Benefit Cheats Living the High Life !

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
JWhite
Resident

Re: Benefit Cheats Living the High Life !

Postby JWhite » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:48 am

"& that has some "legal" status in Spain ? I don't think so. They'll just tell them to .... off."

Gus, I thought we were in the EU? I think you will find that enforcement of laws DO cross borders in the EU, or at least this is the rubbish they feed us to keep us in, that it benefits us because criminality is dealt with across borders ! :lolno:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 pm

:lol: Some laws don't even cross autonomous region borders, never mind national ones! :lol:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:12 pm

So as usual the EU is a one way street and churns out a bunch of lies, much like our national governments then ? Sounds about right :yawn: :lol: Another good reason to get out ! :lol: :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Could be but not every country is as fanatical about following every rule to the nth power of "Yes. We will obey. At once!" as the UK seems to be. Don't ask me why but the UK, while seeming to be luke-warm about the EU is its most devoted slave. Weird or what?

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:52 am

Without getting into the discussion re whether these people are cheats in the first place or not - can anyone update my ignorance on the subject UK incapacity Benefit?
1. Must this be declared on the UK Income Tax return form? and
2. If they live in Spain on the renta declaration each year?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:06 am

If they live in the UK I suppose it's declared in the UK. If they live in Spain, they declare in Spain. They can't live in both places at once BUT I don't know if benefits are taxable or not - never having had any benefits I really don't know about that aspect.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Lavanda wrote:If they live in the UK I suppose it's declared in the UK. If they live in Spain, they declare in Spain. They can't live in both places at once BUT I don't know if benefits are taxable or not - never having had any benefits I really don't know about that aspect.
They'd be taxable in Spain but not the UK. No benefits are taxable in the UK. If they were you'd have heard about it from those in receipt complaining.
That's always been my question. Why don't they have to pay tax on benefits especially when in m,any cases they are in receipt of amounts of money that they could never earn as they are not qualified in any way.
It is completely wrong.It should be the same as here ; you have to declare the income regardless of what it is & where it comes from.

One thing that has always intrigued me is that if you were working , in the UK, & were off sick & receiving sick pay ( when you actually used to get it from the dhss & not employer) it used to come with the warning on it that " whilst in receipt of sickness benefit you are warned that it is an offence not to be indoors by 9pm" Sooooo, it follows that like everything the government is too lazy to do anything about this law is still on the statute books & could be used to disqualify anybody in receipt of any sickness/incapacity/disability benefit that ventures out after 9pm.
Even better idea , why don't they make it a criminal offence for anyone in receipt of benefits received whilst not working to be out after 9 ? :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Lavanda,

It is not that the UK is it's devoted slave, it is Cameron who is it's devoted slave and also any other politician that supports the EU. For some stupid reason they refuse to ignore the rules like the rest of the EU and instead would rather bankrupt the taxpayers to pay extra bunces to the EU to throw away on worthless causes, whilst our OAP's are on the worst state pension in the EU and our poor are having to source food banks ! :shock: This though is the hatred and complete disregard or scorn that the political set have for the British people.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Don't get me started on food banks :evil: :evil:

Have you ever looked at the benefit rates, absolutely no need for them. I wouldn't even donate a tin of spam! All those on benefits seem to afford to smoke and drink.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Not to forget the holidays!!!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Why would you tax benefits? It would be like giving with one hand and then taken it back with the other, which would result in extra bureaucracy and cost.
That's the sort of logic I'd expect here in Spain.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:27 pm

katy wrote:Don't get me started on food banks :evil: :evil:

Have you ever looked at the benefit rates, absolutely no need for them. I wouldn't even donate a tin of spam! All those on benefits seem to afford to smoke and drink.
And do not forget the smartphones and SKY TV.

anyroads

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:03 pm

gus-lopez wrote: They'd be taxable in Spain but not the UK. No benefits are taxable in the UK. If they were you'd have heard about it from those in receipt complaining.
That's always been my question. Why don't they have to pay tax on benefits especially when in m,any cases they are in receipt of amounts of money that they could never earn as they are not qualified in any way.
It is completely wrong.It should be the same as here ; you have to declare the income regardless of what it is & where it comes from.

