable people to support a family, but more adverts than I've seen for the last few years. Still nowhere near as many as there would have been pre-recession, of course.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 14, 2014 10:41 am

Perhaps the 50%+ under 25s employed are like UK kids and prefer to rely on benefits and the bank of Mum and Dad :D

Chefs in Marbella are quite well paid. Our friends pay their Chef more than the Managers.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed May 14, 2014 11:26 am

katy wrote:Perhaps the 50%+ under 25s employed are like UK kids and prefer to rely on benefits and the bank of Mum and Dad :D
There could well be some of that attitude about (although I didn't think they got any benefits?). I've recently started meeting up with a Spanish woman who's divorced and has two daughters, to help her practice her English. The elder daughter is 20 and is driving her mad because she won't make any effort to look for a job. Parents in general seem to be far too indulgent, IMO. :)

Incidentally, there are definitely still some expats working on the CDS. Yesterday I paid my first ever visit to the Iceland shop in Fuengirola as a friend was driving there and asked me to go along. Apart from the staff in Iceland, we were having coffee at a cafe nearby and there were dozens of Brits coming out of the De Vere Communications Centre in the Myramar complex for their coffee and cigarette breaks. Had no idea what it was so I looked it up when I got home.

https://www.devere-group.com/news/deVer ... Spain.aspx

I wouldn't fancy that kind of work myself, but I suppose it's a job of sorts.

The whole experience was quite surreal, I felt as though I'd been teleported back to some out of town UK retail park - particularly as it was quite a grey and cloudy day yesterday. :D