TEFL (teaching English as a first language) course

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

TEFL (teaching English as a first language) course

Postby Len S » Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 am

The son of a friend is proposing to pay for a TEFL course in Spain prior to using it during a working,"gap year".

He has been given the details of a school in Malaga, Malaga Lenguas, which is located on the Plaza de la Misericordia in Malaga.

Has anyone had any dealings with this school? Could anyone advise on how to establish whether it is a bone fide establishment, reputation etc.?

If you have had experience of other language schools in Malaga which run the TEFL course and which have a good reputation, could you let me know please?

Many Thanks.

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: TEFL (teaching English as a first language) course

Postby lmj56 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:33 am

English as a Second Language is also known as English for speakers of other languages (ESOL), English as an additional language (EAL) and as English as a foreign language (EFL).

It is not as a first language

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon May 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks for the response lmj56 but I don't understand the your response and how it relates to my question.

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon May 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Ooops, excuse the typo!!

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon May 02, 2016 12:18 pm

I would like to add that TEFL is Teaching English as a Foreign Language. :thumbup:

I teach now and again and I took an online ICAL course a while ago which seems plenty as long as you have a university degree to go along with it. Lots of school advertise their teachers as graduates and native speakers.

They may wants to look at TECS Employment who recruit for and run English summer camps in Spain.... :wave: :wave:

Quoting Enrique quoting someone else 'hope that helps'. :clap:

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon May 02, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks Unicorn. That is useful information. Also apologies lmj56 , just realised that I typed "first" instead of "foreign" :crazy: . That is what happens when typing a message whilst having a separate conversation with the OH at the same time.

D1ckyS
Tourist

Postby D1ckyS » Mon May 02, 2016 1:55 pm

The two organisations offering TEFL qualifications are Trinity College and Cambridge CELTA, both based in the UK. You should be able to verify any outfit offering their courses by contacting those two direct. They should also be able to give you a list of all schools in Spain offering their courses. TEFL.com is also a great resource. I did my course many moons ago in Galicia and had a wonderful time.