Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Postby anyroads » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:33 pm

I wish them well of course and hope everything works out.

anyroads

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks, appreciated. :wink:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the update - I don't log on here often but was curious how your daughter was getting on. Slightly off topic but I went to Glasgow recently to visit my family. They are constantly telling me there is no work up there and that all the "foreigners" have taken the work from them. There were signs in shop windows everywhere - large retail stores e.g. Primark, KFC etc all recruiting!! I guess the work is too hard, poorly paid, weekend and late nights - I guess they are all waiting for a short, kind working day and fantastic hourly rate to match their (non existent) skills :twisted:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Many of the jobs advertised are only part time or zero hr contracts and people won't take them because they will lose benefits most of the time. My granddaughter has just been offered a 12 hr contract only in a shop. As it happens she is having to live with her partner's parents so will not lose benefits but many would not take it as if they are already doing a part time job it takes them over the magic 16 hr threshold which stops their benefits. Only single people living at home are really in a position to take part time work. So they want either full time or 16 hrs to make it worth their while and continue to receive their top-up benefits, housing benefit etc. Of course ALL this work is minimum wages, you never get offered more these days, everyone is after work so it is an employer's paradise. :roll:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:37 pm

I have just accepted a job locally in retail at 16 hours so hope I don't lose out as my OH works full time. I think if you take a job, albeit part time or zero hours contract, you can progress within the company? I was just happy to see all those job adverts tbh as my family lead me to believe there is no chance of work in Scotland!

Sorry for going off topic a little.

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14 am

[quote="El Cid"]The whole top floor in El Ingenio is now closed through lack of business - OK most were restaurants but it's indicative of the retail problem.

Does that include the Chinese and the "Happy hour" pasta and pizza place ?, hope not as always enjoy Spag Bol when visiting Dunnes or Lidle (Dont do Eroski any more as its got too pricey )
kerbut

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:22 am

The pasta place is apparently trading somewhere in the Centre, but all the rest are still shut, with the usual "coming soon" billboards blocking off the upper restaurant area. "Soon" is an interesting word in Spanish... :wink:
Never mind though, the refurbished Tizo's is open (next to Worten) and well worth trying (although can be noisy with families).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:30 am

kerbut wrote: (Dont do Eroski any more as its got too pricey )
There are rumours that things aren't going well for them and will be closing down many shops, especially in areas where they have supermarkets close to each other.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:37 am

Eroski has been trying to sell its operation in Andalucia, but have been sticking out for a price no-one is willing to pay.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:40 am

Although we only get to Spain about 3 times a year I have noticed the restaurants in the shopping centre slowly leaving , First Texmex ,then Pans and co then Hollywood Grill.
kerbut

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:35 pm

[quote="peteroldracer"] "Soon" is an interesting word in Spanish... :wink: [quote]

sorry, off topic I know, but peter's comment reminded me of a sign on the Ronda norte in Antequera - "Desvio Temporal" - the diversion has been there for at least 10 years to my certain knowledge :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Anyone know where my daughter's partner could get some speakers for his disco equipment? Apparently he has been trying everywhere and can't get any :shock: I suggested the free papers may have adverts in them but they said they don't see any free papers where they are. Anyone know if there are any in Nerja area ? I know on the Costa Blanca they had the free papers in the newsagents.

Also they said they can't seem to get any decent English tea bags over there and suggested I bring some over when we go in August. My daughter drinks coffee but her partner likes his tea. Apparently they said that even though they shop in Aldi the same as in the UK, the Aldi's there don't seem to have the same food supplies and the only place they can buy English Tea bags is an "Arkwright's" type shop where they cost 2.50 euros for a tiny packet. Also my daughter suggested I bring gravy granules as she said they don't have them either. I am not that bothered but hubby likes his spuds with gravy on. Do they have something like Oxo cubes over there which can be used with Cornflour (which is what I used years ago :lol: ).

Any suggestions folks ? :wink:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:11 pm

do they ever go to Fuengirola?
A good Iceland store there where you can get all your Brit stuff and it's fairly priced.
Also a Dunnes Stores there but a much smaller selection.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:14 pm

The availability of tea bags and gravy is hardly relevant to the chances of work on the Costa del Sol.

Perhaps you should start a new thread on the subject and I am sure you will get plenty of input - but not on this thread please.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Perhaps there's a chance for a job in Nerja, selling Tea bags and gravy to the brits?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 pm

If I may a small comment, if their searches for the mentioned products are an indication of their job searching talent then they don't stand a snowball's chance on Burriana. :crazy:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Lyric
I think you have summed it up very well. I have been wondering if this whole post wasn't a big wind up.
Cheers
Gerry

PS Sorry Sid
Gerry Harris

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:56 pm

No its not a wind up and no it has no bearing on their job seeking skills, her partner would have probably told her not to bother to ask. I was quite serious, she rang me tonight and mentioned it purely as we are visiting. She doesn't drink tea for a start and was more worried I wouldn't be able to get my early morning cuppa ! Same for the gravy granules, I only mentioned it because I knew many on here are expats who no doubt for some, they still like their English versions of some foods.

Obviously it was slightly off thread but I didn't know that was a crime as many seem to do it on here :roll: i.e. Beachcomber with his little joke which was off thread but I thought funny. No-one accused him of being off thread ???

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Lyric, would say that they have only been there a month and are "collecting equipment" for their first job. Doesn't sound to me like they lack in job search abilities, especially as he owned 2 factories and has run 3 small businesses in the UK for over 20 yrs through 2 recessions, run two franchise shops in the UK and had various other jobs in between including private investigator and debt collector. Does it sound like he has no job search abilities ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 pm

JWhite wrote:
Obviously it was slightly off thread but I didn't know that was a crime as many seem to do it on here :roll: i.e. Beachcomber with his little joke which was off thread but I thought funny. No-one accused him of being off thread ???

One little off topic post is not a problem, but to go off topic about tea bags and Oxo cubes will just generate a whole load of posts about the various options to find such products which will dilute an otherwise useful and interesting thread.

So, back on topic please.

Sid