Vulcan's last flights

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Vulcan's last flights

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 pm

For anyone who is a.) interested & b.) in UK at the time, here is a lsit of dates when the newly restored Vulcan will take to the skies in various locations (not all decided yet) around the country
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vulcan's last flights

Postby country boy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 am

For those of us in the know and friends of Vulcan, might I add this later piece of, very PC, modern info: ( I give up!).

http://tinyurl.com/p4jvcc2

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:08 am

Should be kept flying for airshows. As famous as Concorde.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:21 am

If they could, they would, but apparently there is no longer the expertise available to do that.

At least there are now plans to get Concorde in the air again.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:52 am

I've enjoyed the last few summers seeing the Vulcan at various shows, a true icon of a plane.
I still think it's both an awesome achievement and a disgrace that Vulcan was only able to do this by crowd funding and donations. The money in the name of "arts" donated by successive governments on crap is laughable, when this peacekeeper of the 60's 70's and 80's was left to rot.

The rumours are nice about Concord but no way will it happen.
I'm afraid the vocal minority of the green element will try its best to scupper the plans.

Coupled with the recent accidents at airshows I think the support Concord would need from the original airframe and engine builders will be hard to get, especially without official government backing.

At least we still have the B of B memorial flight to amaze us............the faces of people from 3 to 93 when they fly over brings a lump every time for me.

I really hope some of our taxes go towards preserving these two fabulous jets for future generations, it's a disgrace if it doesn't IMHO.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:45 am

Devils Advocate wrote:
I really hope some of our taxes go towards preserving these two fabulous jets for future generations, it's a disgrace if it doesn't IMHO.
They manage to find £11m for the Red Arrows, so I can't see why they cannot support the Vulcan - I would rather see that fly overhead that the Red Arrows. The Vulcan has a history - the Red Arrows do not - good though they are.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:59 am

I think they all have a rich history Sid and should all be government funded.

As an aside I served my toolmaking apprenticeship at a top class precision engineering factory. One of my first jobs was "roughing out" on a huge milling machine both the landing legs and the tail plane spigots of the Hawk.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:25 pm

I once saw the Vulcans fly straight above the Mall and over Buckingham Palace. Amazing sight. I think I saw the two last Thursday, nothing listed but we were sitting beside the River Arun when they came from nowhere and did a manoeuvre around Arundel Castle. Perhaps they were practising.

Mixed feelings about Concorde, it was an achievement but at great cost to the taxpayer. Don't want to sound like Corbynites but we were subsiding the likes of Michael Winner, Princess Margaret et al to get to the Caribbean in 3 hours...nice, but out of the reach of most. I flew back from New York on a Concorde. There was a special offer, fly out Business class and return on Concorde.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:42 pm

As a youngster, I remember both English Electric Lightnings, and Vulcans, at a couple of Farnborough air shows. Awesome!

In the case of the Lightnings, one of the party pieces was for a couple of them to do a low level dash across the crowds' heads, unannounced on the PA. First you blinked, then you heard the engines and ducked! Made a lasting impression on a small boy.

Years later, had similar scary experience, cycling with my wife along a silent Glen Torridon. All of a sudden, a large but silent shadow passed above us. A second or so later, the supersonic bang, as a pair of fighters practised level terrain flight down the glen, twisting as they went. Heck.
Chris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:36 pm

I've watched Vulcan bombers numerous times... always impressed.!
However watching the Lancaster Bomber is the one aircraft that still sends shivers down my spine, seemed so slow but the drone of the engine and the menacing look of the aircraft are memorable to me..And usually accompanied by the fabulous Spitfire and in the late 1960's I had several flights with Squadron Leader 'Ginger' Lacey who was the Spitfire pilot who shot down the German bomber that was attacking Buckingham Palace. ( When I flew with him it was in a Cessna, but I think that he still thought he was flying a Spitfire...hair-raising to say the least ! ). :shock:
Although I was in the Royal Navy I did work as flight deck crew on an aircraft carrier for a few years,we had Sea Vixens, Gannets and Wessex and Whirlwind helicopters on board,at the time they seemed so fast and 'state of the art' aircraft....!!...

Regards,
Gordon

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 pm

I watched the Vulcan bomber flights in "When Britian rules the skies" and marvelled at the creativity of the British military aircraft industry after the war. Sadly because Britain wasn't so rich and consecutive governments didn't invest or support enough for the industry so that at the moment there isn't a single war-plane made in Britain and have to buy American airplanes for these 2 new aircraft carriers.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:54 am

The Typhoon and Tornado aircraft both have a significant UK content. Surely it makes perfect sense to develop and manufacture such sophisticated aircraft jointly with other European countries.

ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisM » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:
At least we still have the B of B memorial flight to amaze us............the faces of people from 3 to 93 when they fly over brings a lump every time for me.
We were in a restaurant a few years ago, and the Lanc and a Hurricane flew over very low. Three times. Pure magic. 25% of the great British public even paid but scant attention when I went outside to have a close look. Their loss, but a signpost to the decline of national identity. And respect for those who gave us the luxury of the lives we now lead.

For those of you with the inclination, feel free to join me as a Battle of Britain Memorial Flight supporter:
http://www.memorialflightclub.com/
Mañana