One thing that has always intrigued me is that if you were working , in the UK, & were off sick & receiving sick pay ( when you actually used to get it from the dhss & not employer) it used to come with the warning on it that " whilst in receipt of sickness benefit you are warned that it is an offence not to be indoors by 9pm" Sooooo, it follows that like everything the government is too lazy to do anything about this law is still on the statute books & could be used to disqualify anybody in receipt of any sickness/incapacity/disability benefit that ventures out after 9pm.
Even better idea , why don't they make it a criminal offence for anyone in receipt of benefits received whilst not working to be out after 9 ? :thumbup:
Sorry, Gus, but that is wrong. Incapacity benefit is definitely taxable in the UK, but if it is the only income it is below the 10,000 pounds p.a. tax threshold. If anyone has another income which takes them above the 10,000 pounds threshold, tax has to be paid.
For people tax resident in Spain, and receiving benefits from the UK, the UK pay those benefits without deducting tax, and it is the responsibility of the person in receipt to declare it as income in Spain.
I hope that is clear.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:09 pm

JWhite wrote:Amazing, not one reply, now what does that tell us ? No one cares that the British DWP is opening an office in Madrid as they have nothing to worry about personally, or everyone supports people swindling their benefits? Uhhhhmmm :?
Well, now there are quite a few replies.
My reply to you, is that if you know of a benefit cheat in Spain, please feel free to report them to the DWP in the UK or at their new office in Madrid.
Personally, I have no knowledge of a single benefit cheat in Spain, so I can't help.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:27 pm

probably as good advice as any.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:56 pm

White Horse wrote: Sorry, Gus, but that is wrong. Incapacity benefit is definitely taxable in the UK, but if it is the only income it is below the 10,000 pounds p.a. tax threshold. If anyone has another income which takes them above the 10,000 pounds threshold, tax has to be paid.
You are undoubtedly correct, but since incapacity benefit is paid to people who cannot work, then probably, not many people, who are on incapacity benefit, receive more than 10,000 GBP.
I certainly know my wife didn't, here only income was her incapacity benefit.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:08 pm

gerryh wrote:
White Horse wrote: Sorry, Gus, but that is wrong. Incapacity benefit is definitely taxable in the UK, but if it is the only income it is below the 10,000 pounds p.a. tax threshold. If anyone has another income which takes them above the 10,000 pounds threshold, tax has to be paid.
You are undoubtedly correct, but since incapacity benefit is paid to people who cannot work, then probably, not many people, who are on incapacity benefit, receive more than 10,000 GBP.
I certainly know my wife didn't, here only income was her incapacity benefit.
Cheers
Gerry
Yes.
Some people on incapacity benefit also receive a pension, which takes them above the threshold. In principle incapacity benefit and many other benefits are taxable.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:55 pm

markwilding wrote:Why would you tax benefits? It would be like giving with one hand and then taken it back with the other, which would result in extra bureaucracy and cost.
That's the sort of logic I'd expect here in Spain.
Say you earn 25k & the bloke next door receives the same in various benefits. You are going to be taxed on your income, why shouldn't he ?
The majority of those in receipt cannot actually earn what they are being given therefore they are never likely to get a job. Why shouldn't they have to declare for tax. When like me, you have family
( on the wife's side . :lol: ) & relations that are in receipt of benefits the like of which they could never earn through employment I personally cannot see why it shouldn't be taxed.
Todos somos Lorca.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:09 pm

katy wrote:Don't get me started on food banks :evil: :evil:

Yes , does me in as well. I was over in Devon earlier in year. Shopping in Sainsburys , finished & then wife said I need some beans or something.
I'm standing there with daughter & grand daughter & then wife comes back with 4 tins heinz baked beans.
ME " what are they for ?"
Wife " For the food bank "
ME; " Food bank?"
Wife; " yes you know over there, for the people with no jobs, income "
ME; " let me see whether I've got this right ? " " You are buying food , Heinz baked beans, to put in to the container their that is distributed to people that have no jobs , income , etc; but are on benefits?"
Wife; "Yes"

ME" Well what about me & you who have no jobs, income, pensions, nothing & are not getting any benefits either !"
" Additionally you've bought the scroungers Heinz baked beans & Sainsburys own-brand to take home."
Oh I do like a laugh. :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Had to smile when I saw a programme on TV. One couple loaded up their newish car with 4 carrier bags of food. Not bad is it running a car on benefits 8)