carrowcrin

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: carrowcrin

Postby country boy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:05 pm

....umm....could be object....it works?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:03 pm

I am sure El Cid knows what he is doing.

Like katy (in the nicest possible way of course) he has been around the block a few times !

anyroads

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Hmmm! What does that mean :lol:

I don't mind moderation if it is fair and even. It wasn't with Frank or Julian.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Spell checking works for me. It won't pick up 'Abject' because that is a proper word. It only checks the spelling of words not the context in which they are being used.
Thanks Beach, works for me also, so was confused by the the ´Abject´ being highlighted by OP

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:29 pm

chrissiehope wrote:the phrase used is quite correct - it is [/b]'abject' not 'object' :D
I don't believe it is:-

http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/abjec ... ect-lesson

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm

:thumbup:................agree!

GerryFelch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby GerryFelch » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:45 pm

If you sadly sit all day searching the web you will always find differing views on everything...that's the nature of the beast. However;

"Abject lesson" makes perfect sense. It's a lesson that presents a "sad commentary" on a state of affairs. Claiming that a perfectly good adjective cannot modify a perfectly good noun is an "abject lesson" in hyper-correction by anally retentive control addicts. :)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:26 pm

carrowcrin wrote: spelling and grammer only only required at school.
You were taught spelling and grammar (not grammer) at school so you could communicate clearly for the rest of your life.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:38 am

costakid wrote:To add to Cids comments, C4 also put an email address on there post which again is against forum rules.
Nobody wants this forum spammed out as I'm sure all of us have benefited greatly from some of the sound advice on given here. We most certainly have.
Well said !.

And I shall be taking some of this on board, in my two days in Malaga early November.

anyroads

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:41 am

anyroads wrote:I am sure El Cid knows what he is doing.

Like katy (in the nicest possible way of course) he has been around the block a few times !

anyroads
i expect most people on this forum know what they are about, including you goodself?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:47 am

GerryFelch wrote:If you sadly sit all day searching the web you will always find differing views on everything...that's the nature of the beast. However;

"Abject lesson" makes perfect sense. It's a lesson that presents a "sad commentary" on a state of affairs. Claiming that a perfectly good adjective cannot modify a perfectly good noun is an "abject lesson" in hyper-correction by anally retentive control addicts. :)
Oh look, here we have someone so lazy they can't be bothered to write their own insults but have to search the web for one they can cut and paste. Check out the comments below this link, and here we have it, word for word:-

http://grammarist.com/usage/object-lesson/

"Abject lesson" makes perfect sense. It's a lesson that presents a "sad commentary" on a state of affairs. Claiming that a perfectly good adjective cannot modify a perfectly good noun is an "abject lesson" in hyper-correction by anally retentive control addicts.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:58 am

Interesting that the grammarist site members seemed to disagree about things, but when they say as they do "I have used xxxxx all my life" as evidence of something being correct shows some are not the full shilling! All those people who insist on writing "there" instead of "their", and the nonsensical "should of" and "could of" are probably sure they are correct, as they have always written it that way, but they are, and never will be correct - or at least I hope so! :-)
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

GerryFelch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby GerryFelch » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:09 am

Free at Last, Calm down fella, Sorry I should have written "cut n paste" but thought the quoted article spoke for itself by the nature of its formatting i.e being a stand alone piece 2 line spaces below my comment.
As to the quote "maybe you protest too much" :silent:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:15 am

Well spotted, Free at Last. Having been the victim of plagiarism in the past I deplore every aspect of it, no matter how trivial.
Let's go Brandon!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:25 am

It was a good quote though...very appropriate :lol:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Emma Styles wrote:
firsttango wrote:An abject lesson in NOT to reply and submit whilst angered, but if you do then strongly suggest a prior reread, and that spell checker and grammar are implemented.
Spell checker not working!
Nobody loves a pedant, not related to an old bike rider are you ??

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Interesting that the grammarist site members seemed to disagree about things, but when they say as they do "I have used xxxxx all my life" as evidence of something being correct shows some are not the full shilling! All those people who insist on writing "there" instead of "their", and the nonsensical "should of" and "could of" are probably sure they are correct, as they have always written it that way, but they are, and never will be correct - or at least I hope so! :-)
The problem with your theory is that grammar rules change through the years as do the use of words.

I would suggest the use of a comma before "but" isn't correct, even though I've often seen it.

In the end this is Andalucia.com where posts don't need to be a work of literary genius and posters should be free to post using language they feel comfortable with, without fear of ridicule.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:19 am

markwilding wrote: I would suggest the use of a comma before "but" isn't correct, even though I've often seen it.
I can't agree with you on this.

It is not essential, but is correct to use it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... v258.shtml

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises ... age_06.htm

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am

We have to agree to disagree then.
The way I see it is that in formal writing commas should be used but as I would avoid using "but" in formal writing and use an alternative word, It's not an issue.

I always find it odd to see commas with And, So, Because and But.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:58 am

It never fails to amaze me how some people get so incensed about incorrect spelling ...

Surely the most important thing is to be able to communicate in the best way one can ?

I struggled with speech in my early life, being dyslexic can be very trying at times and I was not helped by petty minded people who were forever making fun or telling me off for my mistakes.
And I still find people who continually pick faults over such trivialities to be arrogant and boring.

Nuff sed...methinks.... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon.... :wave: